PDA

View Full Version : What is my best bet

AccordLXI89
05-13-2002, 06:36 AM
I have an 89 lxi coupe I wanna do a swap but i was wandering what would be the best for my buck. And also what would be the easiest to do
Thanx

Please let me know of any ideas

88LXi68
05-13-2002, 06:21 PM
hmm....
I am going to get flamed for this by MoonScryer but I say swapping a b16a1 is the best bang for the buck. The easiest is the JDM b20a if you can find one. The b16a1 is readily available and can be had for CHEAP. That engine has TONS of aftermarket parts too. The JDM b20a is the easiest swap since it bolts in but they are hard to find and very rare. So this means simple parts like water pumps etc. are hard to find. I am doing a b18a1 swap because I got the engine for free, but if I had to pay for an engine I would do the b16a1.

Justanothermike
05-13-2002, 06:51 PM
i will be the first to flam u 88LXI:D

the B16a will cost u around $2000-2500 for the engine and all the neccessary hardware from place racing. and that much for an engine that only has 111 lbs ft of torque at 7000 rpm:eek:

But instead u can have a B20 for probably under a grand. custom cams, mix and match headers form prelude and accord, cam gears for B series and intake and u'r pretty much set.

88LXi68
05-13-2002, 06:59 PM
I will argue back :)

That b16a1 with only 111ft/lbs of torque is weak but add nice shot of n2o or a turbo kit and then you have yourself an Old School Swap type of car. I believe he is looking at 13s this yr?

My beef with the b20a is that they are hard to find and hard to get parts for. Otherwise I would be a strong advocate for it.

Justanothermike
05-13-2002, 07:12 PM
my beef with the B16a is its GUTLESS. i'm down with it aslong as it stays in a civic

jeez and i'm tired of people fantisizing over nitrous(other wise knows as NAWZ). how often are u gonna use it? .01% of the time!? oh and its gonna be fun refilling that bottle every week. they should start selling that stuff at the gastations along with regular gas.:huh:

HondaSi88
05-13-2002, 07:13 PM
For the past 2weeks I've been running up my phone bill and emailing people like crazy trying to find all the info and part available for the b20!
And so far I've found almost nothing!!!! i even called a guy in Japan that actually spoke English......and he told me get a JDM h22a or the B whatever SIR motor 170hp.
I thought this would be easy to decide on which motor to get but its not!
But the parts for the b16 is just SICK!
Also can someone get me Placeracing number!
They haven't answered my emails!
I vote for my old A20......but for now b16 with some extra parts!

HondaSi88
05-13-2002, 07:17 PM
And for the record if anyone out there gets a b16
I would say save your money and Turbo charge it!
This guy in my Math class has a 99si turbo
and that car floats!!!!!

88LXi68
05-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Justanothermike
my beef with the B16a is its GUTLESS. i'm down with it aslong as it stays in a civic

jeez and i'm tired of people fantisizing over nitrous(other wise knows as NAWZ). how often are u gonna use it? .01% of the time!? oh and its gonna be fun refilling that bottle every week. they should start selling that stuff at the gastations along with regular gas.:huh:

easy there...I am not fantasizing over n2o (notice I DIDNT NOT PUT NOS) NOS is a brand name. I dont think n2o is the BEST but I think bang for the buck and that does the trick well. I dont know how many sprays you can get but I am sure its not every week that it needs refilling, and if it is then you are really straining that engine. Torque is what gets you off the line and horsepower is what gets speed. So around 40mph that horsepower kicks in and gets you moving. I can say this because off the line an Civic Si is even with me, around 40mph he pulls and pulls hard. If you find the routine maintaince parts for the b20a thats great but not many can.

I am not trying 2 be an ass either.

HondaSi - I have the number I will give it to you tomorrow. I am sorry I couldnt sooner, its been hectic with finals and shit.

89NinjaAccordLX
05-14-2002, 05:01 PM
For some reason this post sounds really, really, really, REALLY familiar. By the way, must the ignorance of others always be pointed out? NOS is becoming a household name (Sorta). Nobody gets all hissy when you say pass a Kleenex. Kleenex is a product name. If anyone DOES get all riled up from using it as a general term for tissues, then please smack them. And then go push the NOS button on your friend's Zex NOS kit. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man, I'm tired... VA 3geez meet is on May 17th!!!!

toastyghost
05-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Yes a healthy shot of N20 or a turbo on a B16 would = sweet, but spend the same dough on a B20 and the B20 will still smoke it hands down. And that's not to mention the fact that the guy with the B20 is going to have an extra grand or so in his pocket to get started on. NAWZ (harhar) kits cost like $600, so the B20 guy could easily eat that with what he saves on mounts and axles and all that other B16 shit.

A20A1
05-17-2002, 01:44 AM
NO2 doesn't even make it on my list of performance mods... I mean and extra 10 HP - 100 HP for 4 Min. or so ain't worth it.
I'd rather spend the money you'd be using to rifill the tanks on something like; JE Pistons, Camshaft Regrind, Titanium Valve springs, Custom SS Header/Exhaust/Muffler/Tip, Nice set of street/strip rims & tires, etc...

:p