PDA

View Full Version : Parasitic draw on battery

88Accord-DX
04-21-2013, 10:01 PM
I just want to let anyone know looking for a draw on their battery. I hooked up my DVM & pulled every fuse (without screws) & couldn't find any drop in amperage. I could hear a click noise jumping my leads around. It was the seat belt retractor in the driver door that killed one battery. I put this diagnoses off for too long. Hope this is helpful in a future search. D

zenapup
04-22-2013, 08:21 AM
I just want to let anyone know looking for a draw on their battery. I hooked up my DVM & pulled every fuse (without screws) & couldn't find any drop in amperage. I could hear a click noise jumping my leads around. It was the seat belt retracter in the driver door that killed one battery. I put this diagnoses off for too long. Hope this is helpful in a future search. D
Yep, this is exactly what was causing mine when I fixed it two years ago, definitely not what I expected to be killing the battery overnight

Legend_master
04-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I second that, I had the exact same problem as well. My drivers side was draining my battery over night. I just pulled the door panel off and removed the plug to the retractor.

2oodoor
04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Isn't that part still warrentied by Honda?

88Accord-DX
04-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Isn't that part still warrentied by Honda?
I doubt it, but would be nice to know. Might call the local dealer soon & find out. As old as these cars are the part is probably out of stock or discontinued. I done the same thing as Legend & pulled the door panel back & unplugged both connectors on the retractor. It pulls .355 amps when it shorts out internally. I would have to either disconnect my battery at night or charge the battery every other day... So glad them days are over with now.

Dr_Snooz
04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Thank you for this thread. I suspect I have the same problem. I gather that it's specific to 88-89 coupes where the seatbelts are in the doors? I'm a little concerned about disabling part of the seat belt, but looking at the manual, it appears that the electrical is there simply to keep the belts from locking while you have the door open. So long as they lock in a crash, it's all good.

Legend_master
04-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Thank you for this thread. I suspect I have the same problem. I gather that it's specific to 88-89 coupes where the seatbelts are in the doors? I'm a little concerned about disabling part of the seat belt, but looking at the manual, it appears that the electrical is there simply to keep the belts from locking while you have the door open. So long as they lock in a crash, it's all good.

Idk, I've yanked the seatbelt as a test, and it does no lock. Defiantly related to the "caution do not unlock seatbelts" lol.

2oodoor
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
What contols the activation? Is there a sensor and where is it...

G. White
04-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Oh! This thread really hits home with me. For the last 2 years I've been battling this problem. My wife accidently slammed the passenger side seat belt buckle in the door when closing it. The next day I got a "door open" light on the instrument cluster along with the seat belt chime/buzzer once I got over 15mph. I adjusted the door striker and everything was good. On really hot days the door latch would expand just enough to make the light and buzzer come back. Anyways, a couple seasons, dead batteries, parasitic draw tests later- I've found that the door latch itself is bad. The door closes, latches and there is some kind of electrical cam that comes over center and sends the signal to turn off the light in the instrument cluster. My cam is all jacked up so therefore my door latch is bad. The only place I think I can find one is the junkyard.

Legend_master
04-23-2013, 05:40 PM
This is what I disconnected.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/69FB701A-9CB8-45A8-98A5-87FCAF513BA5-5577-000002EFCA2B74FF_zpse675bd98.jpg

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2013, 08:22 PM
What contols the activation? Is there a sensor and where is it...

I don't know about 3g's specifically, but generally, seat belt lock is controlled by a weighted pendulum. When the pendulum is vertical, it doesn't (isn't supposed to) lock. If the pendulum swings away from vertical, like under hard braking, a skid or a crash, it locks. It's a very elegant design really. I can't imagine any sane engineer designing seat belts that require electric power to lock. That's just asking for a class action. I would guess that disconnecting the electrical is just fine.

Edit: the pendulum is usually encased in the retractor mechanism somewhere. I've never taken seat belts apart enough to find one though.

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Oh! This thread really hits home with me. For the last 2 years I've been battling this problem. My wife accidently slammed the passenger side seat belt buckle in the door when closing it. The next day I got a "door open" light on the instrument cluster along with the seat belt chime/buzzer once I got over 15mph. I adjusted the door striker and everything was good. On really hot days the door latch would expand just enough to make the light and buzzer come back. Anyways, a couple seasons, dead batteries, parasitic draw tests later- I've found that the door latch itself is bad. The door closes, latches and there is some kind of electrical cam that comes over center and sends the signal to turn off the light in the instrument cluster. My cam is all jacked up so therefore my door latch is bad. The only place I think I can find one is the junkyard.

