PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing questions...

Angelois
06-07-2013, 04:55 PM
So, I've been trying to find the answer to this all day, I know my bearings are pretty well shot and need to be replaced and bearing have to be pressed onto the hub with a press I don't have! But I ordered the hub/bearing assembly I really don't want to take the whil knuckle to a shop and have the thing pressed in so I mean my question is is it possible to replace the hub assembly myself? Maybe like how would I go about doing that? If the bearing comes not pre assembled on the hub can I take just the bearing and bum down have the bearing pressed on and go about my way? Never replaced bearings before (obviously) but after my bearings are done got my whole front end pretty much up to par and ill be happy once again lol so I kinda anxious here, well besides the exhaust, went over a small curb to get back onto the road after pulling off to putup a relay for life sign up ripped the whole thing off lol.... Waiting for a new parts there but I plan on doing both together so I just need to know about these bearings!

lostforawhile
06-07-2013, 06:48 PM
So, I've been trying to find the answer to this all day, I know my bearings are pretty well shot and need to be replaced and bearing have to be pressed onto the hub with a press I don't have! But I ordered the hub/bearing assembly I really don't want to take the whil knuckle to a shop and have the thing pressed in so I mean my question is is it possible to replace the hub assembly myself? Maybe like how would I go about doing that? If the bearing comes not pre assembled on the hub can I take just the bearing and bum down have the bearing pressed on and go about my way? Never replaced bearings before (obviously) but after my bearings are done got my whole front end pretty much up to par and ill be happy once again lol so I kinda anxious here, well besides the exhaust, went over a small curb to get back onto the road after pulling off to putup a relay for life sign up ripped the whole thing off lol.... Waiting for a new parts there but I plan on doing both together so I just need to know about these bearings!

best to take the knuckle assembly off and take it to someone who knows what they are doing, i used a 20 ton press and I do know what I'm doing, and it was still a complete pain in the ass, order some new ARP wheel studs before you do anything, they arent that much more then cheap studs, while the bearings is off the hub, it literally takes a couple of minutes to change all four studs, the ARP are much stronger and have a tapered end, so they are much harder to cross thread, the lug nut self centers, wheel studs fatigue over time

Dr_Snooz
06-07-2013, 07:48 PM
The bearing is pressed into the knuckle and then the hub is pressed into the bearing. You can do it all yourself with a small sledge hammer and a proper sized socket if you want. I have a large-sized socket set that I use. There really isn't a way to keep from having to remove the knuckle though. Just pull the knuckle and secure it in a bench vise. Pound out the old bearing, grease up the new one and gently work it in. Light taps will slowly walk it into place. When you feel it bottom out, stop.

Lostforawhile makes a good suggestion about replacing the lug studs when you have it apart. Also consider replacing the lower ball joints. You'll have to remove the knuckle to replace any of those items and that is a lot of work. Best to get it all done at one time.

lostforawhile
06-07-2013, 07:50 PM
The bearing is pressed into the knuckle and then the hub is pressed into the bearing. You can do it all yourself with a small sledge hammer and a proper sized socket if you want. I have a large-sized socket set that I use. There really isn't a way to keep from having to remove the knuckle though. Just pull the knuckle and secure it in a bench vise. Pound out the old bearing, grease up the new one and gently work it in. Light taps will slowly walk it into place. When you feel it bottom out, stop.

Lostforawhile makes a good suggestion about replacing the lug studs when you have it apart. Also consider replacing the lower ball joints. You'll have to remove the knuckle to replace any of those items and that is a lot of work. Best to get it all done at one time.

his has been in there a long time they may be stuck, i had an awful time getting my bearings to come free from the knuckle

Angelois
06-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Already had the lower ball joints replaced literally just had em done..... Kind of sucks, so I have to pull the knuckle out then huh? Really didn't want to but if I have to so be it lol.

Dr_Snooz
06-09-2013, 05:17 PM
You don't HAVE to do anything. That's just the way we all do it. If you can figure a better/faster way, then rock on! (Just post up what you did here, please).

Legend_master
06-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Definitly have to agree with the hub thing. I just keep an extra set of hubs, so I am not without a car if anything needs to be removed and brought to a shop. So you might consider grabbing some from a junkyard.

