PDA

View Full Version : Any cruise control experts here?

89creampuff
05-13-2013, 05:44 PM
89 Accord LX automatic, cruise is acting strange, most of the time it will not set at the speed of the car at time of button push (light comes on on dash), it can drop 8 or more mph before it locks in, resume appears to work correctly once it decides to lock a specific speed. Most of the time accel will not increase the speed, it drops back to the previous set speed once the button is released.

any advice on where (what parts) to start the troubleshooting would be appreciated.

the car has 46k original miles if that makes any difference. This car was driven in town by a little old lady all of its life, I doubt the cruise was used much if at all before I bought it.

TIA.

Rendon LX-i
05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
check your vacuum lines on the cruise unit.

2ndGenGuy
05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Yep, I think there's only a few parts to the cruise. The vacuum operated actuator, the control box computer thingy, the VSS, and the switch.

Sounds like once it finally sets, it's able to hold your speed just fine? If you hit ACCEL, it speeds up, but then drops back to the originally locked speed? Almost sounds like the control box isn't quite working right to me.

lostforawhile
05-13-2013, 11:08 PM
i have a spare box if you need one

Dr_Snooz
05-14-2013, 06:24 PM
The manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) has a great troubleshooting section starting on p. 25-71. It can do what we can't here.

89creampuff
05-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Yep, I think there's only a few parts to the cruise. The vacuum operated actuator, the control box computer thingy, the VSS, and the switch.

Sounds like once it finally sets, it's able to hold your speed just fine? If you hit ACCEL, it speeds up, but then drops back to the originally locked speed? Almost sounds like the control box isn't quite working right to me.

It holds speed fine but tends to select its own speed lower than what i try to set it at, yes accel speeds the car up but when I let go of the button it returns to the original speed that was set.

thanks to all who answered.

Yes i checked the vac lines and they are in good shape. I will try the troubleshooting section of the Honda manual, see if anything turns up when testing.

89creampuff
05-15-2013, 05:51 PM
i have a spare box if you need one

Thanks, I may need one if I don't find any other problems.

Jafir
05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
I vote actuator cable needs adjusted.

Dr_Snooz
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
My money is on the actuator leaking vacuum.

lostforawhile
05-17-2013, 09:03 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/technical/66399-cruise-control-info-2.html

seancmadison
05-17-2013, 09:10 AM
What about slowly decreasing speed wile in cruise. Dont mean to hijack but when i set speed it looses about 1milethe per minuet. Like the cable is slipping. Is this common or normal?

Jafir
05-17-2013, 09:57 AM
What about slowly decreasing speed wile in cruise. Dont mean to hijack but when i set speed it looses about 1milethe per minuet. Like the cable is slipping. Is this common or normal?

My money is on the actuator leaking vacuum.

This one certainly sounds like vacuum as mentioned by Dr_Snooz. There cars were about 10 years newer when I was working with them than they are now, so I don't recall many vacuum problems, but I can see as they age the diaphragms might start to leak.

89creampuff
05-26-2013, 12:27 PM

does not slip, just will not set at the speed I hit the set button at, on average I have to do at least 5 miles over the speed I want when I hit the set button, so I drive 75 and hit set, then it drops down to 69-70 and holds that speed. resume works fine.

Have not had time to look into it, been busy at the shop where I work at, no time for me!

One other thing I have noticed, the cruise on/off switch on the dash stays on all the time, cannot turn it off. button seems to be non functional, no click or anything when I push it.

89creampuff
05-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I vote actuator cable needs adjusted.

Ill try to get a look at that next week, thanks.