PDA

View Full Version : Battery In front of bumper. CUT off switch needed?

Rendon LX-i
04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Im wanting to put a battery up front for cranking and just cant race my car at the track.

Problem is do i need a cut off switch ive been searching and some say yes and some say no. If so ill just ditch that idea . I wanted to put a group 51 in the front bumper (behind it). its just crazy if you have to run wire all the way to the back if you did that.

lostforawhile
04-23-2013, 07:02 PM
thats a bad place to put it, if someone even bumps you, you will have a mess, why not do what I did and put an odyssey in the car? they don't out gas and dont spill, they are not supposed to leak even if you cut them in half, stick it in a metal box, I think you are required to have the cut off switch at the back anyway, at least it used to have to be at the back

Rendon LX-i
04-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Yea I'm going to return the battery I bought today an get the odyssey .

lostforawhile
04-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Yea I'm going to return the battery I bought today an get the odyssey .

I think you will be happy, mine will sit for like a year and still be fully charged, just be careful of external chargers, you need one that controls the voltage well, especially on float charge. It will be fine with the alternator, but go much above 15 volts and it will ruin the battery, they have no charge current limit though, as long as the voltage is stable, they can charge with a huge amount of amps

Rendon LX-i
04-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Nice will 140 including a polished mount. Is not to shabby I have a trickle charger that won't do it?

lostforawhile
04-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Nice will 140 including a polished mount. Is not to shabby I have a trickle charger that won't do it?

a trickle charger will keep it from running down from a parasitic load, thats actually the thing that kills these batteries, leaving them for a long period of time with a small parasitic drain, that will kill pretty much any battery, but if you accidentally run one completely down you need at least ten amps of charging current to bring one back 100 percent, you can partially bring one back with less, I'm going to look into the new optima digital charger, they are supposed to work on AGM batteries, there is another small compact charger that we have at work, I need to write down the name of it, I know it works, because I put a meter on the battery at float charge, and it never went above 15 volts