PDA

View Full Version : Turbo kits?

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Would any of you guys be interested in turbo kits built around the Mosselman manifold? I know the GB is done, but there still seems to be some demand. An email has been sent to Mosselman inquiring about the rest of the manifolds. That leads me to having a bunch of manifolds, but still no supply of other hard parts.

Now, I'm doing some research in building turbo kits for our cars. I think it can be done, and the price should fall in line with any other high quality turbo kit for other cars. I could offer used or rebuilt turbos, for the budget builders. Every other part would be new, and the kits would include every nut, bolt, hose, fitting, maybe even the kitchen sink for good measure. There will be detailed instructions, including videos to guide you along.

How much would you guys be willing to pay for a kit like this? Anyone willing to buy one today if it existed?

2oodoor
05-10-2013, 04:06 AM
That is what Ive suggested from the start of this GB. There is no strieght forward DIY tutorial here on installing a standard turbo set up. Sure there is lots of info but ya kniw I don't think any two set ups here are the same :)C

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah, and I think we need a full system that provides a good upgrade path. I just need to gauge interest and see how much these kits would be worth. I know all of us can cobble together a system and make it work, but it takes money to get them right. If the money is there, these will go into production. I'm already in contact with several other suppliers to get the ball rolling.

Legend_master
05-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Great idea, if I had an a20 i would see the price around $800.

griffs68
05-10-2013, 04:26 PM
you would have to have two kits or some of the peeps would have to cross over to fuel injection

CzEcHy
05-10-2013, 04:29 PM
We will need to prioritize obd1 over obd0 people tho I'd think. It would make it far more reliable and easy to manage. It'll also prevent mistuning or horrible performance.

griffs68
05-10-2013, 04:35 PM
in non smog states you could use a holly push though carb with the turbo and adapt it to the manifold.. :) use those on VW sand rails

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I have engine controls handled. It will be a megasquirt plug and play system. Drop it in, use your existing ECU connectors, add a couple of sensors, and BOOM done. I'm planning on making kits for both the 86/7 cars and the 88/9 cars.

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2013, 04:45 PM
It will not be CARB legal, and will be for "off road purposes only".

Legend_master
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I have engine controls handled. It will be a megasquirt plug and play system. Drop it in, use your existing ECU connectors, add a couple of sensors, and BOOM done. I'm planning on making kits for both the 86/7 cars and the 88/9 cars.

Didn't realize you would be providing engine management, easily a $1000 kit then.

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Have you priced turbos and megasquirt kits lately? Remember, quality parts, OEM fitment. I was looking at closer to $2500. A new turbo is nearly $1000 for a good one. I could do junkyard turbos with rebuilds, but those are still in the $400 range by the time you've rebuilt them and counted labor.

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I could do a carb type setup, but since it's megasquirt anyway, swapping over to EFI will be simplified. You can take the opportunity to use one of the high performance intakes. It might be something that I can provide as a full kit, too. Again, OEM type fitment. That type of kit would be even more expensive due to a higher parts count.

I'm not looking to get rich, but this does take a lot of time and my own money to do the research to build these kits. For example, I need to buy an EFI early model 3gee, or find someone local that can loan me their car for development. If I were to do a carb system, I'd need to buy at least one carbed car. I probably need to install an automatic in one to make sure everything operates as it should with an automatic. Again, lots and lots of time, money, and work.

Legend_master
05-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Just my opinion, but I think you will find very few people willing to pay that on this forum. How about you let them choose a turbo to keep cost in whatever range they are looking for?

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Because I'd still need to provide all of the other parts, including the ignition system. Not including a turbo would still be in the $1500 range. The MS is a bit over $300 itself.

allhailmj23
05-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Honestly, $2000-$2500 is a good price, considering many people nowadays pay close to $4000 for turbo/supercharger kits from Greddy, Vortech, Jackson Racing and other big names. Depending on how soon this may happen, I would be interested. But now I have a huge dilemma: JDM B20A for $900, or turbo A20 for $2500...

apache07x
06-19-2013, 06:17 AM
I could do a carb type setup, but since it's megasquirt anyway, swapping over to EFI will be simplified. You can take the opportunity to use one of the high performance intakes. It might be something that I can provide as a full kit, too. Again, OEM type fitment. That type of kit would be even more expensive due to a higher parts count.

