PDA

View Full Version : Dual Exhaust

HondaManDan
11-01-2002, 12:04 PM
alright.. there's this guy on the board with a purple/black/blue car... with green flames on it and a hood scoop... anyhoo he's got a dual exhaust in the ass end of his car. i was wondering what kind of work/materials is needed to do this conversion?
is it as simple as taking off the cat back and adding a cross pipe to another muffler... then just welding in bracketts and mounts?? what about heat shielding issues???
can someone help me out here? this conversion looks badass and sounds cool too.. i wanna try it :).

jteuton
11-01-2002, 12:08 PM
It will probalby make you lose low end torque like there wasn't no tommorrow. Basically it has to y off at a good point under the car and head to the other side....that simple. You need to stay away from the suspension and gas tank and keep it a good distance from the floor of the car. Other than that I think you can get away with no heat shields.

HondaManDan
11-01-2002, 12:13 PM
I was thinkin of cutting my exhaust off after the cat. then welding in a Y pipe and running the two parallel for about a foot... then put in 2 90degree bends around the gas tank and floor of the trunk and going straight out the back. (you dont need a resonator do you?)

jteuton
11-01-2002, 12:22 PM
No resonator.....it will be a lot louder though but a nice sound to it. It will look killer.....but you will notice a huge loss in your lowend with so much pipe. Might gain a bit in topend but not enough to justify doing it

HondaManDan
11-01-2002, 12:37 PM
im not looking for power.. im looking for looks and sound

jteuton
11-01-2002, 12:51 PM
then dude go for it......it will look and sound killer

1989se-i
11-01-2002, 02:11 PM
Taking out the resonator will make you lose lots of low end power? :( I was gonna do that tomoro morning.....

Mantis88LX
11-01-2002, 02:24 PM
no, removing resonator doesnt, putting dual exaust will.

Grant2k
11-01-2002, 03:31 PM
that's darkhonda89's car.

carotman
11-01-2002, 03:54 PM
dual exhaust on a 4 cyl is useless. ESPECIALLY if your car doesn't even 100 HP.

Sorry to be honest but I think it will ruin the look of the car and just be loud for nothing.

HondaManDan
11-01-2002, 04:15 PM
ok.... reccomendations for a singular exhaust system????

Grant2k
11-01-2002, 04:49 PM
there are a million posts on here about exhaust. most inlove a dynomax tubo muffler and 2.25" piping. look around.

jlaccord89lxi
11-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by carotman
dual exhaust on a 4 cyl is useless. ESPECIALLY if your car doesn't even 100 HP.

Sorry to be honest but I think it will ruin the look of the car and just be loud for nothing.

i agree with carotman...you will loose alot of power for the sake of having a nice sound. If you absolutely need the looks and the sound, you should just get a killer singular exhaust done (for sound) and just get a "dud" muffler welded on some kind of an arm bracket to the left under-side of yer tailend. This will give you the sound and the looks without any power loss. I've seen it done to a civic around my city and he did it for the simple reason that if he did a real dual exhaust he would have lost a ton of power. The only thing is you would have a fake dual system but who gives a shit about what other people think ;)

Scorpion88LX
11-01-2002, 05:35 PM
I agree with Carot a dual exhost on a 4cyl. is useless, and the 90 degree bends would ruin any flow thats there.
Since you said you were dumping that idea, you should use a 2.25" stainless steel tube, all mandrell bent. I don't know what mufler you want since you are going for sound, I personaly would go with the lightest, quitest sounding one.

carotman
11-01-2002, 06:43 PM
well it's not useless on any 4cyl (check the s2000)

It's useless for low power engines :)