PDA

View Full Version : Power door locks (Control unit)

anchovies
10-31-2002, 09:18 PM
What does the control unit under the passenger sit do?
I'm looking at buying two of these actuators
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=DLA-1&type=store

and get a switch to trigger lock/unlock.
Do I actually need the control unit, or I could just wire both actuators to one switch and mount it on the drivers side?
Do I need relays anywhere?
I'll get keyless with alarm later.
Help out an electronic bumhead will yaa :D

Thanks,

Vanilla Sky
11-01-2002, 02:14 AM
that would work, but it would be a hell of a lot easier to just find a scrapyard and get the parts dude... i told ya when ya get the suspension good again to meet me over here and we'll hit the yards for parts

Derick

smufguy
11-01-2002, 12:16 PM
hey Derick, howz ur car comin up man?

anchovies
11-01-2002, 01:04 PM
yeah...I'm gonna put the power locks 1st because that's the cheapest. Then the alarm, so hopefully I'll have some "protection" if I ever leave my parts in the car again.

So what does the control unit do?
And is it possible make it lock/unlock both sides when I lock/unlock with key?

Vanilla Sky
11-01-2002, 01:08 PM
my car hasn't changed in ages... i took some pics today... chovies, from what i gather, it's the relay(s) for the system...
i told you to get the suspension together and head over this way and we'll hit the yards and grap all the parts

Derick

anchovies
11-05-2002, 02:05 PM
So, it is possible to wire all doors to unlock when I unlock the doors with the key. I know I'm missing something to do that, but what?
thanks.

RobT5580
11-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Im not sure with the key that would another switch but i dont know why you would bother. I am in the process of doing power locks on my coupe and have the actuators. All you will need is them and two relays (unlock/lock) you can get them at radio shack. then wire them to your alarm and that should be it.

anchovies
11-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Just wondering is all. No alarm/keyless for me yet, so I'm trying to keep my options open when installing it.
And those relays you're talking about is the lock/unlock switch right? Where are you going to mount yours? I've a sunroof switch from the junkyard, do you think I can wire that up as the door locks switch?

RobT5580
11-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Basically i have a 3 possition switch that stays in the middle and springs back. The relays i will try to mound under the dash maybe behind glove box but very tight on space under my dash. The relays are standard relays not the switch itself they are usually black square with 4 terminals on it. The sunroof switch may work because im assuming its a 3 position switch like i have....

anchovies
11-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Yeah the sunroof is 3 position, I might try that.
I think you needed the relay because you're connecting to your alarm's keyless. Is that it?
Or even with my setup, I still need a relay?

Thanks.

RobT5580
11-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Well basically the relay gives the actuator power and breaks the circuit when the switch is released. I beleive you can do it without the relay and it would be fine but dont hold the switch down because it will be direct power and could burn out the actuator. I dont see the point of doing power locks unless its Keyless entry or alarm because all it will do is unlock the pass door.....I do need the relay for the alarm because otherwise it would have a longer pulse of direct power which it shouldnt get.

anchovies
11-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Power door locks without keyless or alarm is waaaaay cooler :D

smufguy
11-07-2002, 06:38 PM
having a dead battery in ur remote or leaving ur keys in the car and it automatically locking itself with windows all up is even more cooler huh? :D :D :D

u better not shave the trunk key hole. hahhahaha, then u gotta break in to get in ur car. unless u can squeeze thru one of those drain holes in the bottom of ur floor pan :D