2ndGenGuy
06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Get the $100 front wheel bearing kit from Harbor Freight. You don't even have to take the knuckle off the car if you use the toolkit. I've done the wheel bearings on my car and 2 other cars because it was so ridiculously easy. Paid for itself.

FWD Front Wheel Bearing Adapters (http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-front-wheel-bearing-adapters-66829.html)

Dr_Snooz
06-10-2013, 06:06 PM
That is super cool!

lostforawhile
06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
it's really not that hard to get the front hub off, you have to dismantle most of it anyway,since the CV joint has to come out, i dont know why the trouble to install it on the car. the alignment isnt an issue on our cars,since you can take the suspension apart, and reassemble it without disturbing it anyway

Civic Accord Honda
06-11-2013, 11:17 AM
just had to show me another cool tool i need to buy!!!!

Angelois
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Well i ended up taking em out and going to like the only shop in town that would press in bearings, even called honda in such desperation and they wouldnt do it because it wasnt a honda oem part, I asked em and when they said yes i was so excited and then he continued saying is it a oem bearing and my heart was shattered lol.... 106$ later for just press work..... she drives like a champ again, and its quite lovely not to hear any noise coming from the front end when driving lol!!! I love it.. BUT now to drop the oil pan for a third time in an attempt to get the gasket on correctly, thought i had it on there right this time didnt leak a drop but low and behold its not seated right in the front and i get a nice drip now. weather here has been hot and humid so it really sucks getting out of work to get home and work on her but after this pan is done and done right she'll she good as new lol! should have seen the old gasket come off it wasnt rubber it literally was so dry it was plastic i could snap it i was amazed it didnt leak so much worse than it did!!!

2ndGenGuy
07-08-2013, 03:56 PM
it's really not that hard to get the front hub off, you have to dismantle most of it anyway,since the CV joint has to come out, i dont know why the trouble to install it on the car. the alignment isnt an issue on our cars,since you can take the suspension apart, and reassemble it without disturbing it anyway

It's not trouble, how is leaving it on your car trouble? It's super easy to do. And you save the work of dropping all the ball joints and driving them in to some shop, waiting on them to do them, taking time off work. You can do it in an evening if you do it yourself and not take time off work. Sure it's easier to have a shop do it, and if you're only going to have it done once, it doesn't save you money to buy the tool, but if you're going to do all that work taking it apart, why not just do the last part yourself?

lostforawhile
07-08-2013, 04:39 PM
It's not trouble, how is leaving it on your car trouble? It's super easy to do. And you save the work of dropping all the ball joints and driving them in to some shop, waiting on them to do them, taking time off work. You can do it in an evening if you do it yourself and not take time off work. Sure it's easier to have a shop do it, and if you're only going to have it done once, it doesn't save you money to buy the tool, but if you're going to do all that work taking it apart, why not just do the last part yourself?

I did do it myself, if you use a tie rod end tool, it takes just a few minutes to remove the ball joints, chances are if the original bearings are in the car, you really should replace the lower ball joint anyway, they take a beating in a double wishbone setup, top ball joint is probably shot too, good excuse to go with prelude upper arms and cheddas poly bushings for the upper arms

lostforawhile
07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
dont forget the bushing in the lower arm, by the time bearings need to be replaced,everything is probably worn out

Dr_Snooz
07-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Sure it's easier to have a shop do it,

The last shop that did press work for me destroyed my control arm. :rant:

lostforawhile
07-09-2013, 02:56 PM
The last shop that did press work for me destroyed my control arm. :rant:

Was it two freaky looking teenagers who tried to hammer it in? And who laughed a lot

Dr_Snooz
07-10-2013, 03:05 PM
:rofl:

No, it was a slack jawed slob who didn't have the right adapters, but did it anyway. I guess having the piston slip off the bushing and bash the arm several times didn't bother him. He wrecked the bushing too and then handed it all back like everything was cool. I spent a month fighting with his boss for a replacement arm.

lostforawhile
07-10-2013, 04:09 PM
http://www.dariawiki.org/wiki/images/d/d8/Daria_spareme.jpg