PDA

View Full Version : Light go up won't go down

waybel
11-03-2002, 05:38 AM
My lights on my 89 EXI will pop up with the headlight switch only and will not go down.The centre switch to put them up and down does nothing.I have tried known working relays,controls,centre switches and motors and yes checked fuses but get the same result.Also the rear defrost did not work i presume and the previous owner ran a wire from the engine fuse box but i doubt this problem has anything to do with the other..thanks in advance for any help.

ACCORD EX
11-03-2002, 09:14 AM
may be the switch got stuck !

MIKE

waybel
11-03-2002, 11:41 AM
Thanks Mike but I tried another known working switch with the same result.Seems like no power getting to centre switch

89AccordNate
11-03-2002, 01:35 PM
Sounds like to me its the switch beside the steering wheel that you use to turn on your headlights. These things break on our cars!

Nate.

waybel
11-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Tried a known working one of those also Nate.

DBMaster
11-03-2002, 05:07 PM
There are several linkages from the retractor motors to the headlight assemblies as well as two pivot points on each headlight assembly. I recommend lubricating all these points at regular intervals, 2-3 times a year. I like to use Super Lube. It's a liquid teflon lubricant in a spray can with a plastic hose.

Try this. Pull the retractor fuses from the box under the hood. Take the caps off the manual retractor knobs (the plastic caps with the arrows printed on them). Try working each headlight manually and see if you feel any binding in the up or down direction. If you do, try lubricating the pivot points and see if that helps. It is possibly too late and you might need to replace one or both of the motors. I knew people in the early 90's with far newer 3g's that had the motors go bad from lack of lubrication.

Good luck!

waybel
11-03-2002, 06:05 PM
I also tried a working motor from my other parts car and it did exactly the same as the 2 in this car now.I did not even hook it up to the headlight assembly so no chance of binding.I have switched every possible part from 1 car to the other just to make sure as the headlights retractors worked fine in the parts car.About the only parts i have not changed are the fuse boxes and the wiring harness and i hope i do not have to change the harness.

Wayne

anchovies
11-04-2002, 12:44 AM
I don't know if this is a stupid suggestion or not but why not try taking one part from the not working one and try it on the working system.
Well, if you already elimated those parts, I guess there's no choice but the other 2 left :D
good luck

rutterg
11-04-2002, 08:57 AM
The symptoms described are the same i had when i bought my aerodeck. lights went up but not down, removed fuses en turned them down manually. what helped me was some shots of contact-spray (the kind you can also use for you stereo). i sprayed the ligh switch, retractor switch, and the connectors on the motors. lights went down again, by both switches.
You can also check if everyting is properly grounded.

waybel
11-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Hello guys ,found the problem.2 broken wires in the passenger fender well.Fixed popup lights and rear defrost probs.thanks to all for the help.I will try to help out others if i can.

Andrew's Accord
11-07-2002, 06:49 AM
i have the same problem, checked all fuses, motors, etc. i soppose my problem could be a wireing problem as well. My defrost works thou? odd i guess, any ideas? also, where was that wire you found that was broken

waybel
11-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Look under the plastic covers of both front fenders.The wiring harnesses run through both.What exactly do your popup lights do?Do either go up or down with the light switch or the centre switch?Have you checked the control unit ,the relays?

Andrew's Accord
11-08-2002, 07:18 AM
they go up with the light swtich, the center switch does nothing either way, useless, but i tested it, and it tested good.