PDA

View Full Version : Jim, Im Fucked.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 01:54 PM
Jim, look what happened, and I dont know what to do. Im so fucked, hour and a half from home and no where to work on my car!! Whats the easiest way to fix this shit?

http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/bushing.jpg

Nate.

socal3rdgen
10-31-2002, 01:55 PM
oh shit dude

Site
10-31-2002, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear about the breakdown.

What tools do you have with you? Jack? Hammer (or large rock)?

Oh - welcome back. They said you'd come back.
:D

pearldrop
10-31-2002, 02:10 PM
It looks like you bent or broke the bottom washer. The only way that the piston could come up that far is if the washer slid down the piston along with the bottom rubber bushing. It is an easy fix and can be done without even pulling the wheel off of the car as long as the bent washer isn't stuck on there. Just undo the bolt on the top of the piston and jack the car up. You will have to force the piston back into the strut but then you can slip off the rubber bushing and bent washer and slip the new one back on. The hard part will be finding another washer. Your stock struts will have one or your Tokicos if you still have that. Then you will only need a jack and a 14 or 17 mm wrench and an allen key possibly. Good luck Nate.

Mantis88LX
10-31-2002, 02:12 PM
that happened to me when i got my springs put on, turned out i forgot to put the big black washer back in,

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 02:18 PM
What big washer?!!!!!!

Am I missing something? OH fuck what to do.....im here at college, I have tools but have NO idea what to do. I cant even get a floor jack under my car it sits so low!

Nate.

markmdz89hatch
10-31-2002, 02:20 PM
yeah, that looks like a classic case of "WTF happened to the washer." Being that you've been driving the car since the new Koni's, I'm guessing that peardrop is right. It looks like the washer busted on you. If you can't get anywhere with it, or if you just do a temporary fix. Here's a link to that washer.

You want #10.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=2DR+DX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SHOCK+ABSORBER

Good luck man! Just remember, it's just a speed-bump in the road, don't lose hope with ur 3G just yet.

markmdz89hatch
10-31-2002, 02:21 PM
to get under the car...

use ur little scissor jack to jack it up enough to get the floor jack under it. That's what me, and a lot of others have to do too.

...did it fuck up ur hood when it popped through?

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 02:24 PM
No, the hood is fine, but the problem is I am at school and have more or less no where to work on the car. No light and its dark as shit outside. Im debating driving home an hour and a half.

Nate.

markmdz89hatch
10-31-2002, 02:28 PM
best bet... If you can chill at school tonight, do it. Then just take care of it tomorrow morning when you've got sunlight, and a clear mind on ur side.

I would not suggest driving home like that. You risk f*king up ur shock, ur hood, and really ur whole car. At least I think you do. I've seen that happen in the past, but the damn thing popped right up through the hood, or destroyed the hood if it didn't go through it.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 02:31 PM
Im thinking seriously of driving home this weekend, and returning the car to the stock height on stock springs. Im so sick and tired of this shit.

Nate.

87AccordsterLx
10-31-2002, 02:31 PM
damn... I wouldnt risk it nate.... try to improvise and get it as close to fixed as possible...

87AccordsterLx
10-31-2002, 02:33 PM
dont give up yet..... if everything else is fine then why go back to stock height just so you can realize that you want it lowered...

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 02:35 PM
Either way, the car has to be back at my house. I cannot fix it here, period.

These are the moments when I want to sell my car.

Nate.

87AccordsterLx
10-31-2002, 02:36 PM
sometimes I'll be stuck in that situation and just when I think that Im totally screwed and that I cant fix it or get any closer to fixing it.. I'll give it one more try and get it a step closer to being fixed... go back out there and see what you can get done...

pearldrop
10-31-2002, 02:40 PM
Actually, I think you may need washer 13 in that diagram. There are usually two, a big thick one and the black one. It is hard to tell from the diagram though.

This is really easy to do Nate. I could do it in five minutes if I were there. I used to take my bumpstops out and put them back in all the time without taking the strut out or even taking the wheels off.

markmdz89hatch
10-31-2002, 02:45 PM
good point pearl. I think ur right now that I look at it again, but I'm not 100% sure either way. How do you change the bumpstop, or add that washer without taking apart the whole assy.?

