PDA

View Full Version : different trans fluid fill location?

2old_honda
11-03-2002, 10:40 PM
Ok, so I need to replace my drivers side axle (bad CV) but I can not get the transmission fluid fill bolt off. I have tried everything, heat, huge breaker bar, etc. the thing wont move. Is there anywhere besides that bolt that I could fill the fluid from? This is the 5speed manual transmission BTW.

Thank you! :)

Dutchboy
11-03-2002, 10:57 PM
just pull the cv and move out the way fast unless you want to get coveered in oil!!!!!

thats what i did in my old accord...(actually i forgot to drain it and was taken by surprise)

Ben

2old_honda
11-03-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Dutchboy
just pull the cv and move out the way fast unless you want to get coveered in oil!!!!!

thats what i did in my old accord...(actually i forgot to drain it and was taken by surprise)

Ben

I think you confused the drain bolt with the fill bolt, I need somewhere else to refill the fluid because I cant get the normal fill bolt off.

anchovies
11-04-2002, 12:15 AM
Not that I know of.
How about an impact wrench? I guess that's the only thing you can try. But if even heat doesn't work, I don't know what does. Oh yeah...pb blast that sucker 1st
good luck

carotman
11-04-2002, 08:00 AM
That's why I always remove the fill bolt before I remove the axles. I was caught once with that bolt stuck like a bastard.

What I did was to lift the side of the car the most that I could and filled the tranny with oil through the axle hole.

I didn't know if there was enough fluid in it but there was enough fluid to drive to a shop and get that bolt removed with an impact wrench.

You can try to use a regular wrench and hit it with a rubber hammer (thats what I call my ghetto impact :D )

2old_honda
11-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by carotman
That's why I always remove the fill bolt before I remove the axles. I was caught once with that bolt stuck like a bastard.

What I did was to lift the side of the car the most that I could and filled the tranny with oil through the axle hole.

I didn't know if there was enough fluid in it but there was enough fluid to drive to a shop and get that bolt removed with an impact wrench.

You can try to use a regular wrench and hit it with a rubber hammer (thats what I call my ghetto impact :D )

Well I havent removed the axle yet, so I could take it to a shop if I have to. What did they charge you to remove it?

Would it be possible to fll it if I removed the speed sensor and filled it through there?

jteuton
11-04-2002, 01:01 PM
get a monkey wrench....IT WILL come loose using one of them. Mine seemed like it was welded on there and i had a 2 ft. long pipe using on it and cracked 2 sockets in half so I grabbed a pipe/monkey wrench and boy did it bite down and give that thing hell.....it came off real easy with that.

carotman
11-04-2002, 05:26 PM
they charged me 10 bucks

AZmike
11-05-2002, 10:31 AM
I was getting an alignment at the Honda dealer and was in the service bay because the tech didn't know how to adjust camber on my car (he had never seen the Prelude upper arms). I mentioned that my fill bolt was stuck and he said it was a common problem and used an air chisel at about 45 degrees on the flange of the bolt so it dug into the metal and pushed it CCW. He had it loose in a few seconds (no charge, nice guy).

I had tried just about everything to get that thing off. I rounded the bolt using a socket and breaker bar; PB blaster doesn't help becuase of the seal created by the crush washer. Without access to air tools you may have to drop the tranny and use a pipe wrench (I couldn't fit one in there with it on the car). I think it would definitely be worth a bit of money at a shop to save all the hassles I went through. You could fill it through the speed sensor hole, but you'd had no way to know if you had overfilled it.

2old_honda
11-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Hey thanks a lot! I can use my friends air chisel. Thats a great idea! :)

one more question- what size is the axle nut? 32mm? 35mm? something like that? I cant remember.

anchovies
11-05-2002, 10:33 PM
32mm