PDA

View Full Version : weird clicking sound

socal3rdgen
10-31-2002, 11:27 AM
i have a weird clicking sound coming from my engine when the engine is cold. it doesnt happen when it is warm or at least i dont notice it. when it idles it sounds like a small deisel engine. its a constant click that doesnt vary. it goes right along with the rpm range. the higher the rpm the more it clicks. please help

dXsquared
10-31-2002, 12:27 PM
that is a valve hitting the top of pistons ... or some other bad valve problem... u probably burnt out or wore out the valves. was ur car running bad at one time... when i first got my car, the valves were "clicking" so i got a junkyard head for 10 bux. it splved every thing... so go to a yard and get a head or get yours rebuilt...

Travis

ACCORD EX
10-31-2002, 12:35 PM
does it go when you press in the clutch !?

MIKE

socal3rdgen
10-31-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
does it go when you press in the clutch !?

MIKE

umm i think we are on 2 totally different wave links today. :lol i dont understand what you mean.

are you saying does it go away when i disengage the clutch.

answer: im pretty sure it doesnt stop the noise. i will revised that answer in about 2 hours when i get a smoke break.

jteuton
10-31-2002, 01:27 PM
You are contradicting yourself. You said it is a constant click that doesn't vary but then you said it varies with rpm.....which is it? I wouldn't just say 'hey its a bad valve lets take the head off' cause number 1 thats a lot of time and cash and number 2 ....lots of things make clicking noises just to make an expensive assumption like that. I am leaning to fuel injectors right now. Here is how you can narrow it down. Cut a piece of vaccum hose and hold it to your ear like a stethoscope and place the other end on various objects like the block, the head, the fuel injectors, this method will increase the sound and you will be able to tell where at in the bay the engine is clicking. Unless you have recently overheated the head or lost sync with cam timing.....there is no reason to jump on the valves first thing.

socal3rdgen
10-31-2002, 01:42 PM
what i mean is it clicks along with the rpm range. example.

1000rpm - click click click

3000 rom - click click click click click click

6000 rpm - click, click click click click click click click click click click

well the 1000 rpm is obvoiusly a lot faster but im just trying to show detail.

imagine each line above is 1 second each.

thanks guys. sorry if i wasnt clear.

oh i just re read your post and this is another problem, cuz you said your leaning towards injectors. well when i turn a corner my car hesitates for a second then goes. almost like the injectors are clogged or (i dont know much about gas tanks) the gas is sloshing around and my pump runns out till gravity set the gas to the bottom. oh by the way i always about 5 dollars worth of gas in my tank. im always on the E. i do this on purpose.

jteuton
10-31-2002, 01:46 PM
your clear......use the vaccum hose.....it will point you in the right direction

socal3rdgen
10-31-2002, 10:20 PM
does anyone else know what could be causeing this. thanks for the replies so far. im going to check on those.

ACCORD EX
11-01-2002, 01:08 AM
my car use to do that when cold but when i pressesd the clutch pedal it went away , the problem was the clutch cable wasn't adjusted properly !

MIKE

socal3rdgen
11-01-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
my car use to do that when cold but when i pressesd the clutch pedal it went away , the problem was the clutch cable wasn't adjusted properly !

MIKE

i see. well, my car has did this for about a year. i always thought that it was something to have to do with my exhaust system. but it doesnt vibrate like that. i ve had my clutch repaire twice since i had the car. ive had this car for 1 1/2 years. my rear main seal was leaking into my clutch houseing on the first one. :-(

jteuton
11-01-2002, 10:49 AM
I don't even know why I bother

socal3rdgen
11-01-2002, 11:01 AM
your advice was well taken. im just wondering if this is a problem that someone else had that they know exactly what it is. if i cant find that then im going to do what you said. but it doesnt hurt to get other suggestions from other members does it. :wave:

Jdub07
11-01-2002, 11:23 AM
do you have headers? tighten the bolts on them...sometimes they leak when cold but go away after it warms up be cause they expand from the heat. Could also be valves,...get a valve job what is that like $50? what kind of gas you buy? better the mods I would suggest better octane. these are just my opinions good luck

socal3rdgen
11-01-2002, 11:39 AM
nope i dont have headers. what does a valve job entail. this wouldnt happen to be a knock would it.

Greg
11-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Dude, before you do serious shit like replace the valves or head or something, just get someone to ADJUST the valve lash or do it yourself.

This entails pulling the valve cover off the head, and checking the clearance between valve stem and the part of the rocker that engages it. I think there is how-to on it on this web site.

You probably just have a loose valve that's tap, tap, tapping. That would be my guess. My 87 accord lx has 235,000 miles on it, and my valves are totally quiet. If you change your oil regularly and don't drive like a maniac (and have coolant in the car) then the valves don't wear too much on these cars. You probably just need to adjust them.

-G

Jdub07
11-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Greg is right.....valve adjustment not "job" i said job but also meant adjustment. When I bought my car it had the same noise did a full tune up and then got the valves done. Sometimes you have to go back and get them adjusted again because if they haven't been done in a long time they can get out of wack again...kind of like tuning a piano. Or do what my wife does, turn up the radio:beer:

jteuton
11-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Ok you guys are confusing me. You say get a valve job......that is entirely diffenet that adjusting valve lash. A valve job requires removing the head. I'm getting a clear picture of this. You are not hearing a clicking sound but a tapping sound coming from under the valve cover? This would be a problem with valve adjustment. At first you said click and that is a sound associated with fuel injectors.....the valve stems don't make clicking sounds against the rockerarms but tapping sounds.

Jdub07
11-01-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by jteuton
Ok you guys are confusing me. You say get a valve job......that is entirely diffenet that adjusting valve lash. A valve job requires removing the head. I'm getting a clear picture of this. You are not hearing a clicking sound but a tapping sound coming from under the valve cover? This would be a problem with valve adjustment. At first you said click and that is a sound associated with fuel injectors.....the valve stems don't make clicking sounds against the rockerarms but tapping sounds.

what makes a ticking sound?:lol

socal3rdgen
11-01-2002, 03:36 PM
its not a tapping sound its sounds like a click. like the sound of the click on the wheel of fortune wheel. hows that for a example. :lol

socal3rdgen
11-01-2002, 06:30 PM
ok i have confirmed that i need a valve job. me and my friend looked at it. thanks for the help guys.

anchovies
11-01-2002, 10:25 PM
again ...valve job or a valve lash :D

socal3rdgen
11-02-2002, 12:11 AM
my bad a valve lash :lol

jteuton
11-02-2002, 08:26 AM
A valve job is much more expensive and time consuming than a simple adjustment. and Jdub07 ....everybody knows that a bomb makes a ticking sound....quick get out of the car

accord_lx_86
11-03-2002, 02:12 AM
my car was making a bad tapping noise..i adjusted the valve lash in about an hour and it was a whole lot quieter...and now i still have one noise that's always been there..i believe its from the 2 exhaust manifold bolts some idiot stripped out before i bought the car...gonna retap them and see if thats the main problem