PDA

View Full Version : i need lower than low!!!!!

truett87
06-20-2013, 06:01 PM
i recently bought a 87 accord lx it was on chopped springs and blown shocks so i got ebay coilover sleeves and kyb shocks for the front. the problem is when i have the sleeves as low as possible and i have to much wheel gap what is the secret of getting so low? what setup are you running?.. i just dont want to save and get k sport coilovers and not be happy with them.. you know.. is there any secret i can do with what i have.. im going for the super slammed look. idc if there is fabricating i can do that but right now i have no idea on what to do..

88lxi-shortram
06-21-2013, 12:41 PM
to be honest dude theres alot of ways to get ground level low but it all depends on your budget. im currently on dropzone springs with 2 coils cut off and blown to shit stock struts. but surprisingly it rides decent.

Legend_master
06-21-2013, 02:24 PM
One way to do it is to remove the lower spindle of the coilover. There can be many problem with going that low. For one, the control arms can hit the wheel well arches, struts really need to be more firm, shock travel needs to be increased to prevent pre-mature shock wear.

truett87
06-21-2013, 02:47 PM
i was planning on doing top hats and what do you mean cut the lower spindle of the coilover? im just looking for another inch to 2 inches?

Legend_master
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Not cut, just unscrew the lower spindle.

truett87
06-21-2013, 03:05 PM
lol i dont know what your talking about lower spindle... sorry dude im more of a engine guy not suspention bare with me

Legend_master
06-21-2013, 03:36 PM
The 2 items you screw up and down to make the car higher and lower are the spindles. If you take the bottom one off, and lower the top one as low as possible it will take about 1/4" off the height.

truett87
06-21-2013, 04:21 PM
gotcha i had no idea they called those coilover spindles.. how bad do you think it would effect my suspension if i cut a coil of of the sleeve spring?

Legend_master
06-21-2013, 05:03 PM
I think one is called the perch, but who knows lol. It depends on the spring, read about the difference between linear and progressive spring rates. Honestly the best bet is to dish out some cash, and get proper suspension. I've had all kinds, and it really depends on what your looking to do. Just keep in mind that you car is over 20 years old, and lowering the car a bunch can put added stress on already degraded parts.

Tdurr
06-22-2013, 12:18 AM
I think one is called the perch, but who knows lol. It depends on the spring, read about the difference between linear and progressive spring rates. Honestly the best bet is to dish out some cash, and get proper suspension. I've had all kinds, and it really depends on what your looking to do. Just keep in mind that you car is over 20 years old, and lowering the car a bunch can put added stress on already degraded parts.
this. my bushing are shot thanks to the D2's i have(and almost 400k miles haha)

Legend_master
06-22-2013, 06:04 AM
this. my bushing are shot thanks to the D2's i have(and almost 400k miles haha)

Time for poly upgrades lol!!

Tdurr
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
lol i have em sitting in my room back home man. i wanna get em shipped here but ill be home in a month ish so idk if its worth it.