PDA

View Full Version : My hood unlatched, slammed against my windhield while driving at 75 mph..true story.

1989accordaz
05-24-2013, 10:19 PM
So I was driving on 1-19 in Tucson, going 75...when all of a sudden my hood slammed against my windshield, cracked it, knock down my rear view mirror...I hit my brakes, could see anything in front of me, the hood is blocking my view, I hit my brakes, I hear tires screeching behind me, I moved over to my right, using my side view mirror, I could see a couple of vehicles trying to avoid me...I managed to pull over to the side of the freeway, safe and out of the road. I got out to inspect the damage, the hood latch cable is not attached to the latch and it just looks damaged, my windshield is broken and my hood is done. Is bent out of shape, one of the hood latches broke but the other didn't, otherwise it would have been flown back to traffic behind me.

After the initial shock, I used a bungee cord around the front bumper and the hood latch...I start my car, try to drive off to the next exit ramp and then my car just died.

The engine turns but it won't fire up. I don't hear the fuel pump energize when I turn the key to the on position. Will troubleshoot tomorrow. I am home now and need a drink.

I'll post an update as I find out why it won't start...

Have you seen the movie Tommy Boy when the hood of the car they are driving comes up and blocks their view??? on the freeway? I bet I had the same facial expression as they did in that movie.

1989accordaz
05-25-2013, 08:01 AM
So now that my car won't start, engine turns but won't fire up. I put some starting fluid down the carb and it fires up. Fuel pump fuse is OK. I am looking for the fuel pump relay since I don't hear the pump energizing. Can't find it so far.

Found it here: Google Image Result for http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/KALAMYKID/2011-06-25_204022_fuel_pump_relay_location.jpg (http://tinyurl.com/plkt2m9) Shop Manual for testing page 11-47

lostforawhile
05-25-2013, 08:54 AM
you are carb right? it should run for just a second when you turn on the key, then when the car starts and it detects ignition pulses from the distributor, it should run constantly, are any of the wires from the dizzy damaged from the hood? i

1989accordaz
05-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Yes it is Carb and no visible damage at the dizzy.

So far, there is continuity between #3 terminal at the relay plug and body ground. There is also 12v from the battery to the relay using a voltmeter. when key is on the on position and positive probe attached to #2 terminal and negative to #3 terminal.

Now when I jump terminal #1 and # terminal #2 with the ignition on, The fuel Pump should run, but it doesn't.

The next thing to do is to check Yellow wire between the fuel pump and cut off relay and black wire from the fuel pump to ground.

Not sure how easy it is to get to the fuel pump to test this wires though...or if there is a switch that I need to reset.

lostforawhile
05-25-2013, 10:42 AM
no switch there is an acess plate over the fuel pump, drivers side

1989accordaz
05-25-2013, 10:51 AM
So I jack the car up and remove the access plate or is it accessible from the inside under the back seat? Seems that I need to remove the back seat for what I read ...

Ok, I am going to a local pull a part and see if they have the relay, so far, not even the dealer has it.

lostforawhile
05-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I cant remember, on the hatch I know it's right behind the back seats, you just flip them down

1989accordaz
05-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Found the access cover, I removed the seat back and just used a screw driver to pull the plate, the connector for the pump is right there. Yellow and black wire. I am going to replace the relay first, going a a pull a part and see if they have one. None of the local stores carry it, or the stealership. Thanks for the help lostforawhile, I'll post updates. Somehow, driving at high speed and breaking didn't seat well with my relay or my pump.

lostforawhile
05-25-2013, 12:48 PM
if you bypassed the relay and the pump didnt run it's not the relay

1989accordaz
05-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes , that is what I am afraid of...There is no voltage to the plug at the pump. So it is not getting the volts to start...

