PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic Buddy Ripped Me Off!

Site
10-31-2002, 07:41 AM
This shite is gonna surprise you guys - I'm still in a state of confusion about it . . .

Several months ago (about 6, I think), I paid a mechanic friend of mine $300 to install a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch that I purchased new from someone on 3Geez. I was surprised at how "stock" it felt and how quickly it wore out. I've commented often on the board about it when someone asks about Centerforce clutches.

I'm replacing the clutch myself, now. I finally removed the tranny last night (lol - it took me 3 days; I'm such a novice!). I expected to see the bright red pressure plate of the Centerforce clutch. Instead, I found a STOCK PRESSURE PLATE! From the wear (teeth are badly worn) it appears to be the factory installed clutch.

Once I remove the clutch, I'm going to take it to him and confront him. He's very bad with managing his money, so I know he won't have the $300 to give me (actually, he owes me the price of the clutch, too). I would ask him to repay me by working on my car - but there's no way I'm going to trust him with that. He does have a paint bay in his shop; I may ask him to paint my car if I provide the paint.

Anyway, forget everything I've posted about Centerforce clutches.

Neuspeed87lx
10-31-2002, 07:57 AM
thats terrible ...especially because he is a friend..so did he keep the clutch and sell it or something ? first i would get that back...then get him to paint your car or something ...then kick his ass

ACCORD EX
10-31-2002, 10:19 AM
that's why i am asking someone to do a clutch how to and prevent that from happening again ! :(

MIKE

socal3rdgen
10-31-2002, 10:33 AM
:bow: clutch how-to

guaynabo89
10-31-2002, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear about that, Site.

The centerforce still blows so it would probably feel the same. Centerforce uses a stock pressure plate thats why they don't hold much more than stock clutch.

If this is your buddy for real and cheated you like that it says alot about the character of this person.

I say get something good out of him and let everyone know about his shady work.

GreenMachine
10-31-2002, 05:00 PM
Holy, that is just wrong ! Get your tire iron and then go confront him !

shepherd79
10-31-2002, 07:09 PM
that sucks man, tell him to give you a new centerforce stage 3 clutch.

night
10-31-2002, 07:30 PM
i dont remember my centerforce being red ?

oh ya, it was orange though. pretty sure anyway.

flamed89
10-31-2002, 07:49 PM
screw the tire iron, get the 12 gauge. and make him buy the paint he already STOLE your clutch!

88WhiteLX-i
10-31-2002, 08:21 PM
what a fucking piece of shit. It's kinda like my mechanic I have been going to for a little while. The Fucker said that he wanted to charge me $250 bucks to put a new oil pan gasket on. I went to another guy and he said $90 bucks, I was like FUCK THAT SHIT.

BoredRec
11-01-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 88WhiteLX-i
what a fucking piece of shit. It's kinda like my mechanic I have been going to for a little while. The Fucker said that he wanted to charge me $250 bucks to put a new oil pan gasket on. I went to another guy and he said $90 bucks, I was like FUCK THAT SHIT.

$250, high
$90, low
We charge roughly $170 for a pan gasket at my shop. I'd watch out for the $90 guy, he might just be saying that to get you in the door, then call you up and tell ya it'll be an extra $150-200 to finish the job, and there's nothing you can do cuz he has your car apart. Shady mechanics suck, and ruin it for guys like me.

88turboaccord
11-01-2002, 01:02 AM
Yeah, a lot of mechanics can be sneeky like that.. That is why it is best to learn how to do things yourself.. At first, I used to take my car to a mechanic, but I wised up.

88WhiteLX-i
11-01-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by BoredRec

$250, high
$90, low
We charge roughly $170 for a pan gasket at my shop. I'd watch out for the $90 guy, he might just be saying that to get you in the door, then call you up and tell ya it'll be an extra $150-200 to finish the job, and there's nothing you can do cuz he has your car apart. Shady mechanics suck, and ruin it for guys like me.

Both of the mechanics that I went to the prices that I said were plus the parts for the job. Like the guy that said 90 bucks, I also have to pay for the gasket and a new oil pan if I wanted to do that. And even before the guy touches my car I am def. gonna get an estimate down on paper to make sure he doesn't rip me off. But most of these things that I go to a mechanic for are things that I just can't do myself, mostly due to time and I just have no where to work. It's not so much Iam afraid to do it or even don't know how to, it's more I just can't do it because my life's situation currently. WHich really sucks I might add, because I love working on cars.

Site
11-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by night
i dont remember my centerforce being red ?

oh ya, it was orange though. pretty sure anyway.

LOL - then mine was orange, too. I'm colorblind and confuse colors easily.

I went to talk to him today. No one has seen him at his shop for a month. I know where he lives, though. I'm going to talk with him. I'll let ya all know how it goes!

MoonScryer
11-03-2002, 06:00 AM
That is uber expensive for a pan gasket install. I can understand charging for it, given what you have to remove just to get to the pan, but that is still high.

88WhiteLX-i
11-03-2002, 05:09 PM
What exactly do you have to do to replace the oil pan gasket, I mean what do I have to get outta the way first??? I can definitely see that you have to get the engine mount, exhaust Y-pipe, but what else?? I also wanted to know if you remove or move the engine mount do you have to put jackstands under the engine or anything like that to make sure the engine will have enough holdin it up...Thanks for your help!!!!