You reminded me of this thread: http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/75391-how-upgraded-door-jamb-switch.html

The door switches are known to have some issues. I wonder if a parasitic draw from the seat belts is a symptom of that. Maybe I'll try rebuilding my door switches to see if it helps with the draw problem.

MessyHonda
04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
same thing happen to my 88 lx-i coupe. it would kill my optima redtop

88Accord-DX
05-11-2013, 04:53 PM
My door pins are shot! The latch has been hitting the door jam & probably caused the draw. That mechanism in the door is toast.
Now the seat belt light stays on cause the two connectors are disconnected at the seat belt retractor in the door. Anyone know which wires to jump to fool the dash light?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/IMAG0356-2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ddude2uc/media/IMAG0356-2.jpg.html)

Legend_master
05-11-2013, 05:52 PM
My door pins are shot! The latch has been hitting the door jam & probably caused the draw. That mechanism in the door is toast.
Now the seat belt light stays on cause the two connectors are disconnected at the seat belt retractor in the door. Anyone know which wires to jump to fool the dash light?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/IMAG0356-2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ddude2uc/media/IMAG0356-2.jpg.html)

I have to constantly adjust my latch to catch the door right. Probably once a month or so, I've put shims in the door to raise. Did not last long, with all the seatbelt crap these doors way a lot.

Dr_Snooz
06-29-2013, 08:50 PM
I unplugged my seat belt retractors and my parasitic drain is solved. Thank you! It had become a big nuisance in the last few weeks, so I'm in your debt.

I had a CJM with all the seat belt warning lights and buzzers in my car years ago. I think it involved unplugging the connectors under the seat and disabling the lights by the rear view mirror in my coupe.

That's not exactly helpful, I know.

tipo2009
03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't know about 3g's specifically, but generally, seat belt lock is controlled by a weighted pendulum. When the pendulum is vertical, it doesn't (isn't supposed to) lock. If the pendulum swings away from vertical, like under hard braking, a skid or a crash, it locks. It's a very elegant design really. I can't imagine any sane engineer designing seat belts that require electric power to lock. That's just asking for a class action. I would guess that disconnecting the electrical is just fine.

Edit: the pendulum is usually encased in the retractor mechanism somewhere. I've never taken seat belts apart enough to find one though.
Help me.How to make a working seat belts without electricity???

Dr_Snooz
03-13-2014, 06:47 PM
The safety feature of the seat belts is mechanical only. In our cars, there are a variety of electric sensors attached to the seat belt. They require electricity to function, but the basic operation of the belt is mechanical and needs no electricity.

tipo2009
03-13-2014, 11:01 PM
The safety feature of the seat belts is mechanical only. In our cars, there are a variety of electric sensors attached to the seat belt. They require electricity to function, but the basic operation of the belt is mechanical and needs no electricity.
I presently belts disconnected from electricity, and they do not work.
If you suddenly pull the belt it is not blocked.
What do I do?

Keachman1
03-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Try pulling on the seat belt when braking hard and see if it locks. Like Dr snooz said, they have an internal pendulum that locks when braking or crashing. Braking is easier to test.

tipo2009
03-15-2014, 07:13 AM
Try pulling on the seat belt when braking hard and see if it locks. Like Dr snooz said, they have an internal pendulum that locks when braking or crashing. Braking is easier to test.

I abruptly pull the strap and it is not blocked.
And what kind of pendulum How does he look?

Dr_Snooz
03-15-2014, 08:44 PM
The belts are designed to lock only during hard braking, cornering or a crash. You'll have to test them under those circumstances. Preferably the first two. ;)

tipo2009
03-16-2014, 03:09 AM
The belts are designed to lock only during hard braking, cornering or a crash. You'll have to test them under those circumstances. Preferably the first two. ;)

Thanks!

lostforawhile
03-16-2014, 06:00 AM
all seatbelts are required to be able to lock without electricity, the ones that come attached to the doors also have additional tensioners, these are what causes issues with parasitic draw

Dr_Snooz
03-16-2014, 03:40 PM
The electricity is there to make sure that the belts don't lock when you have the doors open. In reality, they don't really do anything at all.

Luis 89
02-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Im having a problem with mine draining but it started happening after i got my quick release. any idea of what it can be ?

Dr_Snooz
02-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Do you have a coupe or hatch?