PDA

View Full Version : JIS rebuilt A20s on ebay: any good?

LowSider
05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Anyone have any experiance with the jis rebuilt a20s on ebay?

Honda 86 89 Accord A20A3 Engine Long Block HLBA20F | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-86-89-Accord-A20A3-Engine-Long-Block-HLBA20F-/170721486121)

2oodoor
05-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Not a good deal financialy but to answer your question, no.

conozo
05-07-2013, 07:16 AM
I've wondered about these JIS engines too. Why not good deal financially? A completely rebuilt engine for $900 seems like a good deal to me, i see other rebuilt and non rebuilt engines go for much more than this on ebay and elsewhere.

cygnus x-1
05-07-2013, 07:58 AM
I have no idea if they are any good but for a rebuilt long block it's not a bad deal. It would cost that much (or possibly more depending on how worn the engine is) to have a local shop do it. The other thing to figure in with the Ebay one though is shipping for the new engine and the core return. That won't be cheap.

C|

lostforawhile
05-07-2013, 09:09 AM
mushroom toy has a running a20 in gainsville right now, he doesnt want much for it, i dont think he will ship though

2oodoor
05-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I've wondered about these JIS engines too. Why not good deal financially? A completely rebuilt engine for $900 seems like a good deal to me, i see other rebuilt and non rebuilt engines go for much more than this on ebay and elsewhere.

Because there are so many sittng in junkyards with minor head issues but with perfect cylinders and short blocks that just need new various rubber seals. Even good running engines with auto trans that crapped out. It's just not the route I woukd take myself for a fresh A20. I would never mail order a rebuilt a20 long block for 900-1000 bucks...you still have another 500 r to spend on unknowns and maitenance items after installing a long block, it's not turnkey solution.
For later models I would consider LKQ or Weaver recyclers for their warranty, also factory rebuilts and places like Jasper Engines.
Wh would a online vendor even bother to rebuild a 20 year old motor, how do you know what happened to the donar block/head? I would feel better having my own block reconditioned that way I know it didn't sling a rod or break a crank, or freeze up and bust.
Read the sellers complete warranty documents beforehand.