PDA

View Full Version : Wireless ignition system

Legend_master
05-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Well the next project in line is a simple, but secure keyless ignition system. What I have come up with was an RFid system. I purchased this 12V setup, once the FOB gets within 3 inches of the antenna it will send out a 12V signal. I need some help with what kind of relay to use. Something that will trigger the II position on the ignition switch once it receives a 12V signal. So does anybody have any ideas on what relay to use?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/4C37F93C-D513-46FD-A9FD-1078FD6EA2C1-15702-0000094851530130_zps2581630b.jpg

griffs68
05-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Wouldnt any of the relays that are out there with pig-tails would work. Cant be any harder then doing your dash should be way easier

Legend_master
05-02-2013, 05:07 PM
My biggest concern is the amount of voltage going through the relay. Also I don't know what style relay will connect all 6 needed wires when it receives a 12v signal. The wiring is simple, just not familiar with relays!

lostforawhile
05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I will try and redraw my schematics I came up with, you need some sort of off delay module and to set up the relays to latch, then you can turn the ignition off but only on with the module, I used switches in the car for ignition and for start, but they are useless without the rfid fob, I set it up to swipe the fob, then you have a delay in which you can turn on the switches, which self latch, once you turn them off, you need the key fob to turn them back on . it's also easy to use the switch in the drivers seat belt as an anti carjacking feature, if you unbuckle the seatbelt with the switches on power is cut to the ignition and the module is required to turn it back on

lostforawhile
05-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I've seen a system for sale also, it's for motorcycles, it's hands free, you get on the bike, ignition can be turned on, without you there, the ignition wont work , it's a more powerful reader

2ndGenGuy
05-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I dunno what kind of power the ignition switch carries though it, but the relay I used for my ignition system is rated to handle 40 amps, it's just one of those standard little square relays with the 87/88/30 numbers written on the terminals. I can't imagine more than that flowing through the ignition switch (I could be wrong though). Also, you could always split the 12v signal and send it to multiple relays to split up the load if you're worried about it.

Hazwan
05-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Do 3g have ignition relay stock? If so you shouldn't have much problems running any kind of relay else it *might* be an issue if you have a 30A relay when everything switched is going through the single relay. I'm not sure on 3g specifically but most cars have 2 wires for the IGN circuit and you should be able to put 2 separate relays for it. Split the 12V switched output from the module into 2 relays.

My remote start system have 2 IGN relays and it was split into those 2 wires at the switch and everything works perfectly but then its a 1g.

How exactly is the wireless module works? Are you going to replace the ignition key switch altogether or?

Hazwan
05-02-2013, 10:31 PM
I will try and redraw my schematics I came up with, you need some sort of off delay module and to set up the relays to latch, then you can turn the ignition off but only on with the module, I used switches in the car for ignition and for start, but they are useless without the rfid fob, I set it up to swipe the fob, then you have a delay in which you can turn on the switches, which self latch, once you turn them off, you need the key fob to turn them back on . it's also easy to use the switch in the drivers seat belt as an anti carjacking feature, if you unbuckle the seatbelt with the switches on power is cut to the ignition and the module is required to turn it back on

Why would you want it to latch in this case? Its just a matter of getting the fob near the car to turn/enable the system and move away from the car to turn it off? How would you turn it off if you have it latched?

lostforawhile
05-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Why would you want it to latch in this case? Its just a matter of getting the fob near the car to turn/enable the system and move away from the car to turn it off? How would you turn it off if you have it latched?
those rfid units only work a few inches away, unless you get one of the expensive systems which can detect the fob a few feet away, the idea is to hide the sensor somewhere in the car, swipe the key fob, then you can power up the car, once you move the key fob away, it switches off again, so you need a relay to latch

lostforawhile
05-03-2013, 12:04 AM
you need more then one relay, there's ignition 1,ignition 2, start and accessory, the heater blower alone draws enough current to require a relay for itself

lostforawhile
05-03-2013, 12:07 AM
I'm not going to reveal all the details of my system, or post pictures, I simply dont want that info out there, you never know who's reading this post , but I can help to get one going, i would suggest using this thread as a general discussion on how to set one of these up, and for no one to reveal system specifics, you could have someone who knows you see this and then know how to disable your security, I'm not saying anyone here on this board, but other people see these posts

dieselgus
05-03-2013, 11:49 PM
You could simply use an entry level Viper remote starter unit. There is a white/blue input wire that will trigger the start process. 1 to 3 negative pulses.

Wonder if something along the lines of a Raspberry Pi would make for a decent logic controller to provide latching for ignition and accessory.