I'm not looking to get rich, but this does take a lot of time and my own money to do the research to build these kits. For example, I need to buy an EFI early model 3gee, or find someone local that can loan me their car for development. If I were to do a carb system, I'd need to buy at least one carbed car. I probably need to install an automatic in one to make sure everything operates as it should with an automatic. Again, lots and lots of time, money, and work.

I've got an 87 carbed automatic and an 88 EFI 5 speed and willing to help.

Vanilla Sky
06-19-2013, 08:17 AM
I really need an 86 or 87 EFI car.

apache07x
06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
I really need an 86 or 87 EFI car.

Oh okay. Didn't know if a carbed car would be of interest or not.

Doward
06-19-2013, 04:27 PM
You'll have a hard time selling more than a couple of them, I believe. Just not THAT much interest in our little A20s.

That said, I'm going to build a B20A turbo MS-III system, but I'm crazy like that lol.

Vanilla Sky
06-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah, this looks like it's going to end up becoming a parts list and a how-to instead of a kit. I might offer a couple of hard parts like a down pipe, but I really don't think a kit is the way to go right now. The rest of the Mosselman manifolds will be mine when I have the money, though. That puts them in an easier place for people to purchase them when the time comes.

Doward
06-20-2013, 04:54 AM
You'd probably be much *much* better off doing that - sell the hard parts individually, as people would be more likely to buy parts as they could afford them.

If I were doing it, I'd offer:

a. PnP MegaSquirt harness
b. T3 Downpipe from Mosselman manifold to stock catback location
c. Odds and ends (does the Mosselman require a custom bracket to keep AC, for instance? - if so, offer it)

There are *so* many universal intercooler kits on ebay, I don't know that you'd have a need to build a 'custom' setup.

apache07x
06-20-2013, 06:50 AM
You'd probably be much *much* better off doing that - sell the hard parts individually, as people would be more likely to buy parts as they could afford them.

If I were doing it, I'd offer:

a. PnP MegaSquirt harness
b. T3 Downpipe from Mosselman manifold to stock catback location
c. Odds and ends (does the Mosselman require a custom bracket to keep AC, for instance? - if so, offer it)

There are *so* many universal intercooler kits on ebay, I don't know that you'd have a need to build a 'custom' setup.

I agree a lot of times I have to buy things a piece at a time just because it's hard to come up with 2500 at once. 400 or 500 usually isn't a problem though

A20A1
03-20-2015, 10:57 PM
How many manifolds did you end up getting?

MessyHonda
03-30-2015, 11:35 AM
^ some one is back from the dead...:welcome:

I seen the manifold in person and they look great. now someone has to to get one running. So far only Richard is the one that is very close.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/classic-honda-pics-videos/59851-frantiks-green-monster-past-present-future.html

Vanilla Sky
04-06-2015, 04:27 PM
I bought 13 of them.

rushell
04-06-2015, 06:23 PM
do u still have any turbo manifolds left

MessyHonda
04-07-2015, 01:19 PM
13 manifolds and no one is turbo....man if i had this back in the day i would of had a turbo a20. this is why i converted to obd1 back in 2007

2ndGenGuy
04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Yeah, that's strange isn't it. So many people got the Manifolds. Haven't seen one in use yet.

Speaking of Turbo Manifolds... Messy? :)

MessyHonda
04-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that's strange isn't it. So many people got the Manifolds. Haven't seen one in use yet.

Speaking of Turbo Manifolds... Messy? :)

:welcome:

Tdurr
04-13-2015, 06:54 AM
lol i had one of these. just to help the cause i bought it.

Hondaprelude85
08-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Where can I buy a turbo manifold