PDA

View Full Version : Will Konis do the trick?

Chrome_thangs
10-31-2002, 02:05 AM
I'm expecting my Koni's from Shox.com in the mail anyday now. Will they kill all that damn bouncing and the feeling my car is going to fall apart when i hit a pot hole? I'm not expecting it to ride bump free because of the 18's i'm running, but will they at least greatly improve my ride?

AZmike
10-31-2002, 08:37 AM
The biggest difference is that they will reduce the oscillations that you get after you hit a bump. Everyone that gets konis seems to notice a huge decrease in bouncing. I'm not sure how much they'll do to smooth out the harsh ride you're getting from those 18's though.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-31-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
I'm expecting my Koni's from Shox.com in the mail anyday now. Will they kill all that damn bouncing and the feeling my car is going to fall apart when i hit a pot hole? I'm not expecting it to ride bump free because of the 18's i'm running, but will they at least greatly improve my ride?

They should offer you a immediate improvement in how the car ride's and drives. Now on the pot hole thing. I was running 15's with a fair amount of sidewall meat and springs that are softer than your sprints and a 1.5" drop with more suspension travel than your 2.25 drop offers. Even with those plus's vs your setup their were times when I'd hit a pot hole and it felt as if I'd ran over a land mine, sound wise that is. It didn't upset the car or anything, it's just the sound just makes you hecka guilty. What I'm trying to say is I think the koni's will handle pot hole's better, almost certainly. But even with the plus's I had on my car, pot holes were something I hated, even with stock springs and struts for that matter. So the only thing that come's to my mind that would be a pot hole warrior would be a car with stock springs, Koni's, and stock rims and tire's. Neither one of use I think would be willing to ever do that again.:D

On your install, set the struts 1 1/2 turns off full soft rebound. Before you do anything make sure you have a allen key that has a perfect no wiggle fit into the top of the strut shaft. And I would resist the tempation to trim allot of the Koni bumpstops, absolutely don't trim them down more than half. I'd do 3/4 if it were my car. REASON: Since you specifically mention pot hole's, you want the protection of the bump stops for that.

If you look at the rear struts they have a dual position for the spring perches. You might want to use the higher one to offset the springs not having as much drop in the front, just a thought.

jteuton
10-31-2002, 01:50 PM
Be careful with 215/35 's......even though they are chrome....potholes can eat a rim alive. If you had billets with them tires I would expect to see you getting two new wheels every year but as least chrome plated steel is stouter than that.

Chrome_thangs
10-31-2002, 04:32 PM
Thanks Jim, Your explanation helped alot!