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 07:08 PM
take off the center beam....the exhaust were it connects to the header.. and move it were you want to ....
take off the little bracket that is connecting the tranny to the engine ...and remove the holder for the mount thats on the center beam
then remove the pan bolts....and see if the breather hose at the back near the top of the engine is going to come off....just see if it loosens off the connections...

and then take the pan off.....

i think thats all i had to do ....
someone else can say if i did or not..

oh and you dont need stands or anything....the engin wont move..

BEn

88WhiteLX-i
11-03-2002, 08:52 PM
Wow it doesn't seem that hard at all. Has anyone else done this and can offer a little more advice??? I really want to do this myself, all I need is the time and a place. Oh and do you have to take the Y-pipe off at both ends?? I mean where it connects to the manifold and where I it connects, I believe, to the cat?? Thanks in advance!!:wave:

BoredRec
11-03-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by 88WhiteLX-i
Wow it doesn't seem that hard at all. Has anyone else done this and can offer a little more advice??? I really want to do this myself, all I need is the time and a place. Oh and do you have to take the Y-pipe off at both ends?? I mean where it connects to the manifold and where I it connects, I believe, to the cat?? Thanks in advance!!:wave:

No you don't, but it does help. I usually use a zip tie and tie the manifold end to the radius rod so it is out of the way.
Only thing I can think of that was forgotten on the how to is make sure you drain the oil! Pretty obvious, tho. My price I mentioned is parts and labor.

88WhiteLX-i
11-05-2002, 03:30 PM
How long did it take you guys to finish the whole job?? Are we talking all day or a few hours. Thanks for the help!!

BoredRec
11-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Takes me roughly an hour, maybe a bit more if the exhaust bolts are fighting me (and they like to do that). I'd recommend that you have three 10mm* nuts at hand in case the ones on the exhaust manifold get ruined.

*10mm is the bolt size, not the head size!

2old_honda
12-03-2002, 01:09 AM
what happened with this? any news?

AL GORE
12-03-2002, 01:21 AM
I did not invent shady mechanics.

Site
12-03-2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by 2old_honda
what happened with this? any news?
Yeah, I decided to wait at his shop one night 'till he showed up. I was waiting in my car with the lights off. He pulled in and didn't know I was there - he has so many 3rd Gens in his lot. He got out of his car and as was unlocking the door to his shop when I tapped him on the shoulder. Scared the shite out of him - LOL.

We made some small talk and then I told him there was something in my car I wanted to show him. I pulled out the clutch that he had claimed to replace and asked, "How old do you think this is?" He said it looked like a pretty new Autozone clutch. I said, "Really? Are they known for rusting in less than a year? What happened to that orange performance clutch I paid you to put in my car?" He said the Centerforce clutch was an LXi clutch and my car is an LX so he couldn't put it in.

"Bullcrap. I just replaced the clutch myself and I know for a fact that they use the same part," I said. He then said that after looking at the Centerforce, he just didn't think it would fit. So, he put a used clutch in my car because he didn't have time to run to the store for a new one. Said he didn't say anything to me because he was afraid I'd argue with him about it.

"I don't think you replaced my clutch at all. I think you adjusted the cable and passed it off to me as a clutch job. It started slipping a month after I picked up the car from you. I think you screw people all the time so you can get your bills paid."

He told me that he didn't cheat me and that the $300 I gave him was for the labor, which he did. He just didn't put the Centerforce clutch in. He put a good used clutch in, instead.

"I didn't pay you to put a used clutch in my car. I'm tired of arguing with you and hearing your lies. Do you have the Centerforce clutch?" He said he did. "I'm walking out of here with it. I'll be back later for some other parts, too." He said that was fine.

Then I told him, "I value your friendship. I enjoy hanging with you and your kid. But, this hurt me and you're not working on my car again." Then I invited him and his boy over for dinner with my family.

I took it easy on Brian for this reason - his life sucks. He wife left him to raise their son by himself over 10 years ago. His dad died unexpectedly 2 months ago. His sisters are forcing him to sell his dad's house (which he has been living in) so they can divide the money. He's being evicted from the space he rents for his shop because he can't pay the bills. His son (who is 13) wears the same clothes to school every couple of days because Brian can't afford to buy him new clothes. Brian refuses to apply for a mechanic's position (which he could get at ANY shop - he's good) because he was busted for dealing years ago and he's embarrassed for anyone to know about it. I kinda figure he has enough people in his life who are yelling at him. I set the boundaries with him, told him I expected him to make things right with me by giving me parts when I need them, but also let him know he's got a friend.

My only regret is that I didn't get to him before I completed the install of my new clutch. I put in a stock replacement and I would have like to put in the Centerforce!

RobT5580
12-03-2002, 11:19 AM
Damn, that is a tough situation and you dealt with it good. I know when shit goes bad it just piles up and gets worse but hopefully he gets out of the pit soon. I was in a situation like yours except the mechanic was not my freind although he seemed cool but he ripped me off bad and ended up with a blown tranny because of him. After arguing with him i walked away and got myself a manual and tough myself what i needed. He is such a hacker and has a real bad reputation but his lot is always full because the people dont have a clue about cars and think its just a lemon but its him.