PDA

View Full Version : Timing gearnot engaging on 87 accord not working.

waratah
05-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi. My names Grahame, I own a feb 87 accord,5 speed 2l 12 valve injected accord. it has 186k on it.

Last night when driving at about 45 k's and doing 1500 rpm in 4th it lost all power. I removed the timing belt inspection cover and found its not engaging from the crank end,wants to but its like its loose or slipping. It appears to be in one peace. Its quite clear when turning it over it hasn't normal compression across the whole motor.

Someone probably has experienced this before, can anyone help me? Is it likely the belt, or a tensioner? belt seem easily pulled off. Seems still quite chunky, probably consistent with being changed at 100k

Is there away of determining the damage without pulling the thing to peaces? when these cars throw timing belts? do they snap them or what do they do?

Ive been told the early 87's have non interference heads.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I apologize if theres threads on this very subject, i have searched. if so could a moderator move this one?

Dr_Snooz
06-01-2013, 04:13 PM
It's a broken timing belt. Replace the tensioner, water pump, all belts and the seals behind the timing cover at the same time you replace the belt. You don't technically have to, but you'll kick yourself if you don't and then get a leak 10k miles later. It's a lot of work to get to the belt so prevention is the best policy while you have it open.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the valve cover gasket and adjust the valves at the same time either.

As you shop, be sure to ask how old the parts are that you're buying. A lot of stores are selling gaskets and seals that have been on their shelves since the late '80s. You don't want those parts. You want new ones.

These engines, for some strange reason, are non-interference so there's no need for a teardown.

Have fun!