PDA

View Full Version : Is a TPS necessary?

JdmCA9
04-22-2013, 10:24 AM
So guys my old tps was destoyed during the process of transporting the engine to different shops to be built so now i dont have one its installed but the circuits and connect is smashed. Would a tps benefit my A20a3 and can it be from another honda engine and still please our ecu the same?

2oodoor
04-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Absolutley
A tps is an important part of the FI system, it tells the brain ehere the throttle opening position is! :)
If it fits physically it may work if from another car, some have used Ford tps on modified throttle bodies.
It is a volume knob sort of, it has a 5 volt reference signal giong to it and at idle the switch output should be 0.00 to 0.05 or so. As the throttle is mashed the output gradually works up to like 4.80 to 5 volts at wide open throttle ( half way being like 3 volts or so) it can be tested with a dvm by backprobing the wires or sticking them if you have sharp leads lol

Legend_master
04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Agreed, I don't think the car will run without it.

JdmCA9
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Thats great news so i can just swap the throttle body of the h22a onto the a20a3 or buy a civic tps of ebay. Akina runs ok just that feelin u get that shes not at peak performance when a d series civic almost kept up. That never happened before so i know theres problems because i slaughtered d series civics and even my landlords 98 Mustang 3.8L fell behind Akina 4 times cuz he kept blaming it on my luck but Akina pulled on his stang 4 times in a row. And this was before the rebuild so i blame sensors and fuel to stay so close in front of a civic.

dieselgus
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Absolutely necessary for the ECU to know how far the throttle is pressed and how much fuel to inject.

Make sure to put a new cover on it.

Office Space TPS Reports - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA)

JdmCA9
05-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I need a cover too? Whats a cover? I was on ebay and seen tps as low as $7.45 free shipping and up to $30 but according to the sellers catalog they were not compatible with our accord though i could tell they would plug in just fine and some was compatible with 88 crx. Witch 1 is compatible?

Dr_Snooz
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
You have to watch the video clip to understand the humor.

AccordB20A
05-01-2013, 11:57 PM
lies! we ran a civic without a tps. it will jsut be really crap on fuel and slow! lol

JdmCA9
05-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Yea u nailed it thats exactly how AKINAs runnin almost civic slow n like 12 mpg lol.