PDA

View Full Version : paint yourself?

89AccordHatch
10-30-2002, 08:27 PM
anyway to paint a car yourself?

Neuspeed87lx
10-30-2002, 08:43 PM
one of my friends used spray paint on his 3g and it looks tight, he just taped all the stuff he didnt want painted and sprayed away ....im sure if you had the right tools you could do a nice prof. lookin job but not many people have the tools to paint a car layin around the house...

pmip
10-30-2002, 08:53 PM
I'm going to be painting my 3g myself over Thanksgiving break. If you want to use good paint, you're going to need an air compressor and a HVLP paint gun. Polyurethane paint is the best if you're doing it in your garage (withough an oven or heating lamps), but is pretty expensive. All the prep work is VERY time consuming, if you don't have a lot of time or want your paint to be absolutely perfect, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

jigga225
10-30-2002, 11:28 PM
pleeze dont spraypaint it wit a can.
get a nice setup man.... you could spend more on materials if you wanna go a cheap way, goto factobake
IF U MUST

larnaton
10-31-2002, 06:49 AM
Believe it or not, spray painting can actually look very VERY nice... The trick is to warm your spraypaint can before you use it... a bucket of hot water works perfectly.... I just repainted my hood and you'd never be able to tell that it's sp unless you look very carefully.... Make sure you have an easy color to paint though, like white, black... those metallic colors are tricky

socal3rdgen
10-31-2002, 08:36 AM
mines white. 8 cans. :P campared to my faded burgundy it looks a whole lot better. it doesnt look bad. just be careful. when ppl see my car i want it to say "under construction" instead of "wtf is that with the faded paint" it looked like $hit.

Neuspeed87lx
10-31-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by larnaton
Believe it or not, spray painting can actually look very VERY nice... The trick is to warm your spraypaint can before you use it... a bucket of hot water works perfectly.... I just repainted my hood and you'd never be able to tell that it's sp unless you look very carefully.... Make sure you have an easy color to paint though, like white, black... those metallic colors are tricky

your right

1989se-i
10-31-2002, 11:31 AM
What kinda paint would you use if you had the right equipment? Would it be cheaper just to let the pro's paint it?

pmip
10-31-2002, 11:59 AM
If you already have the right equipment, there are basically 3 types of paints you can use if you want to do the work yourself. Lacquer is relatively cheap, and really easy to put on, although it needs a bunch of coats. The problem is that it is really fragile, needs lots of buffing when it's dy, and has been outlawed by many states. One-part enamels are extremely cheap, durability is pretty good, but is harder to spray on. Two-part enamels are pretty expensive (primer, reducer, paint, etc. can be almost $400 depending on the color), but are very durable and dry really fast. Most professional paint jobs cost $2000 or over (Maaco doesn't count), so even a two-part enamel diy job can be a lot cheaper.

Site
10-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Check this site out - it seems to be a great DIY painjob resource:
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqpnt.htm