PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem... STOP BLINKING!!!

87AccordsterLx
11-03-2002, 07:49 PM
for the past month or so my batt light will randomly and speraticly blink for short periods of time.. it has happened while using my sterio and without using my sterio.... Most of time its while Im accelerating ... it'll just blink speraticly very quickly and stop... do you guys think I have a bad ground? Sometimes when my sterio is really bumping it'll start to cut off then start blinking... my amps will go out for a sec.. all kinds of shit... Many times when I start my car after letting it sit over night it will crank up and die... What sorts of things could cause this??? Im getting ready to make a 600 mile trip to Louisiana and last time I blew my dash lighing fuse but I found out that it was a short in my fog lights .. I took those out.. plus I was driving for like 4hours before I would stop to let her rest.. it was like 95+ deg. out.. that was stupid on my part but I really wanted to get there... anyways this time its much colder... any ideas guys????

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 08:05 PM
um the alternator could be bad....the light will come on when the theres no volts reaching the battery

id first check to see if the battery connections are clean andd good and then get the battery and alternator tested....it wouldnt hurt to do this anyway since its goign to get colder and you need to be able to start it when its cold and have the power for your lights and heat

BEn

ACCORD EX
11-03-2002, 11:17 PM
check the voltage when the car is idling > 14.5 V
and ask someone to rev it to 2000 rpm should be about 15 V
could be your belt slipping !

MIKE

87AccordsterLx
11-04-2002, 11:27 AM
hmm.. ok.. so both of those things could cause the batt. light to blink... ? You guys dont think its a bad ground somewhere??? Dutchboy... My batt. terminals are spotless... I keep them as shiny as possible.. I have a one month old batt. from napa autoparts.. its the most expensive one they have... that shit will bump my music full blast for hours and not die out... so would I test the voltage by reading off of the batt. terminals???

smufguy
11-04-2002, 12:30 PM
well, check ur ground too like u said. On ur tranny and on the frame where ur negative terminal is clamped. if ur battery is strong enough to push ur stereo for hours do know its only cause ur battery is brand new basically. Check ur altenator belt and also test ur alt like mike suggested. check the ground on the top of ur valve cover and the front off the car. See if they are rusted on the ends where its bolted down. My front top of the valve cover to the front was rusted as hell so i just took it off, filed the hole and used a 4gauge with new ends to ground it. there was noticable increase in the illumination in the cabin and also the headlight did not flicker.

87AccordsterLx
11-05-2002, 01:24 AM
I'll check those things tomorrow morning... I just wanted to add that i was driving today and the light started freaking out again so just for the hell of it I took it out of gear (auto) and the light went off... what could that mean?

87AccordsterLx
11-05-2002, 03:22 PM
Well I havent had a chance to mess with anything yet but did I narrow it down by my previous post?