PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side window won't go down...

mattisonfire
06-07-2013, 06:11 PM
I've found similar threads, read the manual and I think I have to change the power window motor since I already replaced the window switch by a new one.
If anybody had the same problem before... I just wonder if someone can confirm if im wrong or not, and is it hard to replace?

86 87 88 89 Honda Accord Driver's Door Power Window Motor | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-87-88-89-Honda-Accord-Drivers-Door-Power-Window-Motor-/151047619779?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AAccord%7CYear%3A1989&hash=item232b23c4c3&vxp=mtr)

Edit: 4DR 1989 Honda Accord SEi 2.0L L4

Dr_Snooz
06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
I assume you're following the troubleshooting chart on p. 25-53 and have already checked the fuses and tested the control unit. If so, be aware that those same pages contain lots of tests. If you do the tests, you won't have to replace so much stuff. I would encourage you to do the window motor test on p. 25-57 before replacing the motor. The simplest test is to slap the door hard near the motor while trying to open the window. If it starts working, you know the brushes in the motor are worn out and that the motor needs replacement.

mattisonfire
06-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah as soon as it stops raining here ill do those tests. Even tho im pretty sure the motor is broken.

Hauntd ca3
06-08-2013, 11:47 PM
duz the motor sound like its trying to do something, or no signs of life at all?
see heaps of "my windows wont work " faults through work, most of the time its just a simple lube the runners need.

mattisonfire
06-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Well there is no sound at all when im pressing the switch so I don't think it's trying to do something, it looks really dead to me.

mrma5b
06-20-2013, 07:58 AM
I've found similar threads, read the manual and I think I have to change the power window motor since I already replaced the window switch by a new one.
If anybody had the same problem before... I just wonder if someone can confirm if im wrong or not, and is it hard to replace?

86 87 88 89 Honda Accord Driver's Door Power Window Motor | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-87-88-89-Honda-Accord-Drivers-Door-Power-Window-Motor-/151047619779?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AAccord%7CYear%3A1989&hash=item232b23c4c3&vxp=mtr)

Edit: 4DR 1989 Honda Accord SEi 2.0L L4

Did you diagnose/replace the control unit as well as the switch? They usually have symptoms of the window not wanting to move in one direction as they begin to fail.

I'm currently dealing with a faulty control unit myself, but I can't find any place to buy them from. I even took apart the dang box to find that the internal relays were worn beyond repair, but I can't even find suitable replacements for those.

Dr_Snooz
06-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Junkyard is your friend. LOL

Any updates from the OP?

w261w261
06-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Did the window just completely stop without warning? It's been awhile since I've been on the board, but is the window controller gone from Mother Honda as well?

Hey Snooz, if this is a supply problem, it's gonna be a pain problem. I've taken that controller apart, and the two relays inside are *really* small. I wonder if a workaround could be somewhat simply done to bypass the controller completely. Losing the auto down would be np, but the other relay in the controller I think does something w the other windows?

Blainethemono
08-27-2017, 08:03 PM
OK, was the "Click" sound determined to be the regulator motor being burned out, or the Master switch. I see no inline relay in the schematics, so the "click" must be coming from the motor, which means its getting power from the Master switch... correct?

Dr_Snooz
09-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Hey Snooz, if this is a supply problem, it's gonna be a pain problem. I've taken that controller apart, and the two relays inside are *really* small. I wonder if a workaround could be somewhat simply done to bypass the controller completely. Losing the auto down would be np, but the other relay in the controller I think does something w the other windows?

Not sure really. Maybe you could find some aspiring Computer Engineering major to show you his skills by fixing it? Perhaps send them off to one of those places that will refurbish your classic stereo and see if they will help you with it? You could also try calling one of those shops that sell power window kits for classic muscle cars and see if they'll sell you controllers with pinouts and retrofit them in there? Maybe use controllers from a later model and rearrange the connector pins? There's surely a way to fix them if you want it bad enough?

Blainethemono
09-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Update. The clicking sound on mine was the Control Unit. Switch and regulator were fine. Found one relay that was a little loose. Dropped some new solder on the pins, and the Window now works!!!