PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Gears

89LXiCoupe
11-03-2002, 10:59 PM
I don't really know what's the problem because after replacing the clutch, it still grinds from gear 1 to 2 if I go any faster than 15 mph. I can't launch my car anymore all because of that. It shifts, but grinds and I don't want to grind it like that. Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem?

Scorpion88LX
11-03-2002, 11:05 PM
play with the clutch cable adjust nut, try and get the clutch point off the floor

89LXiCoupe
11-03-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion88LX
play with the clutch cable adjust nut, try and get the clutch point off the floor

The cable adjust nut had been done. I'm not too sure what you mean by getting the clutch point off the floor.

socal3rdgen
11-04-2002, 08:39 AM
he means that the clutch cable might not be pulling the realease arm up far enough. and that your clutch pedal when its on the floor is semi disengaging the clutch. you clutch should be fully disengaged when it is on the floor and about a inch up it should start to grab. maybe you clutch point is under that 1 inch and its not fully disengaged = grinding.

Scorpion88LX
11-04-2002, 09:55 AM
exactly

89LXiCoupe
11-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
he means that the clutch cable might not be pulling the realease arm up far enough. and that your clutch pedal when its on the floor is semi disengaging the clutch. you clutch should be fully disengaged when it is on the floor and about a inch up it should start to grab. maybe you clutch point is under that 1 inch and its not fully disengaged = grinding.

Oh, so that's what he meant. But still, if this was to happen, shouldn't all my gears grind and not just the second gear?

socal3rdgen
11-04-2002, 10:23 AM
have you ever noticed that when your in 4th and 5th that your car doesnt jerk even if your gas is on full throttle. vyour lower gears dont need as much engagement. you can actually revmatch each gear. but i would not recommend it cuz you will fuck up your tranny. so the asnwer is no. im just tryin to get you thinking. :D

jteuton
11-04-2002, 10:31 AM
1. check oil 2. get somebody to check first and second gear....the synchros or something might be worn ( i really don't no much about that)

socal3rdgen
11-04-2002, 10:35 AM
oh yeah i forgot all about that. the synchros might be worn. if so a tranny place will be able to tell you if they are. if they are then you need to get a new tranny. or used or rebult one.

anchovies
11-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Did you replaced the clutch yourself and when? How about warranty if you brought it to the shop? Just go in and start bitching.

89LXiCoupe
11-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Well, me and my brother did it ourselves just this past June. He knows his stuff and I do trust him working on the car. Let's see, he put the motor in for me almost a year ago and did all that stuff while I was away for school and not only that, but he's worked with many trannies before. He even rebuilt the motor in his Legend. See, his belief is that if he knows that he could do it, then he won't rely on someone else to do it for him. I just had to ask about my gear grinding, but he said he'll find a weekend off to check it out for me.