PDA

View Full Version : this may be a stupid question.. RE: Gas

Maydnaella
11-05-2002, 04:01 PM
Ok, like the subject says..this might be really silly but...why can't I put gas in my car?

This has happened the last two times I tried to refuel...I start putting gas and then the pump clicks and goes off like it's full. Both times I was refueling I tried more than once to keep fueling but it kept clicking off. Am I doing something wrong or is my fuel gauge reading wrong (shows half empty)?

socal3rdgen
11-05-2002, 04:05 PM
the fumes activate the stopper on the tip of the fuel pump. try tilting it in diferent directions when you pump. also some pumps are very sensitive try not holding the fuel pump handle so high only squeze it half way

87Hybrid
11-05-2002, 04:47 PM
If it is one of the pumps with the hose that covers teh filler neck some one probably tried to top it off and has filled it with gas. The station atendant should be able to fix it.

YK86
11-05-2002, 06:11 PM
I noticed this as being a problem on all 80's Accords. Both 83's I had did it, the 86 and 88 do it and so does my friend's 88. I have to always have the nozzle sticking out a bit.

89AccordNate
11-05-2002, 06:42 PM
I always inhale the excess fumes when I keep it partially out, it makes for a good gas pumping experience. Smoking a cig may be fun also while pumping, but I dont smoke. You smokers may want to try this. It will make a cold day very warm, its great.

Nate.

Neuspeed87lx
11-05-2002, 06:52 PM
i like the smell of gas ..its probally not good to smell it to much when you have to drive after

Scorpion88LX
11-05-2002, 06:56 PM
this happens to me also i just pull the nozzel slightly out 1/2"- 1" sometimes more, I would just play with it for a while

PhydeauX
11-05-2002, 07:20 PM
Some pumps just don't like some cars. I spent 5 1/2 years pumping that shit. Try turning it over, not putting it all the way in, tilting it up, don't pump it on full blast, pull the rubber boot back and see if there is any gas in there (point it away from you, the stink never comes out). I never had a problem putting gas in my 83, the 85 gave me troubles untill I had the filler neck replaced on the recall.

You don't really want to be breathing the vapors, they cause cancer.

andy

socal3rdgen
11-05-2002, 07:22 PM
i dont think nate even cares hes from west virginia remember. :lol

Maydnaella
11-05-2002, 07:41 PM
oh wow, ok. Thanks guys! I'll have to try that in the morning before work then!

89AccordNate
11-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Yeah im from west virginia, we do sheep and other assorted animals here, whats a little gas going to hurt? Might make that sheep look pretty for 5 minutes :D

Nate.

anchovies
11-05-2002, 11:07 PM
Ditto, same problem here. Any gas station I go to.

87AccordsterLx
11-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Nate you never fail to crack me up man.... do your sheep have names???

si accord
11-06-2002, 12:18 AM
west virginia my ass, that aint nuthin, i'm from alabama, and ever1 down here fucks sheeps,goats,pigs,dogs,horses,cows, ummm...i dunno what else , but for real though one of my crackhead friends fucked a goat when he was drunk, now i'm kinda scared to be around him

opie

ACCORD EX
11-06-2002, 05:15 AM
i had the same problem once in my dad's car when i was filling it ! just do it gently i think it's all about pressure in the tank ! fill it up bit by bit then it'll be fine !

MIKE

socal3rdgen
11-06-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
Yeah im from west virginia, we do sheep and other assorted animals here, whats a little gas going to hurt? Might make that sheep look pretty for 5 minutes :D

Nate.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sigurl
11-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Everyone, please ignore my boyfriend, siaccord, it's not really like that in al. I'm not to sure if that's true about his friend though...He is pretty weird=)

Defiant[YD]
11-09-2002, 08:38 PM
i found that most of the older generation cars do not like the gas nozzle shoved all the way in them. it's the way the piping was designed. it's especially worse in the damn old trunks cuz it's a 90 degree bend from the gas line to the tank so u have to hold it in place pressing the gas handle around 30-45 degrees to get the gas to go in.
and if ur not sure if ur gas tank is full, there are 2 things to do:
1) listen to the gas fill up. trust me, u'll know when it's full unless ur a complete dumbass

2) keep the nozzle partially out and watch the flap in ur gas pipe where the nozzle penetrates. if it's full, u'll see gas seeping through the small holes they have in there. if u don't want to overfill, i suggest going slow so that the gas doesn't overflow and ruin the paint on your car. trust me, gas does that.

hope that helps. just a lil education from ur friendly gas station attendent.