PDA

View Full Version : Winter hard start symptoms during the summer...it happened today.

1989accordaz
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I start the car, has a hard time firing up, unless I give it gas. As soon as I stop giving it gas it dies. Usually this happened during the winter, but this morning in Tucson was like 75 degrees. So the choke couldn't have been closed all the way.

So to get it going, I hold the choke with a pencil, to open it all the way, until it is in its vertical position and then start, wait for a few minutes and is back to normal.

I'll clean the choke and makes sure it's not getting stuck, and see what happens tomorrow morning.

1989accordaz
12-23-2013, 09:32 PM
So I was looking back at this post. I dreaded winter because on really cold mornings, sometimes my car would start, and I had to give it gas for it to warm up and not die. It would take a while, sometimes it would warm up and as soon as I took the foot off the gas it would die. I figured I was flooding it. Had to wait for about half hour then it would start ok.

A couple of months ago, my timing belt stripped. So I replaced it, adjusted the timing. And I also replaced the hot air pipe since it had a hole in it, the air suction tube, spark-plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor.

Ever since, the problems that I was experiencing are gone. Now it doesn't matter how cold it is, it starts right up and it doesn't die. Not sure what fixed the problem with everything I did, but it is fixed. Just as an FYI and follow up.

Charlie5280
01-16-2014, 08:28 PM
So I was looking back at this post. I dreaded winter because on really cold mornings, sometimes my car would start, and I had to give it gas for it to warm up and not die. It would take a while, sometimes it would warm up and as soon as I took the foot off the gas it would die. I figured I was flooding it. Had to wait for about half hour then it would start ok.

A couple of months ago, my timing belt stripped. So I replaced it, adjusted the timing. And I also replaced the hot air pipe since it had a hole in it, the air suction tube, spark-plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor.

Ever since, the problems that I was experiencing are gone. Now it doesn't matter how cold it is, it starts right up and it doesn't die. Not sure what fixed the problem with everything I did, but it is fixed. Just as an FYI and follow up.

Good to hear. Amazing your car has 300k miles!