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 02:47 PM
Pearl, give me a step by step here on what to do, I need this hardcore. What diagram are you referring to?

Nate.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 02:49 PM
How do I get that bushing back underneath there without taking out the whole assembly? It should be UNDER there not above there. Theres no way im going to be able to push that bushing back down into the hole.

Nate.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 02:53 PM
FUCK, I KNOW for a fact I forgot that washer!! Oh man im so fucking stupid. I CANNOT believe that happened. God damnit!!!!!!!!

Im so pissed off right now I could kill something.

Nate.

pearldrop
10-31-2002, 02:58 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SG70_J12.gif

1. Take off the nut at the top of the piston. (#18)
2. Take off the washer and rubber bushing under the nut. (#6 and 7)
3. Jack up the car.
4. Reach in and push the piston down into the strut. (This is a fight but don't give up)
5. Then you can pull off the bottom rubber bushing and the little metal piece that lines it. (#7 and 15)
6. Pull the washer out that is underneath the bushings (This is probably the bent or broken one.) (#13)
7. Replace in same order.

This is really easy. The hardest part will be fighting with the strut because once you push it in, it will try to keep extending. If you have a friend there have them stand up above and push the piston down with a phillips screwdriver. Then you just have them move the screwdriver really quick and slip the parts in and out before it extends again.

This can end up being a lot harder if you still have your dust shield on the struts. But if the dust shield was on there then that would be another washer and I don't think that could break through too.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 03:09 PM
Pearl, but will the bushing come out? I still dont think I am going to be able to push the bushing BACK through that hole. I didnt put a washer in there, and what size washer do I need 10mm? I am going to go buy some...this is how I did it last time. And where do the washers go? Im so pissed off right now its not even clicking where they even went?

Nate.

pearldrop
10-31-2002, 03:16 PM
See that little perch on the piston? That is where the washer will sit. There might not be a perch on your piston but there will be a part where it flares out. Take the washer off the very top where the nut is and take it to a parts store to match it. Try and get one that is Grade 8 if possible.
That bushing won't be a problem. Once you pull out the piston it will just sit back down in the hole on top of the upper strut mount.
This really isn't a big deal so don't worry about it.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 03:19 PM
Im going to put 2 or 3 washers in there because of my drop. I think I am going for 3 on each side. Will that hurt anything?

Nate.

pearldrop
10-31-2002, 03:27 PM
It won't hurt anything if you do that. I would still recommend trying to get the correct one. If nothing else just put two washers in there for now and fix it when you get back home and can put the right one in.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 03:27 PM
PEARL YOU ARE THE SHIT. I Just now put 2 and 2 together about how to fix it, but pushing that strut tube down is going to be a bitch!!

Man, this might be easier then I thought. All it is, is like reassemblming it while its under the car instead of out of the car.

Nate.

87AccordsterLx
10-31-2002, 03:38 PM
there ya go nate... I knew that it was possible... keep at it man....

pearldrop
10-31-2002, 03:38 PM
Thank You..Thank You Very Much

Yeah, that pushing the strut down is the hard part. I was thinking that you should just use that top washer underneath the nut for the bottom washer and use some other washers for the top. That way you don't need to change them out later.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-31-2002, 05:09 PM
Err, thanks elvis, I mean chris:D thanks for helping him out.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 05:16 PM
Alright elvis. I just now went to Lowes and bought some 10mm washers that were the same size as the washer underneath the top nut (approx 1 1/2"). I bought 2 packages of 4. So I am going to put 3 in each side tommorrow and see if this works out.

So I am taking the top nut off, pushing that strut tube down and more or less reassembling the strut peices with it on the car, correct? So the washers lay down first, right? And then the other shit lays on top of that. I know the lip that you are talking about, so I thinkg I am ok with that. Now the only problem is getting around that spring. This should be a fun challenge.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how it goes tommorrow.

Nate.

