PDA

View Full Version : 1986 honda accord NO SPARK! what should I check? Has anyone had this problem before?

massiveheadake86
06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
I have a 1986 Honda accord I purchased the other day for 300 bucks because It wouldn't starter.

After replaceing

starter
alternator
plug wires
plugs
cap and rotor
coil

I don't have any spark. Dose anyone have a wiring diagram for the ignition system? If my main relay under the dash when bad would it cause no spark problem? What wires should have power? Any picture diagram would be great.:sad2:

HLW
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
The service manual and electrical troubleshooting manual are available from the 3geez wiki. You may have a bad ignition module on the dizzy or a bad pickup coil if you are getting no spark. It might also be a blown fuse for the ignition circuit.

Is the car carb or FI? If it is FI is the check engine light turning on and then back off after a couple of seconds or is it staying on? If it is staying on, there is a section in the manual on getting the error code and what it means.

The ignition is not controlled by the ECM on the carb and FI engines.

A quick test is to watch the tach when you try to start the engine, If the tach moves the ignition module is sending a signal to the coil. and the coil should give yo a spark unless it does not have a good ground.

Another thing to look at is the ground wires from the chassis (body) to the engine and transmission. If they are missing that could keep the engine from getting a good spark.

You should also test for power to the coil and the ignition module. To do this turn the key to the run position (II) and test for power at terminal C on the coil. To test for power at terminal C, remove the connector closer to the front of the car and test for power with a meter or test light on the bottom blade terminal in the connector on the coil. If there is no power you have a blown fuse, a bad or disconnected ignition switch or a bad coil. You sad you replaced the coil so if you replaced it with a new coil that should not be the problem but you can verify it with the procedure in the manual.

Honda service manuals - The 3geez Wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals)

That should be a good start for troubleshooting your no spark issue.

massiveheadake86
06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
sadly I have the carb model accord. My tach dose NOT move when I try and crank it over at all! Dose this mean my ignition module is bad? I have power at the coil to both black wire with white strip. The 2 blue wires seem to be ground wires. I have tested them with a DMM. So I'm thinking its the ignition module but I'm not 100% sure. I need to be 100% sure before I spend the money on a new one. Dose anyone have a known good one that's used I could purchase for cheap

Dr_Snooz
06-23-2013, 03:59 PM
A non-functioning tach would point to ICM as the culprit. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good way to test them, so diagnosing one is educated guesswork more than anything else. You can pick them up fairly cheap from Rock Auto and if you consider the value you'll add to the car by getting it running, it's a good gamble. Test the coil per the manual and eliminate other possibilities as best you can before purchasing to improve your gamble even more.

HLW
06-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Snooz A non-functioning tach can be from more than a bad ICM. The ICM needs power and a signal from the pickup coil to be able to sent the signal to the ignition coil to generate the spark. There is a procedure in the factory service manual to test the ICM (igniter in the manual). I haven't tested it myself but it is the official test procedure from Honda.

Dr_Snooz
06-25-2013, 08:57 PM
There is a procedure in the factory service manual to test the ICM (igniter in the manual).

Page number of test.

HLW
06-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Page number of test.

Sorry I forgot to put the page for the Igniter (ICM) test. It is 24-9.

apache07x
06-27-2013, 01:21 AM
When I had this problem it was the distributor for what it's worth which seems to be pretty common on these cars. Did you notice any oil inside the distributor when you had the cap off?

Dr_Snooz
06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Sorry I forgot to put the page for the Igniter (ICM) test. It is 24-9.

Is that in the '89 USDM manual? I'm showing an Ignition Control Solenoid Valve test. I'll confess that I don't know what that is, but it appears to be in the black box.

Oldblueaccord
06-28-2013, 03:48 AM
Honda Acura ignition (no spark) troubleshooting tutorial - How to (http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html)

Voltage and continuity test a b c d i think is it. Edit e f h j maybe.

I just ordered one off rock auto ill try and test it.

HLW
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Is that in the '89 USDM manual? I'm showing an Ignition Control Solenoid Valve test. I'll confess that I don't know what that is, but it appears to be in the black box.

No that is in the 86-89 master manual.

Dr_Snooz
06-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Well sir, you win the Dr_Snooz-is-eternally-in-your-debt award. I have combed the USDM manual, which I own, and scoured the web searching for a way to test those. I finally just took a gamble and bought one hoping. How that test got into the Russian manual and not the US manual is beyond me.

Thank you, thank you! :bow:

HLW
06-28-2013, 10:50 PM
You're welcome Snooz. What can I say, this girl (yes I am a girl) likes to read her manuals. That test definitely should have been in the USDM manual.