PDA

View Full Version : Obd0 tuning.... Ideas to avoid obd1

88lxi-shortram
05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
im already gathering parts for my boost kit and im about half way done so now its time to start focusing on the "fun" part.... tuning parts. i know all about going obd1 but would like to stay obd0 just to be unique and say yea i boosted obd0 PROPERLY. so i was thinking about what id need. i know fuel will need a bump so bigger injectors and pump are neccesary. also considering a 6AL box to accompany my lonely blaster 2 coil. i have an aem fpr laying around at my disposal so i think all of that will handle my fuel needs.... one thing i want to know about is megasquirt. is it worth it or will i be just find doing a raw mechanical tune? in only gonna push 6-8 lbs but i still want to insure that i make it as reliable as possible... any thoughts?

Tdurr
05-20-2013, 03:53 PM
no 6al, I had a summit digital ignition box I paid like 100ish for. gave me all the features I needed, boost timing retard, launch control, ect its all in my build thread in the turbo section. But you need to get a SAFC, Dsm 450cc injectors, a good fpr and gauge wouldn't hurt, a wideband is needed, and that's all you need to do obdo and have it work. Oh and a bigger fuel pump.

IDK what a "proper" obdo set up would be but that's as close you can get on a budget imo. hell just look at my build 4door build thread and mimic it.

MessyHonda
05-20-2013, 04:07 PM
its going to be hard to tune it but you will need a SAFC, Bigger injectors, high flow fuel pump, adjustable Fuel regulator. i hope you are going to dyno tune it.

88lxi-shortram
05-23-2013, 02:39 PM
yea itll definitly be getting dyno tuned. itll definitly be a slow process though so plenty of time to research and play. basically im piecing together all of my set up by trading parts i have laying around for other parts. already got a t3/t4 garrett for a set of headers i had, im trading an amp i have for an intercooler and piping. and ill slowly be collecting parts. may splurge on a mosselman manifold if i get funds in time but well see if not ill fab one up.

Rendon LX-i
05-27-2013, 01:19 PM
I can tell you its something your going to regret. with all the money getting this oldskool way of doing it (i did) you can get a obd1 setup for the same cost and tune properly.

your going to have timing issues under boost for the price of a 6al and the safc and wideband is a waste in my opinion.

do yourself a favor and go obd1. i blew up 2 motors cause of lean timing issues. (takes more time to tune with a safc and a tuner hates it. have to click and click its a very timely process. i got charged for tuning with a safc. there like texting.

if you want to blow money on bs go the old way. want to spend less and tune via hondata,neptune,crome,ectune.exc. and have a good running car then go obd1. at the end of the day you will regret it.

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Megasquirt it and be done with it. Read the manuals a couple of times. It may be more work than OBD1 (for now), but you'll understand what every change does to your tune. You end up with less of a self education when using an off the shelf kit or strictly following a guide.