PDA

View Full Version : Need Master Cylinder

DBMaster
11-02-2002, 02:23 PM
Any ideas as to the best online source for a new master cylinder? Nopi has them for $60. It still works fine. There is just the telltale brake fluid wetting the booster underneath.

I got 93,000 miles out of the original and now this one has 107,000 miles on it. It was a new one from Honda that was put in under warranty. I find that if you can get new ones they last a lot longer than rebuilt.

Thanks!

smufguy
11-02-2002, 08:37 PM
its just amazing how urs went bad. to me, i would just hit the junk and get it and have it run as long as it can and then get a rebuilt one. The rebuilt ones are real close to the brand new ones, IMO.

DBMaster
11-03-2002, 12:12 PM
Well, years ago you used to be able to buy a rebuild kit. I rebuilt a coulpe of Toyota M/C's. The kit has a new piston and all the seals. You just pulled a lock ring, yanked the old piston and seals, and popped the new one in.

The problem with rebuilts is that you have to make sure you are getting one from a really good remanufacturer. Most people do not change their brake fluid. This leads to trapped water and rust pitting on the interior surfaces of the cylinders, calipers and M/C. If the bore is not cleaned well you end up with premature failure. It is enough of a pain to change that I would just as soon buy a new one. I just wanted to find out if anyone knew where to get one for less than $60. It actually seemed like a good price considering that a new one from Majestic is over $100.

I can't really afford a second set of payments, but I do have the luxury of affording to be able to buy the parts to fix things right the first time. When a car has 200K miles on it you have to fix problems as they occur. Otherwise, you turn around in a year and you're driving a sled. I prefer to use the junk yard for parts that generally don't wear out.

I might call a couple of my local mom and pop auto parts places. They often carry parts from better rebuilders.

Thanks!

ccpp
11-03-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
I just wanted to find out if anyone knew where to get one for less than $60. It actually seemed like a good price considering that a new one from Majestic is over $100.

I just got a MC from manhonda.com 2 days ago for a 96 accord with abs. It costs 82 plus 9 for shipping. It is a "Nissin". I don't have time to put it in yet. I think the MC for a 3G is actaully cheaper than that.

Anyway, if you don't need a Honda oem one, then you can get one from www.performancemotorcars.com I brought a set a rear rotors and pads from them and received them only 2 days after I ordered. And the shipping is free for orders over 50$ with UPS. There is one for 51$ made by "Nippon". You heard of that brand?

DBMaster
11-03-2002, 09:50 PM
It is listed for $87, ccpp. Kinda pricey I think. Where did you see that it was $51?

ccpp
11-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
It is listed for $87, ccpp. Kinda pricey I think. Where did you see that it was $51?

http://www.performancemotorcars.com/catalog.php?l=wizard.jsp?partner=pmc&year=1988&make=HO&model=ACC--006&category=N&part=Brake+Master+Cylinder

Assuming it is for an 88 accord lxi, 88 and 89 use the exact same MC.

N3000-85496 Brake Master Cylinder Nippon $51.21

DBMaster
11-04-2002, 07:09 AM
Hmmm. When I pulled up the listing for an 89 LXi (my car) it came up with the $87 one.

DBMaster
11-04-2002, 07:25 AM
I can't use the Nippon. The only part listed for the 89 is the Adler and it does not cross reference to the Adler for the 88. I called my local Honda dealer and the part number is different for 88 and 89.

Thanks anyway.

ccpp
11-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Oh I didnt know that. :banghead:

ccpp
11-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ccpp

I just got a MC from manhonda.com 2 days ago for a 96 accord with abs. It costs 82 plus 9 for shipping. It is a "Nissin". I don't have time to put it in yet. I think the MC for a 3G is actaully cheaper than that.

My mistake. I just check their sites and both manhonda and majestic honda want $140 plus shipping for the MC.

DBMaster
11-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Thanks for your trying to help, though.

I went ahead and ordered a new one locally for $73. No biggie.