PDA

View Full Version : AC Fan Speed Question....

mcs32jr1968
06-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Have an '89 LX auto...

just had the AC gone through...no leaks and refitted with the new legal refrigerant (R134?...I can't remember right now)...

here in Cali summer is on the way and it gets hotter than hell...

AC blows cold but fan speed at highest level seems to me to blow slow...not half as fast as my old sentra...

is there a way to speed up the AC fan?

peace all,

mcs in SoCal

Jafir
06-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Is the blower original? I had a 1986 Accord at the same time a friend of mine had a 1988 Accord, and mine had the original OEM blower motor, and it seemed to move twice as much air as my friend's A/C. His blower had gone bad, and he had the brushes replaced. Then it went bad again and he had an aftermarket blower motor installed. The aftermarket parts at the time were not direct replacements, and had to be spliced in. I've seen some situations where the wires would get reversed and the blower runs backwards. I think newer aftermarket parts may be better quality.... but for a long time I always would recommend the factory part, even if it was $200 instead of the $50 for an aftermarket.

Another thing to think about might be the evaporator box. I've seen them all nasty inside and packed full of dog hair and leaves or whatever.

Also, an R12 system with R134a is probably never going to work quite as well.... so the original system might have been able to work with less blower volume because the system was colder, or at least more efficient at cooling the volume of air. Though I have seen some R134a conversions get cold enough for the internal thermostat to allow the compressor to cycle off so that the evaporator doesn't freeze up, so you cannot really get any colder than that.

Oldblueaccord
06-23-2013, 03:12 AM
I just scored a new fan on rockauto for like 29 dollars.

I would also look at the sealing bands on all the connections usually the foam is shot so all the plastic plumbing is leaking. Also its a good idea to fuse the fan with a 20amp fuse. Its fused much higher like 70 amps and the wiring will burn up before the fuse ever blows.

derolph
06-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Is there any chance the wires are reversed on the blower motor? If the blower runs backward, the result will be very weak air flow through the vents. I just discovered this issue after replacing the motor in my 91 Accord. After replacing the motor and installing the blower unit in the car, the air flow was almost non-existent. When I finally realized the wiring might be connected in reverse and corrected it, the air flow was normal.