PDA

View Full Version : Can clogged pcv canister cause oil leak?

Chrome_thangs
11-03-2002, 08:54 AM
I just got an oil pan gasket put on and the dude was telling me that my pcv canister is clogged:huh: ANd that caused my oil leak. How true is this? Also can these canisters be cleaned out?

smufguy
11-03-2002, 10:21 AM
well if u look inside them they are filty as hell, and yeah, if there is too much crap in it, u will see oil dripping from it, Its oil fumes basically that would stick on the inner walls and start to just drip down in time. mine was pretty shitty, so i just took it out and cleaned it with a tissue paper (paper towel if u prefer the word :D ) and then put it back in. And yeah, i did this with no intake on my car when i was doing my conversion so it was easy for me. for u, with everyone bolted on the motor should be hella difficult.

DBMaster
11-03-2002, 12:18 PM
It can also be caused by a bad PCV valve. This allows excess crankcase pressure that can force oil past the gaskets. The Honda manual says the quickest way to check the PCV valve is to squeeze the rubber hose connected to it shut while the car is idling. If it is working properly you should hear a click while squeezing and releasing the hose.

Chrome_thangs
11-03-2002, 03:37 PM
No, i just replaced my pcv valve about 2 months ago w/ last tune up. I was just asking if that could cause a oil leak.

Neuspeed007
11-04-2002, 06:40 PM
wheres the PCV canister??? and valve? this intrests me because i have an oil leak goin here. it wont STOP GOD WONT IT STOP!!!!!!!!

ACCORD EX
11-05-2002, 01:16 AM
what a pcv canister ?
hey Neuspeed007 check the faqs for the pcv valve !

MIKE

smufguy
11-07-2002, 03:25 PM
the pcv canister or the black metal box that has the pcv hose to the header is right bwt ur intake manifold bracket (if u got an efi) or right beside the left intake bracket (if u got a carb) its the black box on the left to the oil filter.

MIke i am sure u rely on the specific name, but that box is loosely calles a canister or whatnot :D