PDA

View Full Version : cold start prob

carobotics
11-03-2002, 01:39 PM
well, my car is haveing a hard time starting when it is cold out now. I have been pluggin in the block heater regularly.
Every morning I go out and give it two shots of gas and start it. It starts fine and everthing is dandy for about 10-20 seconds, this is when the rpms drop and the car dies. If I try giveing it gas as the rpms drop it dies faster. At this point, it doesn't matter if I pump the gas or not. The car will start only twice more and die immediatly after starting. Further attempts at starting the car ar futile. I get out scrape my windows, sit back in the car for a minute, don't touch the gas and the car usually starts without incident. I can then drive away with no problems. What's going on here?

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 02:09 PM
try turning the key on a few times off and on first and then hit the gas just a little bit....not all the way...only half way.

then try start it....

does it idle like it should after you do get it started???....does the fast idle kick in??

id check all your vacuums over and see if the choke is working properly...

BEn

carobotics
11-03-2002, 06:55 PM
fast idle kicks in, idles like it should until it dies. Vacuum checks fine and the choke is closeing all the way.

87AccordsterLx
11-03-2002, 07:52 PM
what does it take to keep it running at a normal idle...?? Can you get it to idle right once it warms up... ?

FrankD
11-03-2002, 08:07 PM
I'm having similar problem with my carbed 89. Starts fine, runs normal on chock for 5 seconds then starts sputtering obsenities. In my case I think the choke unloader is not working. I believe the chock plate should open just a tad right after the engine starts. With the air cleaner off I could see this was not going to happen. Any body else have an idea how to get this system working. Everything is lubed up and loose. It looks like electrical choke. Do I need to drill out rivets and check inside?

Carobotics,
After your engine dies, get somone to open the choke a bit when you restart(assuming you're carbed)

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 08:08 PM
is your heater hose hooked up and workig...

theres a hose that runs from the header to the air cleaner and theres a little flap inside that should close off the air flow from the cold air and use the warm air from the header...

if it isnt working the carb will freeze up when its freezing out..

BEn

carobotics
11-03-2002, 08:21 PM
well, that brings me to another question, actually 2. Were does that piece of crap tinfoil tube hook up to? I took out the cat. converter, so I hope it didn't hook up there. And how do I test the choke unloader.

DanG86LX
11-03-2002, 09:29 PM
"Were does that piece of crap tinfoil tube hook up to?"
Around the headers, as u can see!

"And how do I test the choke unloader."
Look at the gap between choke flap and bore, ~1/8" once the engine was started.
But i think Dutchboy had a point there with carb icing.. U may also have a look at ur EFE heater, that insulator at the carb base (if u got one)!