PDA

View Full Version : dizzy bearing and seal?

lostforawhile
04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Has anyone found a source for the dizzy bearing and seal? They can be rebuilt like dizzys even before electronic. Ignition, the main failure is the bearing and seal, part numbers would be killer, im working with the guys at ratsun to find a supplier,as they also have old hitachi dizzys

Dr_Snooz
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
There was extensive discussion about bearings and seals in the Lazy Rebuild thread. I know you're working with a different distributor, but maybe it will help?

www.3geez.com/forum/technical/66468-lazy-mans-distributor-overhaul-tec-distributor.html

HLW
04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Global Auto Parts in Stockton, CA has the seal on Ebay with and without the dist o-ring for TEC distributors.

Honda Acura Distributor Seal O Ring 2 PC Set Made in Japan | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-Distributor-Seal-O-Ring-2-pc-Set-Made-in-Japan-/160967925032?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257a6f9d28&vxp=mtr)

I've used that seal on my '86 DX. Got the same for my '89 LX-i. Will try to install the seal this weekend.

Haven't needed to search for the bearings yet.

lostforawhile
04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
You found the seal! I think the bearing is an sk, if I can get the bearing part number, I can order it from bearings and drives locally, the carb guys are lucky, these dizzys are built like old points distributors, and are simple, a lot of later honda ones are disposable,if you try and take them apart, it ruins the electronics

cygnus x-1
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
The bearing and seal information for the Tec is in the lazy rebuild thread:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/technical/66468-lazy-mans-distributor-overhaul-tec-distributor.html

For the Hitachi, you might just have to take it apart and measure.

C|

lostforawhile
04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
well I found the seal number and it's been shown to fit the dx dizzy, I just need to find the bearings number, I see a number for the bearing for the TEC anyone know if it's the same?

Dr_Snooz
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
You found the seal! I think the bearing is an sk, if I can get the bearing part number, I can order it from bearings and drives locally, the carb guys are lucky, these dizzys are built like old points distributors, and are simple, a lot of later honda ones are disposable,if you try and take them apart, it ruins the electronics

I've been wondering how these cars would handle an EMP attack. Would we be rolling around, laughing at the Prius', or would we be SOL?

2oodoor
04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I've been wondering how these cars would handle an EMP attack. Would we be rolling around, laughing at the Prius', or would we be SOL?

Good grief...to be honest I wondered too.

I think anything using IC and "chips" would be affected, not self sustaining power sources. An unloaded ignitir will self destruct so thats a coin toss surviving electro magnetic attacks unless somebody wants to prsent theory. Everthing else is self sustaining as far as running the engine A20A1 (minus carb controls which can be bypassed)
Unrealistic is the drama series "revolution" it portrays not even dc power electrics work but if that were possible every carbon based energy source would be non existant which would include lving things. We are dc batteries.

griffs68
04-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Good grief...to be honest I wondered too.

I think anything using IC and "chips" would be affected, not self sustaining power sources. An unloaded ignitir will self destruct so thats a coin toss surviving electro magnetic attacks unless somebody wants to prsent theory. Everthing else is self sustaining as far as running the engine A20A1 (minus carb controls which can be bypassed)
Unrealistic is the drama series "revolution" it portrays not even dc power electrics work but if that were possible every carbon based energy source would be non existant which would include lving things. We are dc batteries.
was wondering about that with the show, telling me a diesel tractor wouldn't run if you could crank it?

Dr_Snooz
04-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm pretty sure my old pickup will run. It's carbed and I don't think there's an IC in the whole thing. I'm confident that the 3g's ECU will get cooked though. If the default fuel maps get cooked too, then it's pretty much curtains for all the FI cars. The carb cars might lose the stereo and most of the fine tune controls on the carbs but they will probably limp along well enough.

cygnus x-1
04-05-2013, 09:12 AM
An EMP would fry the spark ignitor and the voltage regulator since they both contain transistors. You could run without an alternator for a little while but not without the ignitor. Points ignition should still work. Mechanical diesels would still work as long as the starter and glow plug switches are mechanical.

C|

Dr_Snooz
04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Bummer. I guess that would cook my truck too.

Jafir
08-07-2013, 01:33 PM
was wondering about that with the show, telling me a diesel tractor wouldn't run if you could crank it?

Exactly. There should be people driving around in diesel land rovers too. My defender only needs one wire to run, and it goes to the fuel cut in the injection pump. Should be pretty easy to rig a mechanical bypass.You could easily push start a land rover. Heck, my buddies kubota tractor had a mechanical fuel cut in the IP.

Dr_Snooz
08-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I've been reading up a little more on EMPs. From what I've read, and I'm no expert, small devices are relatively immune to an EMP attack. The problem comes when you connect them to the electric grid. The network of wires absorbs and amplifies the pulse and sends it down the lines to everything connected to them. There is a chance that our cars would still run following an EMP attack.

If there were an EMP strike, all we'd have to do is get in the car, drive into the nearest traffic jam and watch the nukes start falling...

Oh. :ugh2: