PDA

View Full Version : squealing brakes

86AccordLxi
11-01-2002, 04:41 PM
This isn't to big of a problem, but i was wondering if there was a quick fix for it; when i'm driving along (esp at slow speeds), my passenger brake squeals a little bit and when i tap the brake it stops...is there any way to quickly/cheaply fix this? Or do i need to replace the caliper or something?

Alex

anchovies
11-01-2002, 10:29 PM
The longer you let it go the more expensive it costs you. The metal indicator on the brake pad is touching on your rotors and hence, you hear the squel. The longer you let it go, the metal indicator will make grooves on your rotors, if not already.
No quick fix for this. Just change the brake pads (both sides L and R). Easy job.

ACCORD EX
11-02-2002, 05:10 AM
squel could be > worn out pads or pads are dirty are need to be cleaned out ( sanded ) some people use anti squeel stuff too !

MIKE

86AccordLxi
11-02-2002, 04:25 PM
Anchovies: the pads are less than one year old and looked good last time i checked them 2-3 months ago, so i don't think this is the problem. So they probably just need to be cleaned? Somebody told me an emory cloth on the pads is a good idea. Is this true? Thanks for your help.

Alex

ACCORD EX
11-03-2002, 08:58 AM
don't know what emory clotch is but i use sand paper !

MIKE

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 10:32 AM
emory cloth is just like steel wool in a thin pad form....

brake squeel will happen becasue of the heat ...its normal to have some squeel once and awhile

But just so you know most squeels arent the pads themselves but the little shims that are behind the pads....Thats why when they do your brakes they should put brake lube on the shims and back of the brake pads....MIne were doing the same so i took them apart and lubed them up and now they dont do it that often

if its coming from the rear then most likely they need to be adjusted

BEn

Scorpion88LX
11-03-2002, 10:59 AM
It is always recamended to puut lub and anti-squel stuff. on when changing brake pads. And dutchboy is right usually shims. But i would go ahead and look at the pads, with the way i drive i can go through pads in less than 6 months and rotors in about a year.

anchovies
11-04-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by 86AccordLxi
Anchovies: the pads are less than one year old and looked good last time i checked them 2-3 months ago, so i don't think this is the problem.

Alex, I don't know how hard you drive. But it's not difficult to check the brake pads. If you're sure it's not the pads, then just spray some brake cleaner on the calipers throughly. If that doesn't stop it, and definitely not your brake pads, then you have to take it out and lube it with "brake quiet" lube (e.g. blue/orange stuff) on the shims and back of pads.
Good luck

shepherd79
11-04-2002, 05:40 AM
go to any autoparts store and ask for antisquiling lubricant for brakes. it is like 99cents.
but i have to agree with anchovies. when i replaced mine for the first time, a year later i had to replace them and rotors again, because pads were gone and rotors were warped.