PDA

View Full Version : Weber 32/36 Passes Oregon DEQ, Stock Exhaust

PDXAccord79
04-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Figured I'd post this here if anyone needs it. I just passed DEQ!! They gave me some trouble for not having a cat but let me go after looking at the exhaust and gas system. They did not complain about the carb. Numbers are mine/standard. Here's the numbers:

HC (PPM)
197/300

CO(%)
1.9709/2.5

CO+CO2
13/6

Ditch that bitch Keihin! The Weber works great and is totally worth it!!!

2oodoor
04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
go to walmart and buy a frame to put that paper in, that is way cooler than you can imagine!

2ndGenGuy
04-06-2013, 03:42 PM
LOL wow, looks like you passed with flying colors. And with NO CAT? Sounds like Oregon has some common sense when it comes to smog at least. Pass the sniffer, good to go!

PDXAccord79
04-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I had it set at 750 rpm idle. It runs like a dog when the fan kicks in at that speed but it made it through great. Drove down the road, got out, set it back up to 900 and she's happy again. I'm amazed the numbers are so low with no cat as well. Honda made something cool with CVCC.

2ndGenGuy
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
That's the funny thing, with the Weber, the CVCC has basically been disabled. You've lost the separate mixtures that the stock carb creates. I'm curious how it would do with the stock carb w/o cat. Then Weber w/ cat.

ecogabriel
04-06-2013, 08:14 PM
That's the funny thing, with the Weber, the CVCC has basically been disabled. You've lost the separate mixtures that the stock carb creates. I'm curious how it would do with the stock carb w/o cat. Then Weber w/ cat.

The stock carb provided a rich mixture for the smaller chamber and a lean one for the cylinder, right? With a cat installed, the numbers would be lower (maybe much lower).
Interesting of letting you pass despite not having the cat - well, the car passed anyway. Maybe you should get one and keep it just in case.

Dr_Snooz
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
That's great! We're all moving to Oregon now.

79cord
04-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Don't forget that Accords didn't need or fit a CAT 'til late '80 thanks to the lean-burning CVCC, even if there were some power disadvantages. Not even sure if there would be much room for one, since I thought that was why the floor/central tunnel & shift linkage were rebuilt for '81.
Congratulations upon the result, no doubt a great relief. So glad you are finally getting a chance to use it.

PDXAccord79
04-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I thought the 32/36 still provided the different mixes and the 38/38 disables CVCC completely.

Hazwan
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Congrats (Y)

So how exactly would the engine works when the CVCC system is disabled? How does the spark plug ignite the mixture?

2ndGenGuy
04-07-2013, 11:12 PM
The stock carb essentially is 2 carbs in one. The 3rd barrel is about as big around as a pencil and feeds the aux chambers in the head with a rich mixture. The 2 main barrels feed the combustion chambers with a lean mixture. It was the earliest technology allowing lean burn. The lean mixture is too hard to ignite with a spark plug, hence why the spark plug feeds into the rich mixture, which ignites easily, and that in turn ignites the main combustion chamber.

With any carb that is not stock, you are just feeding a more-or-less stoichiometric mixture into both chambers. Which is why you'll notice the little runner in the adapter plate that feeds the tiny hole in the intake manifold. That essentially just feeds the aux chambers with the mixture from the regular barrels from the Weber (or any other) carb.

Hazwan
04-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Ahh so the aux port is used even with non-stock carbs too. That makes sense now.

lostforawhile
04-08-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who still understands CVCC I used to rebuild those carbs for people back in the day. Dont be fooled by "rich" mixture, the two combine to still create a very lean mixture

Dr_Snooz
04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who still understands CVCC

You aren't.

PDXAccord79
04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
I swear one of the coolest things about this car has been seeing and learning about the unusual stuff like CVCC. I will slowly become a 1G master!

2ndGenGuy
04-11-2013, 12:00 PM
We need more 1g Masters! :bow:

lostscotiaguy
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Did someone say Keihin? no? Ok... I'll go away then... :)

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2013, 08:04 PM
:rofl:

79cord
04-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Keihin made plenty of m/cycle carburetors to..... ;)

Dr_Snooz
04-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Do any of them still work?

PDXAccord79
04-14-2013, 09:44 AM
So I still have the surging issue going on with it after almost 1000 miles of driving. It only happens between 2500-3000 RPM in 5th gear which is basically 65 MPH. I've been reading on other forums that my jets might be off. It also seems to be a bit cranky when I try to start it after it's been ran to operating temp then shut off and left to sit for 15-20 min. It will start but it takes a little bit of finesse. If I let it sit for a short amount of time (5 min) or a longer amount of time (30 min) it will fire right back up no issues. Idle is fine once I get it started. Any ideas?

2ndGenGuy
04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Mine does the same thing with the warm starts. The problem is that the choke closes too damn soon, so you sit there and try to start it and it kinda floods the engine. If you hold the gas pedal down wide open while you crank it, it will start right up, but I'm not sure how good that is for the engine, even if you let off the throttle right away. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this right now, since I just tore down the carb and rebuilt it, I figure I might as well try to get it set right. The only adjustment you can really do is undo the 3 screws on the back and twist the cover. But I'm not sure why the damn thing closes so soon when the engine is still warm.

PDXAccord79
04-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Well that makes almost too much sense. Once I get my new ignition coil issue figured out I can play with the choke again. Mine just went out today, not sure why.

I've noticed holding it open to start it works. It seems to only jump up to around 2k when I do it so I don't think it's causing a lot of damage. It is already warm and ready to go.