Mantis88LX
10-31-2002, 06:02 PM
it wont hurt to drive like that, but it will be bouce as hell and youl have to stay below 35mph, all 4 corners on my car did that and i had to drive all teh way back into town to get my friend to fix it. it wont damage nothing. you lucky is only 1 side on yours,

89AccordNate
11-01-2002, 10:50 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWW yeah. My car is fixed. Thanks times 10 goes to pearldrop and everyone else for the good pointers. Took me about an hour. I didnt remove the strut either. Pearls technique worked perfectly!

Nate.

Mantis88LX
11-01-2002, 02:18 PM
good to hear man

anchovies
11-01-2002, 10:33 PM
hmm..my coupe does not have those washers #10 and #13 (I didn't check) but i called honda and they say it does not apply to my car?
So, do you guys have it, and does your coupe have it? Suspension should be the same for all models I thought.

toastyghost
11-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
Either way, the car has to be back at my house. I cannot fix it here, period.

These are the moments when I want to sell my car.

Nate.

you don't know those moments like me, try cracking a block or two then you'll get the idea... :mad:

anchovies
11-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
hmm..my coupe does not have those washers #10 and #13 (I didn't check) but i called honda and they say it does not apply to my car?
So, do you guys have it, and does your coupe have it? Suspension should be the same for all models I thought.

anyone??

Jims 86LXI HB
11-05-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by anchovies

anyone??

Something's amiss if you car doesn't have them, are you really sure that you don't have them? Their's no question they are part of the desighn of the suspension, my car has them and the car I took apart at the junk yard a couple months ago did to.

markmdz89hatch
11-05-2002, 06:45 PM
yep, both my 88DX 2dr, and 89DX hatch have 'em.

anchovies
11-05-2002, 10:39 PM
I did not disassemble my components, but I did disassemble an Lxi in the yard, they don't have it for the front. I've also called honda and they say it doesn't apply to my car. If you check manchester honda or sanleardo, those washers cannot be purchased (at least for 88 Lxi coupe).
Intriguinggg

anchovies
11-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Here's the diagram to assist you guys.
The washers in question are #10 and #13
http://www.slhondaparts.com/images/PCI/13SG70/008/8.jpg

anchovies
11-07-2002, 11:41 PM
I think I got it. I've look through some of the parts just now, and if you have the dust boot, then I don't think the strut shaft will come off like Nate's.
But if you don't use the dust boot, then you'll need the washer to prevent the shaft from going all the way up.
Am I right? Am I talking to myself? Am I? :D

markmdz89hatch
11-08-2002, 05:29 AM
if you manage to work the dust boot off the old strut, and wack it on the ground a few times, you might get a suprise. If i'm not mistaken that's where i found mine.

anchovies
11-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I had that same idea too but either it did not budge, or there isn't any :D
I've look at the top part of the dust boot, and it seems theres an extra lip at the top. But if you look at the picture of the dust boot on top, it just looks like that with the extra lip up top.

Not like a rock
09-18-2004, 09:37 AM
guys. the same thing just happened to me, but on the back. has anyone worked with this on the back before? right now I'm looking at just getting a new mount with the bushing and then I'd have to take everything apart and put it together again.

88accordalltheway
09-18-2004, 10:57 AM
id imagine you have to do the same thing as him. Did you forget the washer too>?

SteveDX89
09-19-2004, 07:36 AM
guys. the same thing just happened to me, but on the back. has anyone worked with this on the back before? right now I'm looking at just getting a new mount with the bushing and then I'd have to take everything apart and put it together again.

If you can take the strut out and do it, I'm sure it's much easier. They go together the same way.

bobafett
09-20-2004, 08:09 AM
lol this post is back from the good old days with our brother nate!

same thing happened to me after driving that way for a good 8 months! WITH NO WASHER???? i dont know why i would have forgot the washer, i probably didnt if it took that long to break ,but it was scary and i was only a few blocks from home, so i limped home and fixed it in my apt parking lot lol...

Not like a rock
09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't have time to work on it myself, and I was trying to save some money so I took it to this really cheap shop near my house, thinking that it wasn't a complex enough job to fuck up.

So, after it all blew apart, I took it down to the honda dealership because they can get the parts faster than anyone else. They just called me back and said that there were 3 parts missing. I didn't even ask which ones.

