PDA

View Full Version : Cluthc Problem

sanfermin13
11-01-2002, 11:49 AM
I'm having a problem with the clutch in my 86 LX. It is engaging all the way down on the floor. I've had it readjusted twice, and it works okay, but it keeps getting worse. Also, it seems to get worse after about 20 mins of driving. Any ideas???

jteuton
11-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Sounds like time for a new clutch. They usually start out engaging high.....and then as time wears on you keep threading the adjusting nut down and down bringing the clutch pedal closer to the floor. When you run out of adjustment it is theoraticly time to replace a worn clutch

smufguy
11-01-2002, 12:00 PM
u never mess with the clutch adjuster. unless its right after u install a new clutch. This is because, frequent adjusting of the clutch cable will reduce the detection of clutch wear that is usually noted by gear engagement when the pedal is floored. Bring it back to the right position and have ur clutch replaced soon. Ur looking at around 400 - 500 bucks with parts and labor.

NOTE: All manuals should have their clutch adjusted, but not after the normal limit is crossed.

jteuton
11-01-2002, 12:04 PM
So what your saying is the clutch pedal will always engage in the same place after you put it in? No,,, it wears and gets to the point where you have no pedal left. The only way I know to alleviate this problem is to adjust the nut. After you can't adjust no more and the clutch is gone you have to get a new one. I don't understand your reasoning?

smufguy
11-01-2002, 12:13 PM
u put it in simple words jteuton. yep, u need adjusting, but some ppl adjust it too much. Which wears down the cluch real soon as u know. BUt its always better to have one stage before the last one to prevent getting stranded on a highway when ur going to take ur gf out or somethin like that :D

accord_lx_86
11-03-2002, 02:24 AM
jteuton...sounds like ur pressure plate is worn down...my 86 done the same thing...and if ur pressure plate is worn down then the clutch more than likely is too...so just get a clutch kit and put a new clutch in...............when i changed mine...the pressure plate is suppose to have some spring to it when u take the bolts out...mine didnt...it was wore out

accord_lx_86
11-03-2002, 02:28 AM
well...not u jteuton...i meant sanferman13.....im not all here right now

jteuton
11-03-2002, 10:35 AM
yeah mine is new ....i would have a shit fit if it gave problems

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 10:39 AM
didnt someone else have this problem a while ago?????

and wasnt it the clutch cable itself.....that the threads were stripped and it was loosining itself after a bit of driving....

or else it could be the pressure plate...it may be getting stuck ...

BEn

anchovies
11-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Test your clutch by cruising on the highway on 4-5th gear and depress the clutch and let it go quickly. If it feels like it still grabs then the clutch should still be okie. And do it on a warmed clutch.

shepherd79
11-04-2002, 05:29 AM
wait a minute, when you take foot of the clutch pedal where does it grab on the floor or at the top when you almost have your foot of the pedal?
my clutch was grabbing at the top when i got my car. at that moment i knew my clutch was a gonner. clutch supposed to grab when your foot still on the floor. it is a good sign on a nice clutch.

socal3rdgen
11-04-2002, 08:33 AM
is this the right nut adjustment for a just installed clutch. ill give a diagram and put a arrow where mine is at. tell me if it needs to be higher.

-
-
-
- <-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Dutchboy
11-04-2002, 08:36 AM
the clutch should have like 1/2 a centimetre of play at the end of the clutch arm were the cable connects...
there isnt a set adjustment for it since it will wear and then you have to readjust it again...

BEn