Sent from my rooted Samsung

dieselgus
05-03-2013, 11:59 PM
When the rfid unit sees a valid signal, pulses remote starter, car starts. Press a switch, buckle belt or the like to fire a logic controller to latch the ignition and accessory relays in the remote start unit (crack it open, do a little soldering) to enable driving the car. To shut down, pulse switch again to shut down. In theory not that bad of a process and not too terribly complex to implement. You could get real tricky and do all your wiring inside the fusebox, and remove/unplug your entire key harness. Doing so will leave you with no backup in case the rfid gets wiped out or shits the bed.

Sent from my rooted Samsung

Legend_master
05-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Honestly, the iginition system on this car is very easy to bypass. I don't think my car is in danger of bring stolen. I really just like the idea of getting on the car, and pushing a button to start the car. I'm going to either bypass the steering lock, or maybe rig some kind of actuator.

Rendon LX-i
05-04-2013, 05:14 PM
They have kit for this saw it in person that's my project as well

Legend_master
05-04-2013, 09:53 PM
The kits are way to expensive, I got three of these rfid devices for $17.00 lol.

Dr_Snooz
05-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Another cool project!

Hazwan
05-07-2013, 06:07 AM
If I understand correctly, you're going to use the module to directly switch the IGN to on once the fob is within the range right?

That would be a bad idea if the fob went out of range when you're driving or something LOL unless you went with lost's idea with latching the relay on but then it would be a pita to turn it off. Better idea would be have the module to enable another switch to turn the IGN on/off and obviously enables the start button to work too.

I've seen push button ignition/start button without the actual keyless module on ebay. Shouldn't be too hard to get the button to work as ignition/accessories on and functioning as a start button as well (Y)

edit: I'm too tired but please ignore whatever I said up there if it doesn't make any sense LOL

Legend_master
05-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Makes since, I figured I will use my center console. With the lid closed the keys can't move out of range. I thought about setting up the push button to activate position I for 5 minutes when pressed once. What I'm worried about is that means position I will be active for 5 minutes while position II is also active once I start the car.

Hazwan
05-09-2013, 03:20 AM
Man this thread makes me wanna do this to my car too haah!

Made a quick google and found this and looks like this might work in your case

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/decosse01/RFID/RFID_Latch_Circuit_3.jpg

Switch, right next to the fuse enables the RFID reader, which when the fob is already within range, it would activate the latch relay, turning the pole 1, 2 and 3 relays (ACC, IGN I, IGN II)?

You gonna need another button for start obviously.

I'm half awake atm so excuse me if this doesn't make any sense at all :dunno:

Mind sharing where you got the RFID module? :kekeke: :tongue:

Legend_master
05-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Man this thread makes me wanna do this to my car too haah!

Made a quick google and found this and looks like this might work in your case

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/decosse01/RFID/RFID_Latch_Circuit_3.jpg

Switch, right next to the fuse enables the RFID reader, which when the fob is already within range, it would activate the latch relay, turning the pole 1, 2 and 3 relays (ACC, IGN I, IGN II)?

You gonna need another button for start obviously.

I'm half awake atm so excuse me if this doesn't make any sense at all :dunno:

Mind sharing where you got the RFID module? :kekeke: :tongue:

Interesting, gonna have to figure out what relay was used.

Here is the units I got.

Transponder Proximity Detector RFID Key Fob 3 Units | eBay (http://r.ebay.com/mKui04)

Legend_master
05-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Wonder if something like this could be used to accomplish what I am trying to so.

TECO SG2-10HR-A (http://www.factorymation.com/Products/Full-feature_PLR/SG2-10HR-A.html)

griffs68
05-10-2013, 06:50 PM
legend that wiring diagram would be the easy way to do it, just build a relay box or steal one out of a junkyard car

Legend_master
05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Actually just started looking around ebay, they have exactly what I need for a nice price.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251194666654&index=6&nav=SEARCH&nid=30981745131

Hazwan
05-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Actually just started looking around ebay, they have exactly what I need for a nice price.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251194666654&index=6&nav=SEARCH&nid=30981745131

How does that work? I don't see a fob or anything to 'arm/disarm' the system? Are you going to hook your RFID module to that?

Wheres the purple and yellow wire connect to? I assume to the arm/disarm output from another module/alarm or something? If thats the case then (Y)

Item description made me lol for some reason :lol:

Legend_master
05-11-2013, 06:25 AM
I think it's designed for cars with an alarm already installed. Or cars with keyless entry. I'm just gonna use the rfid as the remote signal.

Legend_master
06-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Actually got some work done on this. Just using the wallet as an example.

http://youtu.be/rVlDVZYyKT4

apache07x
06-19-2013, 11:24 AM

That is pretty cool. I may have to do this myself. Add to it a keyless entry and an actuator to open the trunk with your key fob and you'd have a pretty sweet setup.

Rendon LX-i
06-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Nice.

