PDA

View Full Version : loud squeek and smoke under hood

89lxi95zx7
11-02-2002, 07:07 AM
ON the way to work this morning i was doing about 75 mph,i heard a loud squeel from under hood.i went away afer a few seconds,pulled up to light and smoke wads coming out from under hood.got to work,looked under hood,nothing out of place.so:wtf:

Neuspeed007
11-02-2002, 11:08 AM
you might have had a hose snap, check all your hoses, or metal might have grinded on something, just check all the small stuff

89lxi95zx7
11-02-2002, 11:12 AM
i'm done w/ work in 20 mins., my 1st thought was a belt.
THANX NEUSPEED

A20A1
11-02-2002, 11:23 AM
check if the water pump seized... if it did then don't go driving

ACCORD EX
11-02-2002, 11:51 AM
how was the tempreture when that happened !

MIKE

AZmike
11-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Can't an alternator going bad do all those things?

Dutchboy
11-02-2002, 10:13 PM
id check the pump or the alternator....

i had my water pump seize on me in my old accord....so i ripped the belt off and drove it straight home...just dont let the car overheat if it is that....then your looking for more trouble.

BEn

ACCORD EX
11-03-2002, 08:59 AM
what is a siezed water pump !

and what is the symptoms of water pump goin bad ? i know the car is overheating but it could do that for a lot of reasons !

MIKE

87accordlx
11-03-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Dutchboy
id check the pump or the alternator....

i had my water pump seize on me in my old accord....so i ripped the belt off and drove it straight home...just dont let the car overheat if it is that....then your looking for more trouble.

BEn
isn't it the timing belt that drives our water pump? if so you aren't gonna move anywhere without a timing belt

offthahook
11-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 87accordlx

isn't it the timing belt that drives our water pump? if so you aren't gonna move anywhere without a timing belt

The timing belt needs to "worK" for any belts/pulleys to work. However, he could have a fried V belt and the timing belt still work. The water pump belt also turns the alternator pulley. His timing belt is fine obviously, but there could be a damaged exterior belt...

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 10:28 AM
a water pump that is seized is when the bearings inside have got ruined by water entering them and then when the car has sat for a bit the rust seizes the bearing and your pump will not turn...

theres a hole underneath the water pump on the pump itself.Its a "weeping hole" ...there a seals on the pump shaft that seal the water from the bearings and when the seals go bad and passes them the water will drip out the hole and down underneath the pump or hit the belt and splatter under the hood..

the pumps also wear out from use....IM not saying its the pump but if it is they are real cheap...there like 35$ canadian...

WHATS the update on the cars condidtion????????????????:wtf:

and no the timing belt doesnt drive the pump...it drives the oil pump! and of course the valves..

later
BEn

ACCORD EX
11-03-2002, 11:09 PM
thanx Dutchbody ! :)

MIKE

89lxi95zx7
11-05-2002, 04:59 AM
It was the lower v-belt. I think it connects a pulley to a/c pump,havn't fixed it yet,but it drives fine for now,have'ta look at repair manual.thanx guys