PDA

View Full Version : Plans for A20a1 build?

1989 DX R
05-12-2002, 10:35 AM
So after this summer, I hope to have enough cash to do a bit of building on my stock A20a1. I need a new clutch, so I figured I might as well rebuild the block and such with gaskets and seals, get the head and block milled and a p&p job too. Headers, (hopefully) and a 2.25" exhaust out the back, high-flow cat. and muffler. Maybe a flywheel lightening job, and a cam grind (justanothermike's?) and cam gears. I also wanted to get either a dual carb setup...or a single Weber...and that is where I am not so sure on where to go.

I hope to spend under $5000 on the whole build, but the carb setup is what I expect to take the most money. Which way should I go, dual Webers or a single Weber on the stock manifold?

Any other comments on my plans, please tell me!

A20A1
05-12-2002, 11:18 AM
First of what is that brown turd in your avatar pic?

second... if you have the money go for the dual webers... but also you may want to get the a20a3 since the compression is a bit higer... it may be better to have a second used engine outside the car so you can still drive around while you build it up.

The single carb is just simpler to install since you don't need a custom manifold.

I know a few guys with a toyota 22R motor running a 32/36 DGV and they all want to swap to the Dual DCOE's...

1989 DX R
05-12-2002, 12:05 PM
I would be getting the higher comp. pistons

[edit]

Its a Domo-Kun.

Justanothermike
05-15-2002, 12:22 AM
go with an aluminum flywheel. it will turm your engine into a motorcycle engine:bow: :D

joker2
05-15-2002, 04:14 AM
Meaning what, it will rev a lot quicker or something.......

killerb09
05-15-2002, 10:31 AM
comparisin of stock to alum flywheels
rev your stock one....to limit see how it took you a minute....now withthe alum do the same see how it took 3 seconds?
you can get the stock one lightened too...loose top end but gain in low

1989 DX R
05-15-2002, 12:00 PM
So, supposing I go with Mike's flywheel and cam, headers, gears, and Weber carb, what kind of gains would I get?

Justanothermike
05-15-2002, 02:42 PM
u should be able to run 16s with out a doubt and even high 15s

A20A1
05-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Unless you own an automatic, and forget to check the float valve to see if if it's blocking the fuel... :rolleyes:

toastyghost
05-16-2002, 07:22 PM
If you're throwing down that much feta on your stock engine why the hell wouldn't you just swap it? I mean for 5 large, you could get a type R kit doing your own labor, or have some less pricey B-series fully built and installed. There must be some advantages to ubercarbing or people wouldn't do it. I'm kind of curious because I haven't really looked into carb upgrades and stuff like that too much...

1989 DX R
05-16-2002, 07:49 PM
I have a 5 speed, so its all good.

The reason I am throwing so much $$$ at my stock engine is because its rather pointless to make my car "go fast" with a newer engine anyways, and I would rather keep the stock one.

A20A1
05-16-2002, 09:55 PM
I think it's better having a built up old school engine... even if you don't have gob's of HP you'd still turn some heads when you say it's a N/A A20... :bow:

Justanothermike
05-16-2002, 10:19 PM
yeah thats wut we're goin for too. I love it when up at the track people have this "wut is that:confused: !? this thing does 15s, when SIs are struggling with 16s" look on their faces when they look at the accords. ha

joker2
05-17-2002, 04:13 AM
That's what I've done and to tell you the truth a good quality A20 build-up will cost way less than some B-series build-up.... If you do your research on these little engines you'll find that they produce a great deal of torque and I'm talking stock, more than a lot of the B-series engines...... If you take your engine, overbore it, throw in some Honda pistons, port and polish the head, get larger throttle body, new cam and gear, thinner head gasket for higher compression, new high flow injectors/ fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator, and a nice ignition system like MSD or something and your talking about a car that will kill most imports on the streets..... Anyone can feel free to add to that list but that's just my personel mods to my baby and believe me I didn't spend anywhere near 5g's........:flash: :flash:

1989 DX R
05-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I wanted a car that can smoke the riceboys around here, and look shitty while doing it. Plus, I can feed them BS like it comes stock this way hahahaha!

A20A1
05-17-2002, 01:51 PM
Better yet... tell them you swapped in an A20... then they go to a performance store asking where they can buy an A20 and the Shop owner is like... You on crack kid????

CARBurn
05-19-2002, 03:47 PM
Oh yes, stay with the A20, I definitely feel these motors don't get the respect they deserve.

To many people on those B-series engines. Its good to be different and go n/a with the A20.