PDA

View Full Version : Hard start and gas smell from tail pipe

pablo3264
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I've been experiencing hard starts constantly on my car for the past few weeks. I've gotten new injectors 2 different times already. The first set I thought was leaking after the car was off and causing fuel to leak into the cylinders, then got these new GP Sorensen injectors and still had the problem so i doubt theyre the injectors. I also have a new fuel filter as well if it makes any difference.

Then I thought it was my FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) since I smelled gas in the vaccum line going the the FPR itself so I replaced it. (might as well since it was old as hell)

I've taken out my spark plugs already to see if they smelled of gas or were covered in fuel at all and they werent but I could smell vapors from the spark plug holes/tubes so no idea.

Then, I decided to replace my PCV valve anyways since the one on the car was old as shit and let me tell you, it was a big pain in the ass. The thing would not pull out and the grommet wasn't even rubber anymore it was hard as shit. After cutting into it for about 2 hours I managed to replace the PCV and grommet successfully. But I could smell gas coming from the intake manifold where the PCV valve vacuum line connects to.

Furthermore, I got my battery tested at my local Oreillys since the battery was from 2009 and it was low on Cold Cranking Amps, it was at about 350 ish and its suppose to be the in 600's+ but the overall battery checked out fine. I will replace it anyways soon but that doesn't explain the fuel smell coming heavily from my tail pipe on startup.

I'm stuck on what to do next on this issue because I still have to get my lude to pass smog and don't want to be running rich or anything. I have a new Denso Oxygen Sensor waiting to be put on along with my pacesetter tomorrow since I finally gotten all the parts in the mail.

Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks!

2oodoor
04-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Try looking at the air side of the mixture, clean the throttle body up good with a tooth brush and throttle body cleaner. Fresh air filter.
Spark plug wires including the coil wire couldn't hurt, and check the distributor out good for broken primary wires, proper advancing mechanisms.
Do you smell raw gas inside the car or are you going outside to smell it?

Dr_Snooz
04-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Do things change on a cold vs. a warm start?

Dr_Snooz
04-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Some tips for fixing problems with your car.

1. If there is a check engine light, we need to know about it. This is rule #1.
2. Fix the check engine light first. The car is telling you what's wrong. Learn to listen.
3. Do NOT fix a car by blindly throwing parts at it. Test and verify that the parts are bad before changing them. If you don't know how, ask us or check the manual for directions.

From your other thread, you have two different CEL codes. When you get those sorted out, you'll have your problem fixed. If not, let us know and we can go from there.

pablo3264
04-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Some tips for fixing problems with your car.

1. If there is a check engine light, we need to know about it. This is rule #1.
2. Fix the check engine light first. The car is telling you what's wrong. Learn to listen.
3. Do NOT fix a car by blindly throwing parts at it. Test and verify that the parts are bad before changing them. If you don't know how, ask us or check the manual for directions.

From your other thread, you have two different CEL codes. When you get those sorted out, you'll have your problem fixed. If not, let us know and we can go from there.

Yes I'm getting a code 6 for a coolant temp sensor which I swapped out today along with new o2 sensor to go with the pacesetter I also just installed.

I'm leaning towards a bad battery more now because after the stuff i installed she wouldnt crank over and lights were dimmed out. My bro gave me a jump since he was there helping me and viola started up like it was no one's business. Althought I doubt this rules out the fuel smell on start up.

And its hard to start mainly when cold.

Might get a new battery tomorrow tho

Dr_Snooz
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
STOP!!!!! See rule #3 again. Do not blindly swap out parts without testing them. Your manual has extensive flowcharts telling you exactly how to diagnose those trouble codes. Follow them. You could have several other problems causing your trouble codes and you need to test for all of them before buying parts.

TEST the battery too.

How to Check Your Car Battery - For Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-check-your-car-battery.html)
How to Check a Car Battery: 9 Steps - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Car-Battery)

Seriously. This is important. If you just go buying parts and hoping, you'll end up broke and frustrated. Take a deep breath, buy the tools you need and do proper diagnosis.

Got it?

pablo3264
04-08-2013, 01:55 AM
STOP!!!!! See rule #3 again. Do not blindly swap out parts without testing them. Your manual has extensive flowcharts telling you exactly how to diagnose those trouble codes. Follow them. You could have several other problems causing your trouble codes and you need to test for all of them before buying parts.

TEST the battery too.

How to Check Your Car Battery - For Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-check-your-car-battery.html)
How to Check a Car Battery: 9 Steps - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Car-Battery)

Seriously. This is important. If you just go buying parts and hoping, you'll end up broke and frustrated. Take a deep breath, buy the tools you need and do proper diagnosis.

Got it?

Haha I know but I tested the battery again last night with my brothers tester and it was bad 100% even after trying to charge it for a long time. Given it's age it was no surprise.

For the code 6 the new sensor was like what 5 bucks? It didnt bother me to swap it out anyway. I might have a broken wire or something and when I get the change I'll spend a good chunk of my day with diagnosing.

I might borrow a buddies ECU and swap it out and to see if it's the ECU itself (which i doubt) but why not its free :P

And yeah good lookin though Snooz I really appreciate it!

Dr_Snooz
04-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Sounds good. I know I used to fix cars and it got expensive real quick. It's much better to test. In most cases, you can buy the tools to do the tests for cheaper than the parts. Then you have the tools the next time.