EDIT: There was voltage at the pump connector , when bypassing the relay. Somehow I didn't have my jumper making good contact between terminal #1 and terminal #2.

lostforawhile
05-25-2013, 03:02 PM
if the relay isnt bypassed there wont be voltage, you bypass the relay then test for voltage if it's not running

lostforawhile
05-25-2013, 04:26 PM
i would check to see if the pump runs with 12 volts to it, and also check the ground for the pump, if both of those are good then the pump is bad, i have a carb pump here somewhere, it's an airtex, it wasnt used much, i have a different fuel system now, but you can have it if I can find it, I have no use for it, and I haven't been able to give the thing away

1989accordaz
05-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I ll bypass the relay and check for voltage at the pump connector, if there is voltage, then has to be the pump. If there isn't, I 'll check the yellow wire to the relay terminal. The ground for the pump connector checks ok. I need to check the yellow wire. And for good measure, I'll connect the pump to 12v and see if it responds. I am out of wire so I need to go to autoparts and buy some.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it..

lostforawhile
05-25-2013, 05:22 PM
ill try and find that pump if you need it, it sat unused in the tank but it looks to be ok, I paid a hundred bucks for the assembly, but I dont need it, I have a facet low pressure pump under the car, best if someone can use it rather then it take up space, it's yours if you need it

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 06:06 AM
If it comes down to it, I'll buy it from you.

So far, tested all fuses and they all check.

Tested all cut off relay terminals, it has ground. It 12v from the battery when ignition is on the on position. It has 12 v from ignition switch to the cut off relay.

But when cut off relay is bypassed, the pump does not come on.

The pump connector has two terminals, black wire and yellow wire. Black wire is ground, checks ok. Yellow wire does not have continuity. So it is not getting 12 v from the cut off relay.

EDIT: There is continuity between yellow wire at pump connector and terminal #1 at cut off relay.

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Is there a main relay that I may be forgetting about? If I understand correctly, only fuel injected have a main relay....

lostforawhile
05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
If it comes down to it, I'll buy it from you.

So far, tested all fuses and they all check.

Tested all cut off relay terminals, it has ground. It 12v from the battery when ignition is on the on position. It has 12 v from ignition switch to the cut off relay.

But when cut off relay is bypassed, the pump does not come on.

The pump connector has two terminals, black wire and yellow wire. Black wire is ground, checks ok. Yellow wire does not have continuity. So it is not getting 12 v from the cut off relay.

Going to trace the yellow wire and see where it is that is not connected.

you dont have to buy it, giving it away, I cant guarantee it's good, but I'm pretty sure it still is, there's no point in it collecting dust, I have enough junk

lostforawhile
05-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Is there a main relay that I may be forgetting about? If I understand correctly, only fuel injected have a main relay....no main relay, just follow the wire along the door sill, there is a connector there somewhere if I remember right, I'll get out my electrical book later

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 08:28 AM
OK I went back and recheck. Terminal #1 to cut off relay goes to yellow on the fuel pump and THERE is continuity.

I connected 12V to the fuel pump and it doesn't make a noise. At this point I believe is the fuel pump.

lostforawhile
05-26-2013, 08:51 AM
OK I went back and recheck. Terminal #1 of cut off relay goes to yellow on the fuel pump and THERE is continuity.

I connected 12V to the fuel pump and it doesn't make a noise. At this point I believe is the fuel pump.I wonder if the connector came off at the pump somehow during all of that, it's possible, it's odd that is was fine before all that mess

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 08:57 AM
I just bypassed the relay jumping terminal #1 and terminal #2 and there are 12V at the pump connector when on the on position. Positive is the fuel pump. Considering that it fires up when starting fluid is sprayed down the carb. I just didn't want to assume.

Testing the cut off relay can be found on page 11-46 and 11-47 on the shop manual.

The connector was firmly connected to the pump, but somehow, it just died during the accident. Maybe it was on its way out and that did it.

Now I am moving into removing the pump. I don't think I can do it front the access panel. But I'll do some research. I have the shop manual and it says to drop the tank. So that will be my next move.

EDIT: Fuel pump can be replaced from the access cover located under the back seat.

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 10:56 AM
OK, I replaced the pump, it now energizes when the key is on the on position. That is good!

The bad new is now my engine is not turning. My starter had been acting up, it would click but not engage, I would have to try it several times before it engaged.

Now it just clicks and clicks and clicks. Engine doesn't turn, even though it did up until yesterday, but I noticed that at some point it stop turning the engine. I think it was going bad and all that starting and turning the engine just killed it.

Back to the drawing board and troubleshoot the starter...but first I am having the battery tested. I have a feeling that with all that cranking I drained it and that is why it won't crank.

Lostforawhile, thank you for offering the fuel pump, but since this is my daily driver, I need it working asap, hopefully before Tuesday.

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 01:09 PM
OK, new fuel pump energizes...engine cranks but won't fire up.

