PDA

View Full Version : Problems Developing !!!! :(

gr3k0sLaV
11-04-2002, 06:41 AM
Ok a couple of problems have just sparked up first started nearly week ago, when I'd be leaving work, usually around 1am, and i'd be getting alternator whine on my speakers, something i've never heard before.....it'll eventually go away once the car warms up, would I be wrong in saying the alternator is going?

Second, tonight im driving, just take my foot off the accelerator and notice the Revs are going up and down, strangely, this seemed to have stopped and not happened since but for it to happen in the first place is strange enough to warrant c oncern,

also just for the record my car is EFI.

-Cheers

carotman
11-04-2002, 08:04 AM
When the revs go up and down, do you only see the tach acting strangely or can you FEEL the engine going up and down in revs?

gr3k0sLaV
11-04-2002, 08:27 AM
i could hear the engine, as well as seeing the tach, and could feel the far pulling strangely. It all ceased when I put the food on the accel and hasn't done it since.

smufguy
11-04-2002, 12:40 PM
u could have had a bad or sticky throttle linkage on the TB. i noticed that when i fired my car up after the conversion and noticed my car would like bog, like rev up and down. it was the sticky throttle spring. I greased it up and its now smoother. i also used carb cleaner to clean the inside of the TB where the flap rests. THe carbon deposits actually make the flap stick on the inside. I used a toothbrush and brushed it and wiped it off. and its free moving now.

My carb used to rev up and down on neutral or when just idling. But after efi, it does not happen anymore :D

Greg
11-04-2002, 06:35 PM
If your revs are going up and down like that, you should check to make sure that your coolant level is up to max in your radiator. I've noticed on 80's Hondas (including ludes and civics) with EFI, that when the coolant level is low and one of the coolant temp sensors can't get an accurate reading, the revs bounce up and down while the ECU is seeking to find the proper RPM for the coolant temp at idle.

It could be something else, but I'd check that first because it's simple.

I could see it happening now as it's getting cooler.

I didn't notice where you live, but if it's somewhere that gets freezing temps, make sure that your coolant is safe to -30degrees, and add the proper proportion of anti-freeze & water to get it to max if it isn't already.

Greg
11-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Shit, you're in Australia. So it's not getting cold now.

Well, check your coolant anyway, and then check to see if your throttle linkage is sticking.

gr3k0sLaV
11-04-2002, 10:00 PM
Yer ill check that this weekend, well summer is coming, but it's still kinda chilly some nights.

Here where I live, we have four seasons in one day.

88turboaccord
11-04-2002, 11:41 PM
If your reves go up at down, either your MAP sensor is going bad, or you have a vacuum leak..

gr3k0sLaV
11-05-2002, 01:25 AM
just strange, thanks for all that.

Im going to start poking around this weekend, are new map sensors cheap?

just strange the alternator problem happens at night only, until the car warms up...