PDA

View Full Version : Scraping Sound from the Rear Driver Side Tire/Wheel Well

firefighterwhite89
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
I've noticed this new scraping sound coming from my rear driver side tire, similar to when a caliper hangs bad or when a axle hub bearing is going out. Any ideas?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

firefighterwhite89
04-30-2013, 10:48 AM
It doesn't seem to scrape all the time, just randomly. Usually when i'm turning into a parking lot or something. Sounds exactly like when my front axle hub bearing went bad though. That's the only way i know how to describe this metal on metal sound. There seems to be no different angle my tire is when it does the sound or anything, and the tire doesn't appear to be loose or have any play at all, but it has also developed some vibration at certain speeds and deceleration. Any ideas or suggestions as where to start? I'm guessing it is the rear bearing...but i was wondering if any of you ever had this same issue before.
On a side note, i haven't used my emergency brake in almost 3 years. Haven't even touched it. BUT, The emergency Brake Light on my dash has lit up and has stayed on consistently for almost 2 weeks now, just about ever since it started shaking. I know it's not the front brakes or axle hubs, as it's all new.

Within the past month, i've replaced my Alternator and my Clutch Cable. Neither one i'd think would in any form or fashion have anything to do with the brake dummy light. Any suggestions?:toilet:

charliekuney
04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
"Brake" light on with parking brake down means brake fluid is low. When was the last time you cleaned the drums?

firefighterwhite89
05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
"Brake" light on with parking brake down means brake fluid is low. When was the last time you cleaned the drums?

I've never cleaned the rear drums. They never worked since i got the car and since i've never used it, i tend to forget it's even there. I need to replace all them though honestly.

I thought about the brake fluid today, remembering the two wires leading to my brake fluid cap...gonna stop by the station on the way to work and check/top it off as needed.

I actually think the CV axle is creating the vibration that feels like a tire imbalance. Odd thing is it stop when i depress my brakes or accelerate. Though i was wondering as well if the drivers side front brake caliper was starting to hang up and causing the sound. I noticed though the sound only scrapes when i'm turning left at any speed...

lostforawhile
05-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Why would you ignore your rear brakes not working? Your problem is somewhere in there, they are easy to fix, wheel cylinders are dirt cheap, and you can get new hardware kits for under 20 bucks,the brake light means you have a potentially serious issue

firefighterwhite89
08-10-2013, 08:31 PM
I found out what was causing the scraping noise at random on the car today. Driver side rear brake spring has broken somehow and is rolling around the rear drum. and it's bent not the drum, but the large part the drum connects to. I am not sure what it's called to order it, or even if i can order it for that matter. Hopefully, it won't be a JY part, as these cars are hard to find.

firefighterwhite89
08-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Found this when I removed the tire. Its not supposed to be bent.

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Prevail

Clockworkz
08-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Looks fine to me man!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Dr_Snooz
08-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Found this when I removed the tire. Its not supposed to be bent.

WTF? We need more pics.

firefighterwhite89
08-11-2013, 07:58 PM
The picture is showing where somehow the piece behind the brake drum is bent. I could not get the drum off to inspect. This is the only picture I took because of that. I can take a ton of pics of how it's bent though, but I'm gonna warn ya, they'll look exactly the same as the only picture I took. Lol. Mainly, I need to know what that piece is called that mounts at the hub area. The part that the wheel cylinder, shoes, etc attatch to. I couldn't figure out what its called from the manual. All I know is it isn't supposed to be bent. And before I go prying on this whole assembly, I need this new part to reinstall.

HLW
08-11-2013, 10:54 PM
The picture is showing where somehow the piece behind the brake drum is bent. I could not get the drum off to inspect. This is the only picture I took because of that. I can take a ton of pics of how it's bent though, but I'm gonna warn ya, they'll look exactly the same as the only picture I took. Lol. Mainly, I need to know what that piece is called that mounts at the hub area. The part that the wheel cylinder, shoes, etc attatch to. I couldn't figure out what its called from the manual. All I know is it isn't supposed to be bent. And before I go prying on this whole assembly, I need this new part to reinstall.

That is the rear brake backing plate. It is not available from the dealer. You may need to loosen the break adjuster to remove the drum.

firefighterwhite89
08-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Thank you so much. That's exactly the information I was looking for. B-)