I took the carb lid off and the screen to see if gas squirts into the carb when it is energized and nothing comes out.

So even though I have a new pump, it is still not getting to the carb.

Fuel gauge reads half full.

Any ideas?

lostforawhile
05-26-2013, 01:21 PM
OK, new fuel pump energizes...engine cranks but won't fire up.

I took the carb lid off and the screen to see if gas squirts into the carb when it is energized and nothing comes out.

So even though I have a new pump, it is still not getting to the carb.

Fuel gauge reads half full.

Any ideas?
fuel filters? one is at the back under the car, near the wheel, and one is at the carb itself, sometimes you also have to turn the key on and off a few times to get the system primed, after replacing a pump, the pump will only run for a second when the key is on, then will run once the engine starts, you can make sure everything is sealed up, and bypass the relay for a few seconds with the key on, to prime the pump,

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
I energized the pump so it could prime about 40 times and still no fuel at the carb. I disconnected the fuel filter at the carb and no fuel comes out. I am going to disconnect the fuel filter by the gas tank and see if fuel comes out there.

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Well, my new fuel pump is not pumping any fuel, with the relay bypassed and just let the pump run for a minute, with the fuel line disconnected before the filter by the gas tank...and nothing comes out even though I can hear the pump running. I am wondering if a) It is a defective new pump or b) my fuel gauge got stuck showing half tank and I am actually empty...will remove and re install the fuel pump and make sure the gasket is making a good seal...

lostforawhile
05-26-2013, 04:34 PM
where did you get the pump and what brand is it? if it's the carter from Nappa they are complete garbage, went through about 6 of them in a short period of time, even Oreilies wont carry them anymore,too many returns, I've gotten many crap pumps over the years, if you can find it, the best is the bosch one

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Bought at Autozone. The brand is Airtex E8269H. I am in desperate mode since stores close tomorrow...Last thing I am doing to check the fuel pressure. The specs for this pump calls for a max of 4psi and minimum of 2 psi...if I don't get that I am returning this asap.

lostforawhile
05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Bought at Autozone. The brand is Airtex E8269H. I am in desperate mode since stores close tomorrow...Last thing I am doing to check the fuel pressure. The specs for this pump calls for a max of 4psi and minimum of 2 psi...if I don't get that I am returning this asap.sounds like a pump is there fuel in the tank? if it's running and nothing is coming out, eithier the pump is bad or there isnt anything in the tank, I've seen them before where the rubber hose between the pump and hanger wasnt even tightened

1989accordaz
05-26-2013, 08:29 PM
There is fuel in the tank, just checked. I ll continue tomorrow since I need a light in there to look at the pump. I am taking it back and find something else, without the rush. Lucky for me, auto parts are open tomorrow, some anyway. I feel like just getting one from the junkyard for cheap and buy a good one later. Not happy that this new one is not working right. I'll recheck the install tomorrow, one more time just in case I missed something.

1989accordaz
05-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Fixed!!

New pump defective, return for a new one. Now getting low fuel flow, nothing was getting to the carb. Replaced both filters, the one by the carb and the one by the fuel tank. And that was that. Fired right up after I primed the pump a couple of times.

The filter by the tank was the one restricting the flow after the new pump was installed.

So just to close this thread, here is the sequence of events.

No start after breaking at 70 mph.

Engine cranks, but does not fire up.

Engine fires up when starting fluid is sprayed down carb.

Tested cut off relay voltage to all for terminals and volts and continuity from cut off relay to pump. All check ok.

Measure voltage at the pump connectors. Checks ok.

Applied 12v to pump. Does not turn on.

Bought new pump. Still doesn't fire up. No fuel coming before the filter at the gas tank.

Defective pump, return for new pump, same model E8269H.

Installed new pump, not firing up, fuel not getting to carb. Flow OK before the filter at the tank, barely trickles after the same filter.

Installed new filters, by the gas tank and by the carb.

Prime a few times...fires right up. Fixed.

Now to replaced my windshield and hood.

Thanks lostforawhile for your help

w261w261
06-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I was in the middle lane of an interstate when a pickup truck to the right and just ahead of me had his hood fly up and wrap over the windshield. First was the noise, then he hit the brakes and faded behind. It was scary to see, the driver of that pickup must have been pretty puckered up.