PDA

View Full Version : Engine dies when clutch is in and I am slowing down to stop

Inspector 71
06-24-2013, 08:40 AM
I have this problem where everything cuts out when I am stopping. I can slowly (way too slow) release the clutch to keep everything on. The RPMs just don't stay at a nice idle. I am not too familiar with older carbureted (sp?) engines or engine work for that matter. The exhaust smells a little rich (not sure if the right term) too. Any ideas before I send it to the Mechanic?

I bought this car a year ago so I am not too familiar with it.

Thanks

apache07x
06-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I have this problem where everything cuts out when I am stopping. I can slowly (way too slow) release the clutch to keep everything on. The RPMs just don't stay at a nice idle. I am not too familiar with older carbureted (sp?) engines or engine work for that matter. The exhaust smells a little rich (not sure if the right term) too. Any ideas before I send it to the Mechanic?

I bought this car a year ago so I am not too familiar with it.

Thanks

So it's a carbureted car. Hmmm does it have the original carb on it? Have you checked the spaghetti bowl of vacuum lines for leaks? These carbs start to act out after a while and there's one solution. Replace it preferably with a weber conversion kit which I believe is cheaper that a re-manufactured OEM carb. Also with as many vacuum hoses that are on these cars with the stock carb it's a definite possibility that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

2ndGenGuy
06-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Is it a problem only when you push the brakes, or will it idle if you're in neutral with your foot off the clutch?

If it only dies when your foot is on the brake, you may have the all-too-common bad brake booster.

Inspector 71
06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
You guys gave me some things to think about. I will test it out tomorrow. That brake booster things sounds wild.

Hazwan
06-24-2013, 05:29 PM
When you say rich smell how exactly does it smell like? Gas/fuel smell like or that foul smelling that hurts your eyes and probably would stick to your hair and clothes? If its the latter then you're probably running lean from vacuum leak either from the 3423432 vacuum lines down there or your brake booster is leaking

Inspector 71
07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I sent it into the shop. It works fine now. The tech said that there were some leaky hoses and made some adjustments.

2ndGenGuy
08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Cool. Glad you got it fixed.