Not like a rock
09-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Here's a pic of my mess:

Oyvind Ryeng
09-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Are you kidding? Getting the piston of the strut up trough the shocktower is NOTHING compared to breaking the damned lower balljoints. In the last few years they have broken over SIX times on my 3G. When the balljoint breaks the car heads in pretty much the direction it wants to; just pure LUCK has saved my life.

possum
10-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Are you kidding? Getting the piston of the strut up trough the shocktower is NOTHING compared to breaking the damned lower balljoints. In the last few years they have broken over SIX times on my 3G. When the balljoint breaks the car heads in pretty much the direction it wants to; just pure LUCK has saved my life.

Hmmm,

In Norway, are there periodical vehicle inspections?

Checking for loose lower ball joints might reduce those near death experiences.

Oyvind Ryeng
10-13-2004, 01:48 AM
In Norway, are there periodical vehicle inspections?

Checking for loose lower ball joints might reduce those near death experiences.
Yeah, there are inspections every other year. But I'm using the car less and less, since I'm to lazy to check the balljoints more often. Guess that's a little stupid perhaps?

thegreatdane
10-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Oyvind, there's either something wrong with the quality of the new balljoints you put in or the suspension. If I were you I would replace the entire suspension at the wheel where the problem occours with a suspension from a junkyard car. It's not normal at all to replace the balljoints that often.

Oyvind Ryeng
10-13-2004, 05:47 AM
I've been thinking that myself lately. But I use OEM Honda balljoints costing NOK1300,- (USD$185) a piece, but they still disintegrate within a year or so. And I don't drive more than MAX 8000 kilometres a year, and never ever in hard bumps or anything.

I have even considered raising the 3G to it's original height, but I'd rather burn it to the ground than have it showing the enormous fender gap to everyone (I still can't BELIEVE how insanely high our 3G's are stock - I've seen SUVs and trucks with LESS fender gap). Also, I take pride in having a lower car than anyone else; it's just something I have to do...

Not like a rock
10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
we have fender gap, but arent' actually very high. About as high as a supra from the same time.

possum
10-13-2004, 02:27 PM
I've been thinking that myself lately. But I use OEM Honda balljoints costing NOK1300,- (USD$185) a piece, but they still disintegrate within a year or so. And I don't drive more than MAX 8000 kilometres a year, and never ever in hard bumps or anything.

I have even considered raising the 3G to it's original height, but I'd rather burn it to the ground than have it showing the enormous fender gap to everyone (I still can't BELIEVE how insanely high our 3G's are stock - I've seen SUVs and trucks with LESS fender gap). Also, I take pride in having a lower car than anyone else; it's just something I have to do...

I suspect your lowering the car accounts for you frequent balljoint failures.

Oyvind Ryeng
10-14-2004, 06:03 AM
I suspect your lowering the car accounts for you frequent balljoint failures.
That is what I also have concluded. I've never heard about Tall-as-WTC-bone-stock 3Gs breaking their balljoints. I suspect the lowering can put the balljoint in an akward angle wich leads to premature failiure.

thegreatdane
10-14-2004, 09:41 AM
How much lowered is it? I'm guessing ~40mm since that's the typical lowering in Europe, and I honestly dont think that the lowering is the main cause of this. Rather a bent lower control arm. Or something else that's fucked up.

Oyvind Ryeng
10-15-2004, 09:50 AM
It's closer to 60mm, and I guess a bent control arm would wear out the balljoints sooner.

truetune
10-17-2004, 02:12 PM
OMG thats low Oyvind, and you drive this on the streets. I wanna see pictures of your car man its gota look great that low along with its a euro model.

thegreatdane
10-17-2004, 02:24 PM
It's 2,36 inches. What brand is your springs by the way?

truetune
10-17-2004, 02:24 PM
ok I just now saw your link

BITESIZE
10-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Chill out Nate, we all make mistakes. Don't drive home or else you'll have more problems.

Oyvind Ryeng
10-20-2004, 03:55 AM
I have way old B+G springs (about 10 years old), and 175/70-13 wheels. There is little ground clearance, and I would not have it any other way.

Practicality < Looks