AccordB20A
06-20-2013, 11:45 PM
very good idea. i nearly did this 6 months ago but gave up cause i had other prioritys

Hazwan
06-21-2013, 03:14 AM
Excellent work right there (Y)

2ndGenGuy
06-21-2013, 08:39 AM
That is so awesome! I need some of that goodness in my car! Thanks for the link to the parts. Pretty damn good price!

Legend_master
06-21-2013, 09:12 AM
I actually used an extra fan switch relay to make this work lol. I'm thinking the main fuel pump relay would work for the actuall start position.

Legend_master
07-03-2013, 04:34 PM
All done!!!! Have not figured out how I'm going to bypass the steering lock. I'm gonna leave the old system in the dash while I test this out.

http://youtu.be/McEvaVozyqU

AccordB20A
07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
so no texting and driving for you then?

i love it

Hazwan
07-04-2013, 03:24 AM
S2k start button nao!

That is insanely cool (Y)

Legend_master
07-04-2013, 06:50 AM
so no texting and driving for you then?

i love it

Well I can actually activate Siri via the button on the radio, and txt with my voice lol.

S2k start button nao!

That is insanely cool (Y)

I like it all stealthy 8-|....

Hazwan
03-26-2014, 12:06 AM

So I kinda want to go with this particular system on mine to retain the factory look. Except I would keep my alarm to unlock/disarm the alarm before I could open the door and get in the car. I'll have to disable the stock key switch to get rid of the steering lock apparently.

Basically:

Disarm the alarm - unlock the doors with my remote manually
Get in the car, put the 'keys' with the RFID tag on the center console or whatever
Push button enabled - push to turn ignition ON and start
Push it again to turn it off
Grab the 'keys', get out of the car, arm manually like usual

Mine is slightly more complicated than legend's reason being I still would like to keep my alarm and with the alarm armed it won't enable the RFID/push button system. Even if its disarmed it won't work without the RFID and it won't turn on if the alarm is armed.

I do have a question of how secure the RFID system really is?

/threadjack

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2014, 04:25 AM

Some reading.

Car RFID Security System Cracked - Slashdot (http://it-beta.slashdot.org/story/05/01/29/0233218/car-rfid-security-system-cracked)

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/10/rfid_car_keys.html

2oodoor
03-26-2014, 05:23 AM
such awesomeness, destined towards the Knowledge Base fur sure :)

Legend_master
03-26-2014, 06:55 AM
So I kinda want to go with this particular system on mine to retain the factory look. Except I would keep my alarm to unlock/disarm the alarm before I could open the door and get in the car. I'll have to disable the stock key switch to get rid of the steering lock apparently.

Basically:

Disarm the alarm - unlock the doors with my remote manually
Get in the car, put the 'keys' with the RFID tag on the center console or whatever
Push button enabled - push to turn ignition ON and start
Push it again to turn it off
Grab the 'keys', get out of the car, arm manually like usual

Mine is slightly more complicated than legend's reason being I still would like to keep my alarm and with the alarm armed it won't enable the RFID/push button system. Even if its disarmed it won't work without the RFID and it won't turn on if the alarm is armed.

/threadjack

If you are gonna keep the key, you do not have have to disable your steering lock. Also removing the RFID should turn the car off.

Hazwan
03-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Key won't be used to start the car. Doors are locked/unlocked with my alarm remote and rfid tags is needed to turn the ignition and start the car. Alarm would also enable/disable the rfid system. Also, looks like the other kit I quoted won't turn the ignition off if the tag is removed. It would turn off when I manually press the button to turn it off so accidentally moving the tag won't shut the car off

Legend_master
03-26-2014, 04:58 PM
You should look into these systems. You could incorporate them into you RFID system. I think it's one click for aux mode, 2 clicks to start, then another click to shut the car off.

car engine push start button FS 50 ignition starter/keyless go system, push button engine start stop system-in Alarm Systems & Security from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/car-engine-push-start-button-FS-50-ignition-starter-keyless-go-system-push-button-engine-start/536702735.html?af=ppc&isdl=y&src=Google&albch=Google&albcp=Search_Search-ALL-PLA&albkw=None_US-Shopping-Search-Product-AliExpress_none_none&albag=home_none_Search-ALL-PLA_1013999999870&albmt=broad&albst=search-text&albom=OTHERS_None_20130807_Aliexpress&creative=31447451305&ptsid=1013999999870&gclid=CK-34q_Asb0CFbTm7AodLwoAOA)

Legend_master
03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
12V Car Vehicle Keyless Go Smart Engine Start Ignition One Key Start Push Button | eBay (http://m.ebay.com/itm/251394915308?nav=SEARCH)

Hazwan
03-26-2014, 08:22 PM
They're the same thing with the one I quoted from your post up there sir :squint:

Legend_master
03-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Long day at work lol.