PDA

View Full Version : Someone help the newbie

Spikedjuce
10-31-2002, 08:57 PM
Hey guys
Heres what my 89 Lx has been doing lately...please help.

Hesitation when started on colder days, rough idle. sometimes it will go to a normal idle for a while but sometimes after driving for a bit, maybe a couple miles, it will shoot up to about 5000 at idle or when i put the clutch in to shift. what the hell is wrong with this
i had a flipped lid but turned it back over because i figured the cold air was messin up my car but it obviously didnt work.
changed spark plugs about 3 months ago but didnt change anything else.
I got stuck in traffic the other day with the idle up at 4-5000 and felt like an ass.
PLease help
thanks
Jason :pimp:

Honda 89lx
187,000 miles

DanG86LX
10-31-2002, 09:28 PM
Does it do it when u rev ur engine by pulling the throttle with ur hand? Cuz u might have a sticky cable.. Do u have A/C ?

A20A1
11-01-2002, 12:29 AM
I doubt it's the A/C idle boost...
If it's no the accel cable like dan mentioned then check the vacuum lines to the idle diaphragm...

You have to remove the black air box to reach the diaphragm and it's vacuum lines.

but before I go posting pics... I just had another thought....

You have air-bleed valves inside the air box... if you accidentaly bend one of the metal tabs you would end up with a vacuum leak. and that would cause your idle diaphragm to open the throttle.

I'ts late so the pics will have to wait

ACCORD EX
11-01-2002, 01:10 AM
i would check for vacuum leaks , pcv valve , sticky cable !

MIKE

Greg
11-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Regardless of whatever else you check, I'd do the easy stuff first. I did some crazy shit to my carb that probably wasn't necessary because I didn't really go through and do the easy stuff thoroughly.

As Dan mentioned, I could see the sticky accelerator or vacuum leak being the problem.

At one point I had a vacuum leak at the lines that went to the choke opener, and I think it was opening my throttle cuz of messed up vacuum. It was going up to like 4000 then.

Your high fast idle really shouldn't go above 3000 so that's why I'm guessing it's something other than just sticky high fast idle.

Anyway, to check the easy stuff, take the air cleaner and it's box off (you'll have to take the mesh dome off the top of the carb), and check ALL vacuum connections. Be thorough!

You should get carb cleaner and clean your choke plate while you're at it, but ESPECIALLY rinse down the linkage that your throttle cable connects to, and work the thing back and forth as you're doing this. Make sure it retracts.

After you do this, put it all back together and see if it gets better before you start going after other stuff. That's my advice.