PDA

View Full Version : Stuck oil pan

G. White
06-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm currently in the process of replacing my oil pan and gasket. I've removed all the nuts/bolts, and even the flywheel cover plate. I've pulled, hit (with a 4# mallet), tried jamming a gasket scraper in between the pan and the bottom of the block, pryed with a brass rod in the drain plug hole. The pan will not budge. I don't want to go crazy with a screwdriver, for fear of marring the mating surface of the gasket on the block side. I'm not concerned with damaging the oil pan because I have a brand new replacement in hand. Has anyone had this issue before? Any tricks to removal? Here's the details; it's the stock oil pan and gasket, and my car has a manual transmission. Thanks in advance.

truett87
06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
i know that those gaskets are usually weak in the corners.. and if your not worried about the pan that would be the place to hit it but before that i would check every bolt and nut to make sure they are all off

Dr_Snooz
06-27-2013, 06:40 PM
If the 4# sledge didn't get it, then I'd say you missed some bolts. Did you get the two bolts under the flywheel cover plate? There are two way up in there on either side of the rear main bearing. They are very hard to reach or even to see.

Oldblueaccord
06-28-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm currently in the process of replacing my oil pan and gasket. I've removed all the nuts/bolts, and even the flywheel cover plate. I've pulled, hit (with a 4# mallet), tried jamming a gasket scraper in between the pan and the bottom of the block, pryed with a brass rod in the drain plug hole. The pan will not budge. I don't want to go crazy with a screwdriver, for fear of marring the mating surface of the gasket on the block side. I'm not concerned with damaging the oil pan because I have a brand new replacement in hand. Has anyone had this issue before? Any tricks to removal? Here's the details; it's the stock oil pan and gasket, and my car has a manual transmission. Thanks in advance.

Count the holes on the new oil pan count the number bolts removed jic you missed one.

I used a 4x4 block to spread the force out when hitting it off. You can scratch the block surface so try to avoid that.

truett87
06-28-2013, 04:59 PM
i just took a oil pan off a ls today and had the same problem... what i did was when you take the bolts loose you look at where the pan and block meet i put a small flathead sd in between the gasket and the pan so when i pulled down to pry it open it didnt mess up the block preyed at 3 of the for corners and it popped right off.. and the block was crystal clean... but with yours being so old you will prob have to work at getting the gasket off

lostforawhile
06-28-2013, 07:56 PM
if the OEM pan is good, it's better then any aftermarket pan,several people have gone back to the factory one

G. White
06-30-2013, 11:51 AM
I got it!....It took me a little while,but I found that the ac bracket can be used as good leverage point to pry down the front corner of the pan. From there I used my gasket scraper to break the seal. The gasket came off cleanly in one piece. Thanks everyone for having my back...now for the next project.