PDA

View Full Version : Question About Installing Transmission

Site
11-02-2002, 02:32 PM
I have the new clutch in. Now I'm trying to put the transmission back in. I have it supported with a jack and a couple of jackstands. It appears to be all lined up. It just won't go back in.

Does anyone have any tips on re-installing the tranny?

88LXi68
11-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Get everything lined up including dowels. Then, start 1 bolt and by tighting the bolt it will draw the tranny in.

AZmike
11-02-2002, 03:33 PM
I wish I knew the trick to make it fast. It took me forever to get that thing back in last weekend. Try spinning the crank a few degrees to get the splines on the mainshaft lined up. I had a setup the kept it from falling and held it close to the right position and I would lift it from underneath and sort of shake it in the right position. Finally after turning the crankshaft a little again the main shaft slid into the clutch. Your clutch is already centered, right?

I'd recommended against using the bolts to pull it together until you've got the mainshatf in the clutch disk. Otherwise tightening the bolts without everything lined up will pull the mainshaft into the space that your clutch disk is in now and bend it up nicely. then you'd get to start all over.

PhydeauX
11-02-2002, 05:45 PM
2 people. Makes it go real fast. Funstick and I got the hybrid trans back into my car in no time. Once you get the shaft sitting in the disk, make sure its parallel with the engine and just twist it untill the splines line up. Then push it home.

andy

shepherd79
11-02-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
Get everything lined up including dowels. Then, start 1 bolt and by tighting the bolt it will draw the tranny in.
i have to agree with it. I just changed flywheel and clutch on my friends 87 4runner. we ran into the same problem, it went in but the last .5" wouldn't go anywhere. so i just started to tighten the bolts and it is fine now.

Dutchboy
11-02-2002, 10:11 PM
the last half an inch is where the pilot bearing is...thats what makes it tough.....

i wouldnt recomend using a bolt unless the tranny is near ...like real close to being all the way...and use one on top and one on the bottom...
my buddy just rebuilt his tercel engine and he put it on the tranny and it wouldnt bolt up right,,,,so he took a long as bolt and cranked in on there....HE CRacked the damn casing off!!!! right were the starter bolts on .....no hes screwed....dont let it happen to you!!!!!!
good luck on the change over.......

BEn

AZmike
11-03-2002, 07:15 AM
There is no pilot bearing in our cars.

ACCORD EX
11-03-2002, 08:53 AM
that's a tip going to the Clutch how to !
btw how long did the clutch job take ? are you experienced or not ?

MIKE

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 10:36 AM
:rolleyes: oooooh..!! i havent replaced one on my car yet so i havent looked at the diagrams....

eeeerrr...then the tranny should go on all the way....
aahh just dont ruin the tranny casing while forcing it on..
if only it were on a hoist hey?

BEn