PDA

View Full Version : An idea about guage clusters

Immeraufdemhund
11-05-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm toying with an idea to basically redo the entire cluster in our cars. What i want to do is have an lcd (notice this is want, i might have to rethink) and have it show all the guages. But it will look different. I know that is all kinda vague but there are more ideas in my head. what i want to do is pull apart my cluster find out what all those wires do in the back and have my new cluster show them. This would allow for any color guages, any brightness. Also an easy way to switch between Metric and English. I would like to have it do special movie type stuff when you turn on your car. Since i'm here i figured have it do something fancy with 3 geez, with a link at the bottom of the cluster.. anywho that's all just idea. here's the question part of it. has anyone already started at finding out what the different wires do in the back? Is it possible to get rid of the turny thing in the back of the cluster and have all the other things work off of the tach. (i say that because i remmber people saying that it goes by electrical pulses.) If i was able to do that i could just have a formula and have the computer figure out your speed. I would also want to make a keyboard type port for it so that you could customize it to how you want it to display. I have some of the programming skills for this. I just need the electronic side of this. If people think this is a reasonable thing to go for i'll continue my research and work at it some more. peace out and if it's possible to help me, i'd appreciate it.

ps.. darn they have cool inserts now!!.. i think i'll get some.

89AccordHatch
11-05-2002, 07:58 PM
sounds very cool !but im not sure how do-able it would be.

Immeraufdemhund
11-06-2002, 06:42 AM
yah me either, i'm going to take apart my cluster and find out what those connectors do.