PDA

View Full Version : Overheat after blown heater hose - advice appreciated

MrSamson
06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
WOW - I am getting to know this accord!

I have a 88 accord 5 speed sedan.

I recently blew a hose going north toward a very long, highway bridge near where I live. Stopping on the bridge is a last choice of all choices.

Just about as I hit the bridge the car is really leaving a steam cloud behind me. I pushed the car over the bridge and off to the side of the road where it died.

I had to pull the car home with my tow dolly.

Tonight I refilled with coolant and fired it up. It seemed a little more difficult then usual to start but it did fire up. i was able to identify the guilty hose and replaced.

I am now emitting constant steam through the tailpipe through and constant when it reaches normal operating temp. It smells of coolant and I don't sense any burnt oil smell - only makes my garage seem like a sweet-smelling sauna.

I checked the oil dipstick and there is NO indication of coolant liquid getting into the engine oil.

All signs point to the head gasket as blown - possible warped head????

I am thinking that I will at least pull the head - maybe as early as tomorrow and see what might be seen.

QUESTION: WHERE oh WHERE is that engine drain plug 'toward the front of the engine' as described in Haynes. I cannot locate it in FSM either. I would really like to get all the coolant drained from the block before pulling head.

QUESTION: How do I know if it is head gasket, warped head, both, or bigger problem(s)? Could the block be warped too?

Question: How do I know if I have a cracked block or something like that?

ANY other things you give me a heads up on would be greatly appreciated.

This will be head job #3 in around 5 months if this turns out to be blown head gasket!!!

Thanks!

MrSamson
06-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I am planning on pulling the head tonight starting hopefully in an hour.

I will update (hopefully) later today at the other end of the job.