PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Bearing/Bushing on 1984 Accord?

ball777
04-27-2013, 01:42 PM
I've spent time searching the forums for a definitive answer and haven't found one. I'm replacing a glazed clutch that I put in just last summer and figured I'd do some digging to see what could have caused it. The only thing I can think of is that the space inside the flywheel looks a tad bit large for the tranny spindle and that free play caused premature failure.

The exedy kit I bought came with a useless pilot bearing that didn't come close to fitting in the flywheel, and the bronze pilot bushing that I got from an autoparts store is one large solid piece that is almost as wide in the outside diameter as the pilot bearing! The part number I verified with the store says it should fit in my 84 hatchback. I'm out of ideas.

I saw one thread where an individual started fabricating oilite/bronze pilot bushings for 2geez when they came to the same conclusions I did. I wonder if I could get a machine shop to use those dimensions and turn down the bronze bushing I did get. What's worse is that the FSM and the clymers says nothing about this years pilot bushing/bearing, leading me to believe that this year really didn't come with one. Can someone give me an answer?

2oodoor
04-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Glazing would occur with not enough free play, thus it is sightly disenguaged all the time as if your foot were riding on the pedal.
Pilot bushing issues usually result in damaged input shafts, input bearing, chattery clutch jumpy bucky operation.

2ndGenGuy
04-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I had the same exact confusion that you did sir. There is in fact, no pilot bearing for these cars! :) I had a kit that came with one too, and so that threw me off for a few hours while I tried to figure it out.

2geeSEi
04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Throw it away! There is no pilot bearing/bushing on these cars. If your clutch was glazed, I hope you are replacing or at least resurfacing your flywheel, or you will end up with the same problem.