PDA

View Full Version : Pics of My Catalytic Converter Installation

Dr_Snooz
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Nothing special here, I just wanted to share pics of the superior job the muffler shop did installing the new cat in my truck. Smog laws are so inane here now that most muffler shops won't install a cat that you bring to them. I saved $100-200 ordering my cat online, so it was worth calling all over town to find a shop willing to put it in. I went to the cheapest place, Gary's Muffler Shop in Fresno, hoping for a mediocre job. The guy who helped me was covered in grime from head to toe at 9 in the morning. LOL His name was Mike.

Here is the result:

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/IMG_1091_zps8e6c5cc1.jpg

His weld is the one in the middle. It's equal to or better than the factory welds on either side.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/IMG_1090_zpsc88b8356.jpg

The new cat was shorter than the old one, so he had to add an extender piece. The extension is clean and straight. He took the time to install the cat flat so it wouldn't protrude from the underside of the truck into the roadway. Again, the welds are equal to or better than the factory welds on the cat.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/IMG_1092_zpsb6ae81b4.jpg

I've had shops in the past who cut off the factory hangers and threw them away, leaving my exhaust system to dangle in the wind and rattle over every bump. Mike carefully cut out the old cat so as to preserve the factory hanger. His welds near the hanger are great, given the difficult space.

These welds are under the truck where no one will really ever see them. He could have done a crappy job, but he did a great one. I'm really happy with the results and wanted to share.

:D

Vanilla Sky
04-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't trust a shop with clean techs. The guy covered in grease by 9 AM means business.

cygnus x-1
04-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I don't trust a shop with clean techs. The guy covered in grease by 9 AM means business.

Exactly. It also means they're probably used to working on older vehicles, not just dealer maintained beauty queens.

With clean metal there is no excuse for crappy welds (assuming you are a professional). Mike gets an "A".

C|

griffs68
04-08-2013, 03:59 PM
most true muffler shops do not "weld" in the sense of useing a actual welding machine, they typically braise... this is much easier and allows you to get to the top weld with no fuss :)

Vanilla Sky
04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
While that make sense, I haven't ever seen an exhaust that was brazed together. MIG is easier to use, and it reduces the risk of setting the car on fire.

griffs68
04-08-2013, 05:32 PM
when o got the '68 stands exhaust done all they did was get it all hung together and heat the joints & braze away. When i was doing cats i used a wire feed it was a PITA.

Dr_Snooz
04-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Mike used a Mig mostly and did a little finish with brazing. He pulled the brazer out after I complimented his Mig welds. He tack welded without a welding mask and only put the mask on after I scolded him. LOL

cygnus x-1
04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Brazing would be ok on a new system if you have nice clean slip joints. For old work I would think it would be an exercise in frustration.

And yeah, those hard to reach places are a bitch. When I redid the exhaust on my Prelude I think I invented some new 4 letter words. So now for any major exhaust work I tack everything together to fit and then finish weld off the car. It takes longer but makes it so much easier.

C|

Vanilla Sky
04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm in the tack in place, pull and weld camp. It's the only way I know for sure. My sanity is more important than a few minutes of work right now.