PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors $400 find has some issues

seancmadison
05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
So made a new post cause its some things on one post and other things. Ok to start specs. Its a 1988 Honda accord lx carb. 220,000 miles and im not sure if its replacement or stock. Issues drivin idle fine no issues go up hill or under a load and dies like fuel starvation. Replaced fuel pump and both filters. After it dies if u let it sit it starts right up but go up hill and it dies again. Now i live in the mountains and only options for test is up hill. U know how your grandparents always siad " i walked 15 miles to school up hill both ways" well i have up hill all ways so flat land test is almost impossible i haven't been able to get it to town witch is 4why miles up and down hills. So the worry about other problems related to this is watter/ drops of coolent look oily but i also know most radiator quick fixes from kragen or gas stations that most times wont work are oily looking when used. An idea i had wile writing (typing) this is the fuel pump for a lxi (fuel injection) at a slower rate cause it builds pressure or was the lower fps pump for the carb.

Dr_Snooz
05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Does the problem also happen at WOT?

seancmadison
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
With out throttle? It idles great witch is why i thought fuel pump and both filters but still no change

HLW
05-16-2013, 01:17 PM
With out throttle? It idles great witch is why i thought fuel pump and both filters but still no change

WOT = Wide Open Throttle or full throttle.

The FI fuel pump has way too high of pressure for a carb. If it only happens going uphill check the float level on the carb, there is a window for that on the side that the fuel level needs to be in the middle of the window. If the fuel level (float level) is too high, you might be flooding the engine when going uphill. There is a procedure for checking and adjusting the float level in the factory manual on page 11-28.

seancmadison
05-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Wide open in neutral or wile driving. I haven't had an issue sitting still its only when driving. The carb sounds it. And thats what i thought but wanted two cent's on this issue before carb rebuild.